Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Palo Alto - Stanford Shopping Center (LIVE 5 Nov 2019, 20 Urban Stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still trying to figure out what the heck they are doing in the area on the ground floor. Doesn't make any sense to me as part of a supercharger. It really looks like the prep for an Electrify America station. Maybe a dual install?

EDIT: Yep, I just checked EA's website and it lists a future station at the Stanford Shopping Center. So, that makes much more sense now.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Only a couple of items changed this week. Electricians continued the cabling on the 2nd level and installed safety bollards in front of all the charging pedestals.
2.jpg

Markings on the road and sidewalk area preparing to dig from the street to the transformer areas.
1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Just charged there today during my lunch break, maxed out at 72 kw and around 250 miles per hour (albeit for a short amount of time), hovered around the 64-66 kw mostly. Not bad. Plenty of food options and closer to my work than the East Palo Alto one. Probably will become my favorite SC. Thumbs up Tesla.

I notice this is referred to as "Palo Alto - Stanford Shopping Center" by Tesla. Hinting that there is another one in Palo Alto coming... (or just assuming that, being California, there will be another one soon enough even if it's not confirmed yet)

I notice this is referred to as "Palo Alto - Stanford Shopping Center" by Tesla. Hinting that there is another one in Palo Alto coming... (or just assuming that, being California, there will be another one soon enough even if it's not confirmed yet)
Palo Alto is home to the Tesla Headquarters, a full Service Center, a mall Showroom (also at Stanford Shopping Center), and now a Supercharger. So, sure, the new Supercharger needs some qualification in the name.

Strangely, the Find Us page does not have a Supercharger pin for this site, nor a gray pin on the City of Palo Alto name for a Supercharger, nor does Menlo Park, which has a mostly complete Supercharger installation. The closest gray pin is on Woodside, which is on the other side of the I-280 freeway.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
A Palo Alto Utilities Advisory Commission meeting from this summer had a presentation discussing EV charging in the city with a slide showing that Tesla had/has been working on other locations in the city (besides just the Stanford mall) for superchargers. Specifically, at the Bryant/Lytton St. parking garage. But, so far as I can tell, they haven't applied for any permits or other public approvals yet. It may not turn into anything, but I periodically search to see if it does.

Supercharger- Palo Alto, CA_Bryant&Lytton garage project.JPG

If the curbside charger is the one I think it is, they need to replace it and put someone in charge of maintaining it. Now that I've checked it, it's not even on PlugShare any more.
The comment about 3000 El Camino is strange. I would think they could find somewhere in the Palo Alto Square parking lot that would be suitable.

Reactions: MarcoRP
I was there yesterday around 11AM. 10B was out, but 8B worked fine. I got around 66 kw. Most of the spots were empty. I go by that location a couple times a week; it looks like it's going to be a good place to get a quick charge. Previously, my main local site was Sunnyvale, which has a nominally higher charge rate, but which is generally too crowded to generate its full power to any single spot, and which also frequently has lines where you have to wait before you can even start to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad