Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain View, CA - Grant Rd (under construction, 32 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. The burden of NACS compatibility for V3 Superchargers is completely on Tesla's side. A CCS vehicle with a NACS adapter is likely to be indistinguishable from a native NACS vehicle as far as a charging station is concerned.
Your comment is vague. Please explain why a V3 SC needs these boards “to enable non Tesla vehicles to charge.” Right now, and for the remainder of 2024, Tesla is the only brand with NACS ports. The rush to install these boards now is strictly for CCS cars with adapters. They covered the entire state of Washington in 2 weeks. They aren’t doing that for MY 25 or 26 vehicles.

Here is an inspection report for a station.
1709015981861.png

Reactions: FasterOrFree
Your comment is vague. Please explain why a V3 SC needs these boards “to enable non Tesla vehicles to charge.” Right now, and for the remainder of 2024, Tesla is the only brand with NACS ports. The rush to install these boards now is strictly for CCS cars with adapters. They covered the entire state of Washington in 2 weeks. They aren’t doing that for MY 25 or 26 vehicles.

Here is an inspection report for a station.
View attachment 1022422
In order to use a Supercharger, a vehicle needs to either speak CAN-based Supercharger protocol, or it needs to speak CCS protocol. NACS (SAE J3400) is inherently based on CCS communication protocol. Therefore, any potential future non-Tesla vehicle that will have a J3400 charging port will use CCS Communication protocol. Therefore, any Supercharger servicing non-Tesla vehicles, whether through an adapter or not, must also speak CCS protocol.

The only point that could be argued here is whether older boards in Supercharger V3 pedestals installed in the USA had the ability to speak CCS protocol. I am guessing that they don't and therefore require this board upgrade in order to service non-Tesla vehicles.

In order to use a Supercharger, a vehicle needs to either speak CAN-based Supercharger protocol, or it needs to speak CCS protocol. NACS (SAE J3400) is inherently based on CCS communication protocol. Therefore, any potential future non-Tesla vehicle that will have a J3400 charging port will use CCS Communication protocol. Therefore, any Supercharger servicing non-Tesla vehicles, whether through an adapter or not, must also speak CCS protocol.

The only point that could be argued here is whether older boards in Supercharger V3 pedestals installed in the USA had the ability to speak CCS protocol. I am guessing that they don't and therefore require this board upgrade in order to service non-Tesla vehicles.
Which was exactly my point and what you disagreed with, hence my confusion. "current ccs vehicles with an adapter need these boards to work." These board are what Tesla is installing in all V3 superchargers. I think the fact that Tesla is installing these in ALL V3 Superchargers speaks to the fact that older boards do not speak CCS.
1709054546309.png

I disagree. The burden of NACS compatibility for V3 Superchargers is completely on Tesla's side. A CCS vehicle with a NACS adapter is likely to be indistinguishable from a native NACS vehicle as far as a charging station is concerned.
More stalls were being upgraded today. I chatted with one of the techs doing the upgrade and he told me that they were adding a current sensor and new control board to support non-Teslas. I suspect not all vehicles on an adapter report data like current back to the Supercharger like a Tesla vehicle does.

Another friend of mine works at Tesla on charging control software and says it has been much harder and and required a lot more work that anyone thinks to support other vehicles as there is variation in how different manufacturers implemented the CCS protocols.

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 26
More stalls were being upgraded today. I chatted with one of the techs doing the upgrade and he told me that they were adding a current sensor and new control board to support non-Teslas. I suspect not all vehicles on an adapter report data like current back to the Supercharger like a Tesla vehicle does.

Another friend of mine works at Tesla on charging control software and says it has been much harder and and required a lot more work that anyone thinks to support other vehicles as there is variation in how different manufacturers implemented the CCS protocols.
Tesla vehicles report charger usage not the stalls so they need the stalls to be able to handle this for other vehicles through the CCS protocol.

• Informative
Reactions: tpoltron
Which was exactly my point and what you disagreed with, hence my confusion. "current ccs vehicles with an adapter need these boards to work." These board are what Tesla is installing in all V3 superchargers. I think the fact that Tesla is installing these in ALL V3 Superchargers speaks to the fact that older boards do not speak CCS.
View attachment 1022590
The part I disagree with is "Any new vehicles with NACS ports will have the right protocols to use the SuC network without these boards".
Do you see my point now?

Everyone that is familiar with CCS and CHAdeMO charging equipment knows that there is a tremendous variation in how different cars implemented the "standards". There is a quote from a senior guy at Kempower, a European charging equipment provider. He said something about standards adherence along the lines of "Do you want to follow the official documents or do you want to charge cars?" Kempower even developed sophisticated logging system that finds the timing signature of each different vehicle type and would make different accommodations depending on the vehicle connected. I'm sure Tesla will have to do something similar in order to smoothly support all the vehicles on the road today.

Reactions: FasterOrFree
The part I disagree with is "Any new vehicles with NACS ports will have the right protocols to use the SuC network without these boards".
Do you see my point now?
Then in your initial post, please state what you disagree with. A blanket "I disagree" is very ambiguous and leads to confusion for all.

