Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Myrtle Creek, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Myrtle Creek, OR

Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: OR-99

I-5

To: Springfield, OR - 92.4 miles
Diversion: 0.9 miles
To: Salem, OR - 153.9 miles

Will split The Gap on I-5, reducing the largest spacing from 138.4 miles to 92.4 miles. (Grants Pass OR to Springfield, OR).

But also it splits a 227.7 mile gap between the v3 Superchargers in Medford, OR and Salem, OR, allowing drivers of some newer cars to stick to v3.

Myrtle Creek, OR

Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: OR-99

I-5

To: Springfield, OR - 92.4 miles
Diversion: 0.9 miles
To: Salem, OR - 153.9 miles

Will split The Gap on I-5, reducing the largest spacing from 138.4 miles to 92.4 miles. (Grants Pass OR to Springfield, OR).

But also it splits a 227.7 mile gap between the v3 Superchargers in Medford, OR and Salem, OR, allowing drivers of some newer cars to stick to v3.
Now we just need Tesla to split the I-84 gap ;)

Reactions: bruce4000
That would be so weird for them to have had Boardman on the map for a couple years, THEN remove it completely, to then just put it back on the map. Could happen, but I fear for some reason east has just been deemed "good enough."
Not weird at all. For a long time Tesla's map policy for future supercharger locations that had fallen through but that they were still working on finding a replacement hosting site was to just leave the pin on there and keep incrementing the "target opening" date by 1 year every January regardless of whether they had actually made enough progress on securing a new host to realistically hit that target. The fact that Boardman stayed on the map was just indicative that they were still trying to get a supercharger there eventually. Then, at the beginning of 2021, Tesla changed the way they were maintaining their map. Now, future supercharger sites seem to get pins and updated target dates based on their actual current status. That meant that Boardman had to come off because it didn't yet meet their new criteria for having a pin. But it doesn't mean that they stopped working towards a supercharger there. Once Tesla finds a host property, they'll add Boardman back on.

Not weird at all. For a long time Tesla's map policy for future supercharger locations that had fallen through but that they were still working on finding a replacement hosting site was to just leave the pin on there and keep incrementing the "target opening" date by 1 year every January regardless of whether they had actually made enough progress on securing a new host to realistically hit that target. The fact that Boardman stayed on the map was just indicative that they were still trying to get a supercharger there eventually. Then, at the beginning of 2021, Tesla changed the way they were maintaining their map. Now, future supercharger sites seem to get pins and updated target dates based on their actual current status. That meant that Boardman had to come off because it didn't yet meet their new criteria for having a pin. But it doesn't mean that they stopped working towards a supercharger there. Once Tesla finds a host property, they'll add Boardman back on.
Ah, I thought the change was that they still would show a pin with a vague "Coming 2022" or something when they had identified a needed location but hadn't really found a site or devoted any time to that location yet. Then it would change to a specific quarter when they were closer to actually pulling permits and building (though we know that some locations still slipped from one quarter to the next, so it's not like it was a sure thing even then).

I thought by the pin being dropped it was that the location had dropped off Tesla's radar on being "needed."

I seriously hope this location is still something they are able to work with and either a host keeps reaching out and pushing or Tesla finds a good location on their own. That eastbound route is still a little rough in 75kWh or smaller vehicles in bad conditions (rain, high winds, snow/winter temps). It's doable, but ideally you would want to do a section from a max of like 70% down to 10% for the quickest supercharger stops, and Hood River to Pendleton is ~150 miles. On a 75kWh battery (using only 60% of the capacity, 70% down to 10%) that's 45kWh to play with, or 300 wh/mi. That's totally doable on my Model Y at 70mph in good conditions, but give me bone chilling winter temps, standing water, etc and at 65 to 70 that likely will climb up to like 335 wh/mi or maybe a little more. Again, it's doable but you're spending more time at a supercharger and getting into slower points of the charge curve. A Boardman charger would allow you to depart probably at like 60% battery AND would give you that redundancy if Pendleton was offline. It makes sense, that's for sure. (Also anyone towing or those poor guys in the ~50kWh batteries of the SR+ they're having to do almost full charges in the winter to ensure they have some wiggle room in bad weather)

This was just posted this afternoon on Facebook. Looks like construction is almost complete!

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 1.06.46 PM.png