Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Myrtle Creek, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're driving Seattle to LA on Friday. I wish this was open on the way down. :) Stopping at Springfield and Grants Pass.
To avoid the 150kw in Grants Pass remember the new 250kw chargers in Medford, only 166 miles from Springfield. Salem also has a new install that is 226 miles to Medford (getting off I5 to the Salem SC is not super easy however)

A decade ago peeps thought Nokias were the bomb

For a large percentage of people in America owning a new car is a pipe dream. The people out there driving 1996 Skylarks generally aren't doing it because they think it's a classic and they love the car. It's because that's the best car they can afford.

As the top end of the market switches to new EVs, that will trickle down cheap, newer ICE to the poorer segments of the population which don't pollute as bad as older cars, but that's the best the poorer people are going to be able to afford for a while.

In some neighborhoods there is going to be a challenge installing EV charging infrastructure that won't get vandalized. Though it's looking like EV charging infrastructure will get a boost from the federal government soon. Most of the new infrastructure is going to go for long distance travel and for middle class apartment and condo dwellers.

Reactions: Guvnah
Another update on Facebook about this today. Definitely seems like it's progressing nicely to being available for the holidays, but we all know looks can be deceiving.

View attachment 714764
Sweet. Looks like all the charging cables are in and more importantly, the electric power meter has been installed. But I’m curious, is that cabinet with the meter also the transformer or is it yet to be installed?

I stopped in today. It’s still roped off. Power is switched on to the meter but no kwh’s have been consumed yet. The huge green transformer is humming. My guess is that it just needs to be commissioned by tesla now.
Oh, and signs are up but no stall striping yet.

1633670979968.jpeg

1633671043276.jpeg

1633671074632.jpeg

It's possible they already commissioned it and just have them powered off so no one is tempted to drive on the fresh pavement. I once saw a supercharger where that had happened in Wausau, Wisconsin. I know because I ran into the Tesla tech doing maintenance at another supercharger and he told me as much. "That one is all tested and ready to go. I cut the power because they still need to pave the parking lot." In that case, the host hotel was brand new and had not even opened yet. The supercharger was completed before the hotel was and even before the parking lot was paved.

Very timely post Otmar and thank you much. I’m heading down to central Cali on the 16th and sure hope tesla activates this new station by then.
If it doesn’t open by the 16th, then my plan is to stop at Kelso for a 70% charge and then have a long stop in Springfield for breakfast and charge to 90-95% so I can make Yreka without having to stop in Medford, except maybe 5 minutes or so if range anxiety starts taking over.

just curious. Do any of you experts know how much extra range the nav system builds into its calculation? I ask because it seems to me it’s very conservative.

If it doesn’t open by the 16th, then my plan is to stop at Kelso for a 70% charge and then have a long stop in Springfield for breakfast and charge to 90-95% so I can make Yreka without having to stop in Medford, except maybe 5 minutes or so if range anxiety starts taking over.

just curious. Do any of you experts know how much extra range the nav system builds into its calculation? I ask because it seems to me it’s very conservative.
Not much, it usually will show you'll arrive with 10% remaining or something like that. I personally charge an extra 10% from whatever the app says I'll get there with unless it's above 30%

(So if it says I can leave the supercharger and have 12% when I get there, I leave when it says 22%. If it says I'll have 30% when I get there then I just leave and don't worry about charging extra.)

I've had trips it's been off 5% or so and bad weather can very quickly change it to be even more than that. It'll usually update in real time and tell you to slow down or charge... but if you don't have any chargers between you and the destination...