Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Metter, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they brought it up for Thanksgiving weekend, knowing that the work wasn't completely done-done and they'd have to come back later to finish everything up.
Possible but it did look completed/finished on T-Day. Top layer, curbs, signage, grading and striping was complete. The only things I noticed was the entrance was an older asphalt/curbs and the porta-toilet was still on site.

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2701.jpeg

Reactions: loganwatson
I was driving from Suwanee, GA to Savannah, GA last evening. Due to rush hour traffic out of Atlanta it took me a lot longer and I ended up at Metter stalls around 11:40 pm last night. The stalls are very well situated next to a gas station with bright lights. But at 12:00 am mid night it stopped charging.. fortunately in 20 minutes i got to about 160 mile charge on my car. I tried to move my car from stall to stall but on every stall it was showing orange light on my plug in, instead of normal green blinking light (which indicates charge in progress). On the dash board the message " DC/Supercharging Stopped" was flashing. Any restrictions for this sight!! I didn't want to take chances with hotel destination charger therefore was trying to charge about my normal 80 per cent to continue my trip. However, for heads up on Hilton Doubletree Savannah Historic District they promised that they have destination charger, but when i got to the hotel it turned out to be a regular plug in charging at 3 miles/ hour. I will have to charge all day and on my way out stop at Metter! GA again.

I was driving from Suwanee, GA to Savannah, GA last evening. Due to rush hour traffic out of Atlanta it took me a lot longer and I ended up at Metter stalls around 11:40 pm last night. The stalls are very well situated next to a gas station with bright lights. But at 12:00 am mid night it stopped charging.. fortunately in 20 minutes i got to about 160 mile charge on my car. I tried to move my car from stall to stall but on every stall it was showing orange light on my plug in, instead of normal green blinking light (which indicates charge in progress). On the dash board the message " DC/Supercharging Stopped" was flashing. Any restrictions for this sight!! I didn't want to take chances with hotel destination charger therefore was trying to charge about my normal 80 per cent to continue my trip. However, for heads up on Hilton Doubletree Savannah Historic District they promised that they have destination charger, but when i got to the hotel it turned out to be a regular plug in charging at 3 miles/ hour. I will have to charge all day and on my way out stop at Metter! GA again.

i was in Savannah for dinner a few weeks ago and plugged into the destination charger at the Robinson Parking garage at 132 Montgomery Street. Pay for parking and charging is fast and free. There are several other L2s downtown, check Plugshare to see which is closest to your hotel.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

Did you phone Tesla to try to resolve that remotely?

However, for heads up on Hilton Doubletree Savannah Historic District they promised that they have destination charger, but when i got to the hotel it turned out to be a regular plug in charging at 3 miles/ hour.

I've added a listing to Plushare about this hotel:

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

@vkatkam , where exactly did they let you plug in? Did the hotel tell you they had charging when you asked about it, or did you see mention of it on their website?

[Sorry for the derail, but this is how we built Plugshare into the data juggernaut that it is.]

Further thoughts about the Metter supercharger....

Despite the sign that says "Everything is Better in Metter," this is a _really_ complicated layout. The supercharger stalls are divided into 2 groups, and you cannot get from one group to the other without going back out onto a busy 5-lane GA Hwy 23. The main entrance to Parkers Fuel Center has access to only 3 of the first 6 stalls and none of the western most 2. If you count the stalls (all unlabelled) from 1 to 8 starting from the Parker store wall, the southern or main store parking lot is labelled for the use of stalls 3, 4 and 5. It appears Stall 3 can be accessed from both parking lots (not at the same time obviously). Stall 4 would be blocked by a car parking nose first into the Stall 6 charger (on the back corner of the Dumpster wall) and Stall 5 is only accessible from the main store lot.

So it would appear to be better to take the northern entrance towards the back of the store, into the small, Tesla-only lot. The first stall you come to is number 8, a nose in. It was filled almost all of the time I was there. The second stall (7) is a back in. 7 and 8 backup to the Chargepoint Chademo/etc and J-1772 chargers in the main lot. I had my Chademo adapter with me, but the estimated GA Power price for a charge was $30, so I did not test it.

I don't think the nose in stalls in this lot are suitable for an attached trailer because you would almost certainly have to back the trailer out into traffic to get out and you run the risk blocking access to most of the other supercharger slots if your trailer is too wide.

We were testing using with my wife's dual motor long range Model 3. Wifely patience being what it is, I was only able to test Stalls 1, 2, 3, and 5. They ranged from 70 kW to 178kW (Stall 2), with two around 120. All stalls showed an estimated time of 25 minutes to charge from 43 miles of range to 90%. Needless to say I settled on Stall 2 and we finished on time with a range of 279 miles, exactly 90% of 310. The total cost was $4.42.

Now I am wondering whether the reason that Stall 8 was nearly always was in use was because it was the most convenient or the fastest. I hope others will post numbers for the other stalls using Model 3s. The number to beat is Stall 2 at 178kW.

scoots

Stopped at Metter twice in the last 2 days. On the 25th I only got about 120kW (same stall I got 250kW on T-Day). Ready to downgrade it to a V2 (not even V2.5). :eek: Coming back today (26th) I went to next stall over but still only getting about 120kW. Switched to the "trailer" stall #8 (using scoots #s) and got a little over 200kW. (back to V3, at least for 1 stall).

Agree with scoots that it is weird setup and I kinda covered in this post:
Supercharger Metter GA/I-16 Mac-Sav

It is a very tight lot and no way a Cyber with trailer (or any Tesla with trailer) will fit at the trailer stall without blocking the entire entrance/exit to ALL stalls.

IMG_2916.jpeg
IMG_2918.jpeg
IMG_2931.jpeg

Ready to downgrade it to a V2 (not even V2.5). :eek: Coming back today (26th) I went to next stall over but still only getting about 120kW. Switched to the "trailer" stall #8 (using scoots #s) and got a little over 200kW. (back to V3, at least for 1 stall).
V2 vs V3 is a physical hardware difference, not about charging behavior and power (though changes to those potentially result as part of that change). So, this is always a V3 charger; even if you only get 10 kW at it, it's still V3.

V2 vs V3 is a physical hardware difference, not about charging behavior and power (though changes to those potentially result as part of that change). So, this is always a V3 charger; even if you only get 10 kW at it, it's still V3.
100% WELL AWEAR. Guess some people just need sarcasm tags since they can't interpret emoticons. So here you go.

...[sarcasm]Ready to downgrade it to a V2 (not even V2.5).:eek:[/sarcasm]....

Better?:D:D:D

I charged at Metter this past Friday 01/03/20, I had 35% SOC on my Raven MX so no chance of hitting theoretical of 200kW, but I briefly hit 153kW on the "trailer" stall #8 that JulienW mentions above. That is fastest peak rate I've ever achieved. Next time I come from Atlanta I will hit it again and should be at less than 10% SOC, I would love to see the peak rate come closer to 200kW.

IMG_4167.jpg
to the 200kW.

Great video, kvandivo! Neither the back entrance nor the two no-charging parking spots had been adequately described here.

You noted that the pedestals are not labeled with numbers, but it doesn't matter because this is a V3 station with no power sharing. However I agree that it would still be useful to number them in case you have to report trouble, either here or on Plugshare or to Tesla. They just need to NOT use the A/B numbering :)