Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Osoyoos, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla.com/findus now has changed Osoyoos to Q4 2021. Wonder why the delay?
1619119765838.png

It may have some relationship to covid (things have been bad in BC lately). Given that Castlegar is similarly delayed, it's unlikely to be an issue specific to Osoyoos...
No, not COVID, this site has been listed as permitted for 660 days, long before the outbreak put a damper on things. I think the local thinking does not see electric cars as the new future, maybe just a big city thing. I much prefer this scenic route to the south Okanagan and had long hoped this location would have been completed long before now.

No, not COVID, this site has been listed as permitted for 660 days, long before the outbreak put a damper on things. I think the local thinking does not see electric cars as the new future, maybe just a big city thing. I much prefer this scenic route to the south Okanagan and had long hoped this location would have been completed long before now.

Say what? The question was why the timeline was recently updated from Q2 2021 to Q4 2021, not why it wasn't built 2 years ago... And again, it's not only this site that was delayed. Also, given that they're planning to build the supercharger on municipal property rather than at a private business (the latter being much more common), I'd say the town was at least moderately supportive...

Honestly, Osooyoos is the location outside of the Lower Mainland most people are looking forward to.
It's a very popular tourist destination and the local municipality recognized the value of adding a Supercharger in addition to other fast charging.
Even if hadn't before planned on stopping there, it would be an excuse to stop over and spend your money there.
That's just smart business sense.
I've been seeing many posts last summer of Tesla owners going there for the weekends.
With Princeton SC up, it's even easier and many hotels and spots have Destination or J1772.

I would say it boils down to:
1. Tesla planning
2. Tesla prioritizing
3. Site negotiations
4. Contractor agreements/commitments
5. Tesla re-priortizing

From what I monitored from the Prairie rollout, Tesla had the single contractor from Prince Alberta doing all those sites.
Seems to be the same situation here in BC with Coquitlam and North Vancouver having the same contractor.
And if Tesla ends up sending resources (equipment, personnel) elsewhere... eventually, they'll circle back.
Maybe if Elon takes a Canadian vacation in the Cybertrck, their priority might get bumped up.

If Osoyoos is a popular “destination,” then Tesla needs more destination charging, not necessarily a SC, which would more easily allow pass-through to somewhere else. I don’t discount the need for a SC, just not as a destination. As an example, during my last BC vacation, I was able to overnight in Osoyoos then travel 250km to Hope with my 70D loaded with bicycles. So, even before Princeton SC, even -30% range with bicycles, even an older low-range 70D there was no need for an SC when Osoyoos is the destination.

Now, if traveling on to other locations like Nelson, Cranbrook, Invermere, up into the wilderness, etc. then yes, I will agree that Osoyoos needs a SC. However, in those cases, the local economy actually suffers and fewer $$$ are spent (one coffee/lunch vs a minimum of one overnight hotel and three meals). On various trip, I have overnighted at Harrison Hotsprings, Vernon, Invermere, Radium, Nelson, Kimberley, Creston, and Grand Forks. Some of these locations actually received more of my tourist dollars because there were no SCs but rather destination chargers.

Unfortunately (or fortunately from the environmental perspective), the number of Tesla EVs have exponentially increased since my last pre-covid trip while destination charging has not. Nowadays I find that most overnight charging must be shared with other EVs. I’ve actually had to change to overnighting near/at the SC just because I cannot guarantee destination charging. Once cross-border covid restrictions are removed, I fully expect to meet many more EVers at those destination chargers. Yes, we need more SCs, but also just about every hotel now needs 2+ destination chargers (at least 2% of parking spaces).

If Osoyoos is a popular “destination,” then Tesla needs more destination charging, not necessarily a SC, which would more easily allow pass-through to somewhere else. I don’t discount the need for a SC, just not as a destination. As an example, during my last BC vacation, I was able to overnight in Osoyoos then travel 250km to Hope with my 70D loaded with bicycles. So, even before Princeton SC, even -30% range with bicycles, even an older low-range 70D there was no need for an SC when Osoyoos is the destination.

Now, if traveling on to other locations like Nelson, Cranbrook, Invermere, up into the wilderness, etc. then yes, I will agree that Osoyoos needs a SC. However, in those cases, the local economy actually suffers and fewer $$$ are spent (one coffee/lunch vs a minimum of one overnight hotel and three meals). On various trip, I have overnighted at Harrison Hotsprings, Vernon, Invermere, Radium, Nelson, Kimberley, Creston, and Grand Forks. Some of these locations actually received more of my tourist dollars because there were no SCs but rather destination chargers.