No I do not see your point, because there are no new vehicles other than Teslas with NACS ports. Tesla opened their specification which requires the vehicle to do the validation of energy used during charging sessions. Do you think they would change that for what was submitted? If they did, then they would need to change all of their cars to use the NACS spec going forward to be compatible. For any other manufacturer wanting to put NACS ports in their new cars, it would need to meet the specs Tesla submitted which would include vehicle reporting of charge data.

I think the timing points to this. They didn't rush out and put these boards in when they opened the spec. They only did this when other manufacturers came forward with adapters for existing vehicles which don't meet the spec.

NACS is now J3400. It is inherently CCS based communication. My assumption is that these new boards are doing both the CCS communication and the metering. Tesla vehicles communicate with CANbus based communication to Superchargers and they do internal metering for SuC energy delivery. Every new vehicle with a J3400 charge port will require the charging station to speak CCS and do its own metering. The fact that Tesla vehicles also have legacy Supercharger comms is not relevant.

The California Department of Measurement Standards also has new requirements for newly installed DC Chargers that require certain measurement accuracy and rate displays. Presumably, V4 pedestals will conform to these requirements. These requirements have been postponed. They were originally supposed to take effect on Jan 1, 2023

This was true of V1 and V2 superchargers. V3 superchargers have a communication module which can report status directly to the mothership without involvement of the cars. To the best of my understanding.
So if a Ford vehicle uses a V1 or V2 supercharger, Tesla relies on Ford hardware & software to be untampered and unbuggy to correctly report the total energy used?

So if a Ford vehicle uses a V1 or V2 supercharger, Tesla relies on Ford hardware & software to be untampered and unbuggy to correctly report the total energy used?
Other manufacturers will not be able to use V1 (if any exist, think they've all been replaced with V2) and V2.

This was true of V1 and V2 superchargers. V3 superchargers have a communication module which can report status directly to the mothership without involvement of the cars. To the best of my understanding.
This is still true for V3. That is why they have to have these modules for other manufacturers to meter the power. Tesla vehicles still report the usage to Tesla for V3. I have been told this numerous times in other threads when I questioned this protocol.

I think we have our wires crossed here. I'm referring to stall status and how it is communicated to the mothership. I think you're referring to metering of energy going into the car. I would agree that has is/been done by the car, except to the extent that this new metering hardware is being rolled out.

I think we have our wires crossed here. I'm referring to stall status and how it is communicated to the mothership. I think you're referring to metering of energy going into the car. I would agree that has is/been done by the car, except to the extent that this new metering hardware is being rolled out.
The metering of the energy is how Tesla bills for usage, communicating with the mothership. This has been done 100% on the car side for Tesla. The new boards being added meter (count) the usage and report it through the Supercharger site infrastructure to Tesla for billing. For plug and charge vehicles like Ford, the app is not used, the car will comunicate with the site and the site will meter the usage and bill accordingly. For non plug and charge, you have to use the app to activate a specific stall and then will be billed based on card on file, through the Supercharger site infrastructure.

This is my understanding of how CCS cars will be billed at Tesla stations.

The metering of the energy is how Tesla bills for usage, communicating with the mothership. This has been done 100% on the car side for Tesla.
Metering simply means the counting of kilowatt hours. I agree that this happens car side, prior to these new boards. However the communication of the result happens via the gateway located with the supercharger hardware. Reference: Tesla Upgrading Its Supercharging Network To V3 For Next-Generation Speeds - CleanTechnica

Communication was managed by the vehicle in V2 and V1 superchargers, as they did not have a gateway.

Metering simply means the counting of kilowatt hours. I agree that this happens car side, prior to these new boards. However the communication of the result happens via the gateway located with the supercharger hardware. Reference: Tesla Upgrading Its Supercharging Network To V3 For Next-Generation Speeds - CleanTechnica

Communication was managed by the vehicle in V2 and V1 superchargers, as they did not have a gateway.
Yes, this is what I have been saying. V3 was still handled carside and could still be for Tesla and other plug and charge brands. It is the ones that need to be activated through the Tesla app that need the new “charge post junction box” to enable Tesla to properly bill for charge session on non Tesla cars. I don’t think they are changing anything for Tesla vehicles.

Pretty wild that the pedestals have been there long enough to need a hardware update, without ever having been turned on in the first place.
Nothing to do with how long they have been there. V3 posts didn’t have the right hardware for other manufacturers. Sites installed with V3 a month or two ago needed this upgrade. They just worked out the fix and got the parts made which is why other manufacturers haven’t released their adapters until now.

Reactions: Tyl and Acps110
Nothing to do with how long they have been there. V3 posts didn’t have the right hardware for other manufacturers. Sites installed with V3 a month or two ago needed this upgrade. They just worked out the fix and got the parts made which is why other manufacturers haven’t released their adapters until now.

Yeah really the wild thing with this site in particular is just that the pedestals are gonna be there fully installed for a full year without ever being turned on, waiting on the PG&E hookup.

Yeah really the wild thing with this site in particular is just that the pedestals are gonna be there fully installed for a full year without ever being turned on, waiting on the PG&E hookup.

About par for this stretch of El Camino, the one slightly north at San Antonio Rd has been sitting a few months longer, as well as maybe the one a bit south in Sunnyvale...