Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kalispell, MT (under construction Apr 2024, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to start this thread. Word in the back channel is that Tesla has narrowed their site selection in Kalispell to one of two spots and is very close to pulling an electric permit. Issued electric permits are searchable online and I will check every week and post when it has been pulled and its exact location. I'll let Supercharge.info know when permit is pulled, too.
Distance to:
Missoula supercharger - 114 miles
Superior supercharger - 125 miles
Couer d'Alene via US 2 - 215 miles
" via I-15 - 207 miles (skipping Superior, which would add 26 miles round trip)
Fort MacLeod (AB) supercharger via US 2 then 89 north - 198 miles (which is then 118 miles to Calgary SC)
" via US 2, then Going to the Sun Road through Glacier Park (goes to 6500 ft. Beautiful, but slow) = 157 miles

Good to hear, Any word on permits for eastern Montana? Miles City or Glendive?
Really hard to tell. The search system is not good. The search is only good to limit it to commercial electrical, a date range, and a county. Even putting in 'Tesla' in the project name search field only pulls up the Superior SC. Nothing I put in the Name field pulls up anything Tesla. Basically I have to click on every commercial permit shown and check the names. So I do it every week, and only for Flathead County. You could try any county you want but you'd have to click on each one going back a long ways to convince yourself there isn't one previously issued.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hey @Padelford - There is a little more news, but not 'hard' news. I'm waiting for it to firm up before sharing ;-)
Don't be optimistic about the SC being operational by July, though. OTOH I think I can hook you up with a HPWC in Hungry Horse by then.

Thanks for the update. This reminds me of our trip to Ohio last spring, and I was hoping (in vain) that the Boulder, CO supercharger would be done in time.

I may take you up on the HPWC. More later.

Hey @Padelford - There is a little more news, but not 'hard' news. I'm waiting for it to firm up before sharing ;-)
Don't be optimistic about the SC being operational by July, though. OTOH I think I can hook you up with a HPWC in Hungry Horse by then.
I know it's not likely, but is there any update on this? I'll be driving from Seattle to Glacier National Park in early July (staying at the Great Northern Resort) and charging options seem limited. Thanks.

I know it's not likely, but is there any update on this? I'll be driving from Seattle to Glacier National Park in early July (staying at the Great Northern Resort) and charging options seem limited. Thanks.
I might be doing the same, except from Vancouver.
Hopefully you both and all other interested parties are emailing [email protected] and letting them know how useful this site would be!!

Reactions: KJD and bbthechange
I've posted this many times in other threads, but the Red Lion in Kalispell has destination chargers that worked quite well for me.

Also if you are doing this drive from Vancouver, the route to Glacier via Calgary/Fort MacLeod is not much longer, and the Fort MacLeod supercharger is closer to the national park than Superior supercharger is. So you might try going that route to and/or from. This all assumes the entire road through the park is open, which is currently not the case, but will be later this summer.

HPWC = High Power Wall Connector

Plug share is a good option to find charging in Kalispell. There are 2 main "free" options. Both Red lion and Hampton Inn are for guests staying there. Here is the link to plug share. There are currently no superchargers in Kalispell yet (I am also eagerly awaiting them). I am going there in a week or so and I am also planning my options).

Plugshare Links to charging around Kalispell:
Flathead Electric Cooperative

City of Whitefish Parking Garage

There is also a Charger at up at Lake McDonald just North or Kalispell.

Last edited:
Newbie here - What Is HPWC? Currently on the way to Kalispell as a destination, and looking at options. Red Lion says for guests only and I’m not planning to stay there. How enforced is that?
Thx!

I can say it is starting to be enforced at hotels with stickers that say please see front desk to turn on. I have never used without staying or asking. It is high tourism season in the Glacier area. Without asking you could be looking at a tow if you left your car. Not asking, and not staying but using is power theft. I would say make other plans via Plug Share.

Red Lion Hotel Kalispell
Charging

1 Tesla Connector, up to 10kW.
Available for patrons only. Please see front desk.

Reactions: KJD