Unfortunately (or fortunately from the environmental perspective), the number of Tesla EVs have exponentially increased since my last pre-covid trip while destination charging has not. Nowadays I find that most overnight charging must be shared with other EVs. I’ve actually had to change to overnighting near/at the SC just because I cannot guarantee destination charging. Once cross-border covid restrictions are removed, I fully expect to meet many more EVers at those destination chargers. Yes, we need more SCs, but also just about every hotel now needs 2+ destination chargers (at least 2% of parking spaces).
As has been mentioned elsewhere, I suspect that the Covid related border restrictions are a factor for sites like Osoyoos, Okanogan/Omak, Shelby MT, Pembina ND, etc. Without the normal levels of north/south traffic, there is less urgency for sites like these.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf

I live in Nelson and travel to the coast occasionally (as little as possible though, not a city lover haha). I don't go through Osoyoos right now at all, so rather than get at least my $5 for coffee or $40 for the family to have lunch, they are getting zero because I go through Kelowna and Merritt.

I live in Nelson and travel to the coast occasionally (as little as possible though, not a city lover haha). I don't go through Osoyoos right now at all, so rather than get at least my $5 for coffee or $40 for the family to have lunch, they are getting zero because I go through Kelowna and Merritt.
I agree. Live in Oregon (and before pandemic) travelled to visit Okanagan family often. I much prefer 97 through Washington and BC than I-5/Coq.

Reactions: Greatsave35
I have no disagreement with passing through Osoyoos and needing a SC. I was replying to a person who said it was a popular destination. If so, then more destination chargers are needed. I don’t know, maybe it’s a popular day trip from Vancouver, which would then obviously require a SC. Selfishly, this is a great SC location for me because getting from Kennewick to Kelowna was a bit of a challenge before Moses Lake, Leavenworth or Entiat SCs were installed. Really looking forward to Omak, which is where I had to overnight before.

Hmmm, 346 km to Kelowna vs 376 km to Princeton and plenty of L2s along Highway 3 for lunch/coffee stops, including Osoyoos. Google says you add nearly an hour to Vancouver via Kelowna (without accounting for charging or traffic). Maybe you have other reasons for your chosen route, but for me, I rather not have to go through Kelowna ever again. I would opt for lunch in Osoyoos at a L2 charger (3 hrs into the drive) and skip the traffic in Kelowna. I’ve done the Nelson to Hope route, even before Princeton SC. This was summer, and I will definitely agree it’s a different beast in winter. I’ve read your Leaf blogs, so I know that you’re well-versed in stretching the EV miles.;)

I have no disagreement with passing through Osoyoos and needing a SC. I was replying to a person who said it was a popular destination. If so, then more destination chargers are needed. I don’t know, maybe it’s a popular day trip from Vancouver, which would then obviously require a SC. Selfishly, this is a great SC location for me because getting from Kennewick to Kelowna was a bit of a challenge before Moses Lake, Leavenworth or Entiat SCs were installed. Really looking forward to Omak, which is where I had to overnight before.

Hmmm, 346 km to Kelowna vs 376 km to Princeton and plenty of L2s along Highway 3 for lunch/coffee stops, including Osoyoos. Google says you add nearly an hour to Vancouver via Kelowna (without accounting for charging or traffic). Maybe you have other reasons for your chosen route, but for me, I rather not have to go through Kelowna ever again. I would opt for lunch in Osoyoos at a L2 charger (3 hrs into the drive) and skip the traffic in Kelowna. I’ve done the Nelson to Hope route, even before Princeton SC. This was summer, and I will definitely agree it’s a different beast in winter. I’ve read your Leaf blogs, so I know that you’re well-versed in stretching the EV miles.;)
Ah, my misunderstanding.

Re why the route I chose - for roughly the same amount of time, I could use my CHAdeMO adapter and drive Highway 3; however, the last time I went to the coast was in 2019 (the "before" days), and there was only 1 public DCFC in each town that I would have had to rely on. Having "been there, done that" too many times with the Leaf (arrived at a single DCFC, only to find it broken or in use or some other weird gremlin), I value the consistent reliability of using Superchargers. Enough so that I put up with driving through Kelowna!

There are now plenty of Chademos that allow travel on Hwy 3.

Esp with the Princeton Supercharger helping with flexibility.

Osoyoos, Rock Creek, Greenwood, Cristina Lake, etc.

The changed date was a gut punch. I was sure we would see Osoyoos this summer:(
My range with roof box and bike rack isn't sufficient to skip many chargers - I still have to plan carefully with ABRP. I try not to go further than about 200km before planning on a charge, unless I am going to a set of chargers I know are totally reliable (e.g. Kelowna).

Reactions: BlueSparky