Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Shasta, CA (111 Morgan Way, 4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm standing by my original statement. In addition to being a huge inconvenience for many Tesla owners, this is a PR nightmare for Tesla and it could have been easily avoided.
Well, it certainly could have been an opportunity for them, other than that I think EVs just got lumped in with the rest of the caos of short supply of energy (be it gas or electricity). It would have been awesome to see Evs come out on top on this one. On another note, if your a local in Oregon with an EV, you are less impacted than your ice neighbor.

I'm standing by my original statement. In addition to being a huge inconvenience for many Tesla owners, this is a PR nightmare for Tesla and it could have been easily avoided.
I'm not sure how easily it could have been avoided. Not saying you're wrong, but it's possible there are utility limitations at these locations. I also don't know how many portables they have available. Four? I think that's the most we've seen deployed at one time, but I admit I haven't really counted. It would have helped, but the traffic is pretty thick either way.

I'm glad these sites are slated for expansion, either way.

I'm not sure how easily it could have been avoided. Not saying you're wrong, but it's possible there are utility limitations at these locations. I also don't know how many portables they have available. Four? I think that's the most we've seen deployed at one time, but I admit I haven't really counted. It would have helped, but the traffic is pretty thick either way.

I'm glad these sites are slated for expansion, either way.

Yep. Certain times like Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas can be anticipated because we human beings are predictable with these events. Other events like a Super Bowl or World Series might be anticipated if a local team is playing, and they have an extensive fan base.

But a solar eclipse 500-800 miles away? C'mon! How many of you notified Tesla in advance that you were driving from California to various places in Oregon on the weekend immediately before the Monday event? Is Tesla responsible for circularizing its customers to determine travel plans? If so, many would squawk that this was an invasion of privacy and an unnecessary expense.

What would the reaction on this site have been if Tesla did deploy some of its temporary Superchargers and they went unused (or worse, Tesla miscalculated the busy spots) because very few of us made the trek to Oregon? This would have been an unnecessary expense to the company too.

I have to agree with Ohmman. There is no way that Tesla could have anticipated this mass pilgrimage to Oregon. Sometimes life deals us unexpected problems that inconvenience us, but do no harm. This is one of those times.

Yep. Certain times like Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas can be anticipated because we human beings are predictable with these events. Other events like a Super Bowl or World Series might be anticipated if a local team is playing, and they have an extensive fan base.

But a solar eclipse 500-800 miles away? C'mon! How many of you notified Tesla in advance that you were driving from California to various places in Oregon on the weekend immediately before the Monday event? Is Tesla responsible for circularizing its customers to determine travel plans? If so, many would squawk that this was an invasion of privacy and an unnecessary expense.

What would the reaction on this site have been if Tesla did deploy some of its temporary Superchargers and they went unused (or worse, Tesla miscalculated the busy spots) because very few of us made the trek to Oregon? This would have been an unnecessary expense to the company too.

I have to agree with Ohmman. There is no way that Tesla could have anticipated this mass pilgrimage to Oregon. Sometimes life deals us unexpected problems that inconvenience us, but do no harm. This is one of those times.

There were multiple threads on here and other forums for months in advance. Also infinite news stories and articles.

It is possible there were utility limitations in those places and a quick expansion with temporary superchargers wasn't possible. The supercharger installation people are also slammed getting the new permanent locations online.

Reactions: e-FTW
It is possible there were utility limitations in those places and a quick expansion with temporary superchargers wasn't possible. The supercharger installation people are also slammed getting the new permanent locations online.
I'm curious about the mobil chargers. Is there a definitive wiki or info on them? Do they plug in to a PGE Service location, or are they huge generators in trailers? Coordinating and hooking in to a (Temporary)PGE service point seems almost impossible, so I'm really curious about them.

Yesterday when my wife and I arrived at the Mt Shasta Supercharge and discovered that there were 5 people ahead of us and that they were parked sort of randomly waiting, she took charge and issued each waiting driver with a small piece of paper with a number on it, and then issued numbers sequentially to other Tesla drivers as they entered the parking lot. Everyone, without exception, greatly appreciated her organization of the line of waiters. Most of us hung out in the parking lot or in the outdoor patio and chatted. I met an ex-SpaceX employee, an ex-Google employee who was currently working for AirBnB in the area of AI and deep learning software, a guy who upon retiring bought his first ever new car -- a Model S -- and loved it, and everyone got along. Pretty fun.

Why am I not surprised that you're married to a super organized wife? :)

I'm curious about the mobil chargers. Is there a definitive wiki or info on them? Do they plug in to a PGE Service location, or are they huge generators in trailers? Coordinating and hooking in to a (Temporary)PGE service point seems almost impossible, so I'm really curious about them.

Tesla has both kinds of temporary SC. Ones that hook into the grid, and ones that run off a diesel generator.

Moderator note: please keep this thread focused on the Mt. Shasta Supercharger. If anyone wants to discuss Tesla's temporary mobile Superchargers all you have to do is start a thread about them. I would suggest the main Tesla Motors forum. Thank you.
Kind of a disingenuous redirect here. We are discussing the congestion at the *Mt. Shasta supercharger* and things that could have been done to prevent it.

A bit late, but I wanted to give big shout out to the Best Western management at the Shasta Supercharger. They had a guy stationed out at the entrance to the parking lot taking names and cell phone numbers with car description. He called when a slot was opening up. It allowed us to have a relaxing dinner without worrying about losing our spot in the queue. I thanked the manager and tipped the guy who spent his day in the sun dealing with Tesla owners.

A bit late, but I wanted to give big shout out to the Best Western management at the Shasta Supercharger. They had a guy stationed out at the entrance to the parking lot taking names and cell phone numbers with car description. He called when a slot was opening up. It allowed us to have a relaxing dinner without worrying about losing our spot in the queue. I thanked the manager and tipped the guy who spent his day in the sun dealing with Tesla owners.
How long was the wait on the way home?

Going South It's doable to charge more in Grand Pass and then go all the way down to Corning to skip this one. It's a lot of downhill and my energy consumption was about 20%-30% lower than average.
We all know that the solar eclipse was an exception and caused unprecedented traffic. I don't think the Supercharger network will ever be able to handle such extreme days without delays. But what it showed to me is that 4 stall locations are just not enough. Even on any busy normal weekend traffic, those stations become a bottleneck instantly. What makes it worse is that when all stalls are used the charge rate is lower but people also tend to charge higher than hat they need in fear of scarcity. Both these things make lines even longer. Kind of a feedback effect.

Going South It's doable to charge more in Grand Pass and then go all the way down to Corning to skip this one. It's a lot of downhill and my energy consumption was about 20%-30% lower than average.
We all know that the solar eclipse was an exception and caused unprecedented traffic. I don't think the Supercharger network will ever be able to handle such extreme days without delays. But what it showed to me is that 4 stall locations are just not enough. Even on any busy normal weekend traffic, those stations become a bottleneck instantly. What makes it worse is that when all stalls are used the charge rate is lower but people also tend to charge higher than hat they need in fear of scarcity. Both these things make lines even longer. Kind of a feedback effect.
Grant's Pass is also only 4 stalls. Was it crowded as well?