Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - North Myrtle Beach, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it will be somewhere on the Barefoot Landing Mall property. Will be a great location. Plenty of shops, restaurants, public restrooms. Will need to do something to keep them from getting ICEed. Will get lots of use by people traveling up and down Highway 17, tourists who generally stay here by the week in condos and hotels, people living in apartments and condos. Adding charging at condos here is tough. Would need to bring in more power, A lot of parking decks that spaces would get ICEed or people not moving their car after it’s charged. Now Electrify America needs to put in a station in one of the Walmarts here for all the non Teslas. Nearest one is 75 miles away Lumberton I-95. 👍😎

Last edited:
Reactions: SCTes1aMan
Looks like it will be somewhere on the Barefoot Landing Mall property. Will be a great location. Plenty of shops, restaurants, public restrooms. Will need to do something to keep them from getting ICEed. Will get lots of use by people traveling up and down Highway 17, tourists who generally stay here by the week in condos and hotels, people living in apartments and condos. Adding charging at condos here is tough. Would need to bring in more power, A lot of parking decks that spaces would get ICEed or people not moving their car after it’s charged. Now Electrify America needs to put in a station in one of the Walmarts here for all the non Teslas. Nearest one is 75 miles away Lumberton I-95. 👍😎
I think we'll see EA at the Walmarts in the area before too long. I bought the connector recently because EA has chargers in a few of the locations I often travel to but it would be a nice option to have here as well.

I assume you're not familiar with the area but it's not laid out in a way that makes it very convenient. It's a busy retail location and I'm not sure how they would find an area close to any of those restrooms unless they choose a spot that will definitely struggle with iceing. Additionally, the closest fast food would be across 17.

Many people complain about Myrtle Beach's other SC location because it's at a mall and you have no amenities after business hours but at least there you have several places to grab food quickly and the chargers are not in an area that deals with iceing.

I'll be the first to admit that our area does make it difficult to find a perfect place for charging. The SC will be a great addition but as someone who lives less than five miles away, I can tell you it's not going to be the most convenient for locals or those traveling through the area. I'm curious to see if Barefoot will add additional chargers for non-Teslas. Like most areas those are very much in need.
I finally made it down here. It was so nice driving from NY to Murrells Inlet in a Tesla. I was amazed at how many Teslas there are down here, it made my heart happy. Went shopping at the outlets on 17 yesterday and was shocked to see the free ChargePoint chargers. So I moved the car from way out in the parking lot and backed right into an EV spot and plugged in. I have never used a ChargePoint charger so that was definitely a learning experience—Superchargers are so much easier! But I’m not complaining, at least it’s something and it’s free!

I finally made it down here. It was so nice driving from NY to Murrells Inlet in a Tesla. I was amazed at how many Teslas there are down here, it made my heart happy. Went shopping at the outlets on 17 yesterday and was shocked to see the free ChargePoint chargers. So I moved the car from way out in the parking lot and backed right into an EV spot and plugged in. I have never used a ChargePoint charger so that was definitely a learning experience—Superchargers are so much easier! But I’m not complaining, at least it’s something and it’s free!
Welcome to the Grand Strand! We have a decent amount of free chargers in the area and they are rarely unavailable. Check PlugShare to find those locations. If you visit the other outlets, on 501, you'll find free charging there as well.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Welcome to the Grand Strand! We have a decent amount of free chargers in the area and they are rarely unavailable. Check PlugShare to find those locations. If you visit the other outlets, on 501, you'll find free charging there as well.
Planning on going to the outlets on 501 later in the week. I have the ChargePoint app so I see there are quite a few chargers down here. I’ve been using the mobile charger while here at my Meemaw’s.
024C9889-C85F-4169-8B8A-B12A47F41E28.png

The address on the permit has been updated and it appears to be going exactly where I would have guessed. The location would put it close to shops/restaurants/bathrooms but it has a chance of being ICE'd. Beyond that parking lot is a cemetery so that's going to make for an interesting view.

4924 S HWY 17
Unit C
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

Adding the unit number brings it to the circled area and from that unit I took a picture a few weeks thinking it could be a likely location. I'll keep checking it to see when they start work.

IMG_20221101_115529~2.jpg

20221005_152114.jpg

Reactions: ShawEV and 3YMimi73
I was just down there this weekend. Options would be great. There's not much level 2 charging options you can find anyway. Most all the boardwalk parking has went to machines but it sure would be nice to see some EV charging parking options. Even Aynor would make a nice stop coming into town. I wouldn't think it's for the locals. Too many pickup trucks in Aynor unless they're thinking of trading up to the cybertruck.

Reactions: SCTes1aMan
I was told that the Aynor City Council declined the offer for Tesla to put a charger in Aynor. I think it would be a great location. I cannot fathom a reason why you wouldn’t want people that have enough funds to own a Tesla not to stop and possibly spend money in a town where they are very likely only to pass through otherwise. I am amazed that Charleston only has one and one additional under permit. I would also hope that one gets placed in Georgetown SC.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
I cannot fathom a reason why you wouldn’t want people that have enough funds to own a Tesla not to stop and possibly spend money in a town where they are very likely only to pass through otherwise.
Governments (perhaps rightly) don't particularly like it when a company offers a proprietary solution that would only be open to Tesla vehicles (don't expect them to understand the nuance of the fact that the majority of EVs on the road today are Teslas). This is what held up the Supercharger in Boone, NC. Keep in mind that while the Tesla community would cheer, they would also hear complaints from the vast majority of their constituents saying that they were showing favoritism for a single company (and don't expect them to understand the nuance of the benefit of outside money coming into their area). Hancock, NY is another example of stations being put on town property, but if you notice, right next to the Superchargers there is an Electrify America site.

Maybe with a Magic Dock installed, entities will be less hesitant to Tesla to come in and put in a Supercharger site.