Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The description you apparently referring to does not add up based on what I know. This is the reason for my question.

Use of small individual autotransformers to boost voltage to a supercharger cabinet makes sense when superchargers are piggy-backed to the existing 480V system of the host facility (Delaware Welcome Center in this case). Delaware superchargers, however, have a utility drop with large power transformer (not an autotransformer). Since this transformer converts utility distribution voltage to 480V used by the superchargers in their immediate proximity, there should not be any voltage drop issues and no reason to use autotransformers.

In short, I do not believe that there should be any autotransformers at the Delaware Supercharger. It is possible that the source for the information was using wrong terminology, or there is additional information that I am missing. This was the reason for the question. And the question still remains.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jthompson
Perhaps they need small voltage adjustments that the main transformer cannot provide. Quite a few sites have them, sometimes they are installed when the site is built, at others the conduit is run at that time, but the autotransformers may be added at a later time. They are probably used in conjunction with the switchgear, and bypassed when the voltage is within the input range of the superchargers. Pretty much all permanent stations with more than a couple superchargers have their own high voltage transformer installed by the utility.

Typically transformers come with two -2.5% and two +2.5% taps which accommodate fine tuning transformer ratio to obtain voltage within the design tolerance from the nominal on the secondary assuming full projected load.

It is puzzling if the auto-transformers, which seem to serve each individual supercharger would need to be used in series with the Utility Transformer as it would imply poorly designed installation. First, Utility transformer should be sized and specified in a way that there is no voltage drop issues, especially for Supercharger installation which is geographically pretty compact. Second, it is odd to install small auto-transformers, one for each individual supercharger, since they are all located in the close proximity to each other and should have the same voltage profile.

Unless I am missing something, the setup with auto-transformers to boost secondary voltage seem to be a sign of questionable design.

Here is typical one-line diagram showing all major pieces for reference.

upload_2018-3-13_9-24-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-13_9-23-49.png
    upload_2018-3-13_9-23-49.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Informative
Reactions: vdiv and scaesare
I checked a couple times over the weekend and while most of the superchargers in the area had a fair bit of cars at them, I never saw any of them (including Newark) completely full. Doesn't suprise me that it did fill up a few times though. Still this is one of the busiest travel days of the year so I think they're in great shape! Just hope they continue building out the network.

I checked a couple times over the weekend and while most of the superchargers in the area had a fair bit of cars at them, I never saw any of them (including Newark) completely full. Doesn't suprise me that it did fill up a few times though. Still this is one of the busiest travel days of the year so I think they're in great shape! Just hope they continue building out the network.

Yeah, Newark was busy today, too, when we went through about 3:30. On the other hand, the Supercharger at the Royal Farms near the Chesapeake Bay was basically empty about an hour later. Related: taking 301 instead of 95 was clearly the right call.

Reactions: dennisma and jrreno
I hit the Aberdeen charger on Friday around noon - had to wait momentarily. Full and one car waiting. As I came up the other aisle, two cars were leaving at the same time. I figured I'd sneak in one while the waiting car came around, but he probably figured I was stealing his spot, came zooming around, screwed up the flow of things and we had to start all over. Whatever. . . They're in a bad spot being at the end of the aisle. Some horn honking and such, but I made my way in while other drives (im)patiently waited.

Also hit the new urban chargers in Baltimore on the way home Saturday. Only one other car. Aberdeen on Saturday afternoon was 3/4 full.