Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was Teslas email a couple months ago about DE

Thank you for your email and feedback. We are actively looking at ways to improve the charging experience at the Newark, DE Station and the surrounding areas. We continually seek new locations to Supercharge so if you have a specific property suggestion along the route, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements—we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

We were there charging Tuesday morning and a truck pulled up. My husband spoke to them and learned they work for Tesla and were surveying the site, taking some measurements. They said that more Chargers were going in!

How congested are these stalls around 8:30 AM on a weekday? I'm planning on leaving from NYC around 6 am most probably on a Thursday (tho I may chose Wednesday) instead.. I'll be headed down to Florida for a few weeks and this will be my 1st supercharger stop on this journey.

How congested are these stalls around 8:30 AM on a weekday? I'm planning on leaving from NYC around 6 am most probably on a Thursday (tho I may chose Wednesday) instead.. I'll be headed down to Florida for a few weeks and this will be my 1st supercharger stop on this journey.

generally bad on weekends..suspect you should be OK at 8:30am on a weekday.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to traffic next week (leaving DC Wed morning). I'm planning to range charge so I can make it to Hamilton without Newark if needed. Galve2000, if you're indeed planning to travel during peak Thanksgiving traffic, I recommend you top off along the NJTP or in Hamilton, just in case. That early in the morning I imagine you'll still be OK in Newark, but better to give yourself more options.

You also might consider skipping 95 through Baltimore/DC altogether -- from Newark you can go through Salisbury MD and Norfolk VA before meeting back up with 95 around Rocky Mount NC.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to traffic next week (leaving DC Wed morning). I'm planning to range charge so I can make it to Hamilton without Newark if needed. Galve2000, if you're indeed planning to travel during peak Thanksgiving traffic, I recommend you top off along the NJTP or in Hamilton, just in case. That early in the morning I imagine you'll still be OK in Newark, but better to give yourself more options.

You also might consider skipping 95 through Baltimore/DC altogether -- from Newark you can go through Salisbury MD and Norfolk VA before meeting back up with 95 around Rocky Mount NC.

Paul's suggestion is a good one. Less direct, but you'll skip all sorts of headache, and Salisbury won't be full. I can't speak to Norfolk.

I just looked it up on evtrippplanner.com. Without considering traffic, the Salisbury/Norfolk detour adds ~90 minutes and ~40 actual miles, but you end up using ~10 *fewer* rated miles. The difference likely comes from slower posted speeds and slightly flatter terrain. When considering traffic, I know getting through/around DC by itself can easily add 30-60 minutes if there's any sort of problem, and 95 all the way from Baltimore to Richmond will likely be slower than you want. Never mind that getting to/from the Potomac Mills (Woodbridge) supercharger in holiday traffic is likely to be a nightmare.

It doesn't help that the NAV loves recommending people skip all the less congested stops in New Jersey in favor of a long recharge in Newark.
It's bad enough going south, but it's tough to get anywhere west - like Hagerstown - without stopping at Newark for a bit.

Why, oh why don't we have superchargers along Rt. 80 in PA?
homer_why.gif

From Falls Church you should have no problem hitting Joyce Kilmer on the turnpike. I've done it several times with a range charge on a 70D (though in slightly warmer weather, with speeding, and about a 15mile buffer leftover) going from Fairfax.

Right, my biggest concern is cold combined with traffic chewing up additional range. I've made it from home to Hamilton before, I think using <90%, so I expect I'll be fine. Joyce Kilmer is similar distance I think. I'll more likely end up at Hamilton because my destination is Branchburg, but it depends on traffic patterns. Good to have choices, that's for sure!

I gotchya, that makes sense.

I usually try to stay on the highway rest areas when possible, so naturally when I heard getting off the turnpike for Hamilton I thought "no, wait there's a better alternative!", but obviously it depends where you're traveling to.

Hamilton is a much better choice if you need more than a quick charge. The charger there is in the parking lot of a barnes and noble, which is a nice way to kill time, and if you have any shopping to do there are tons of stores in that plaza. Also means taking 295 instead of the turnpike, and that will save you a couple of bucks in tolls too.

eek sorry guys I should have been more specific.. I am not making this trip until after christmas it looks like right now.

although I am so excited for the trip, I kind of want to just pile everything into my Model S and go go go..

eek sorry guys I should have been more specific.. I am not making this trip until after christmas it looks like right now.

although I am so excited for the trip, I kind of want to just pile everything into my Model S and go go go..

Heh, no worries. On a "normal" weekday, if you leave NYC at 6am you might catch a little traffic approaching Newark DE, and then you might catch the tail end of morning rush hour in Baltimore/DC. Probably not worth the big detour I recommended unless there's a specific incident or three snarling things up. But zoom out and look at your traffic maps before leaving Newark just in case.

Re: Hamilton, my family does enjoy the B&N right there if we have extra time, and we usually grab a meal or snack at Panera, which is way better than our one food experience so far at Molly Pitcher. (I presume Joyce Kilmer & Molly Pitcher have similar food options.)