Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pickering ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1059.JPG

These photos popped up not more than 15 minutes ago

IMG_1058.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I charged at Pickering today and got 33kW, tapering down to 29kW, as SOC went from 77% to 84%. (It was just a top-up stop to check out the new location.) Then at Kingston, I charged from 17% to 89%, and as it passed through 77% I was getting 42kW. In the two cases, the battery should have been similarly warm - charging for an hour then driving for 40 minutes to Pickering, and then driving over two hours to Kingston. So it does seem that Pickering is not operating at full power. This location is still not on the Tesla website or the in-car nav, so maybe Tesla hasn't finished testing and they have intentionally limited it?

The best way to the SC is to go north on Brock Road until you see the superchargers on your right, then turn in just past them. And to get out, go south between the buildings past Mark's and turn right to get back to Brock.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Up and running - amazing number of cars for a supercharger not on the map View attachment 273303
Crap I was right there yesterday and could have used it. Didn't see it on my map.

When will it open for the rest of the colours? I traded my white car is for a black one last month.

Also the super low power is likely as it isn't 'live' yet and they're just doing low speed testing. Like your first pass at the dragstrip or your first layups in warmup... Easing into it.

I find that Tesla erred in placing Superchargers in downtown cores.
As if people who live in condos are going to pull into one of these locations for half an hour after working all day, is ludicrous!
Even worse in the morning. People won’t pull into one of these before heading to work! Insane!
Placing Superchargers so close to one other such as Barrie and The Vaughan Mills area is ridiculous.
They should have stuck with their original plan of long distance travel. My opinion of course!

As if people who live in condos are going to pull into one of these locations for half an hour after working all day, is ludicrous!
Even worse in the morning. People won’t pull into one of these before heading to work! Insane!
Placing Superchargers so close to one other such as Barrie and The Vaughan Mills area is ridiculous.
They should have stuck with their original plan of long distance travel. My opinion of course!
Where do they have Superchargers in downtown cores? The only one that fits that description in Eastern Canada is in Ottawa. We are not even sure that they are going to put one in downtown Toronto - they have one listed in Toronto but it that doesn't mean it will be downtown.

They have been putting them in suburban shopping malls and the few that have opened seem to be quite well used - including the Pickering one that isn't even technically open yet. And locations like Concord, Etobicoke and Pickering are on major highways so they are also very useful for those travelling longer distances, not just locals. And currently the Concord is not that close to any existing Superchargers - it will be if Vaughan gets built but Tesla doesn't always build the sites listed on its map, or they get moved.

You might not realize how few good options downtown dwellers have. I used to be able to charge where I worked but no longer (we moved). It's pretty unappealing to drive to Lawrence just to fast charge but this is what I end up doing sometimes. There's no decent fast charging nearby that isn't throttled or very expensive, and zero L2 charging east of the DVP. A downtown Supercharger would be very handy for a lot of us.

I cannot imagine condo people charging either before or after work. I imagine the way they will be used is once a week charging to 90% while shopping at the malls or shopping areas where they are being sited. That way they have a charge for the week. Most people living in condos would have a daily commute of probably less than 50 km a day. If they are going longer distances then they use the Superchargers like the rest of us fortunate enough to have home chargers.

A downtown Supercharger would be very handy for a lot of us.
I don't disagree but no one has ever said that there is going to be a downtown Supercharger. A while ago Tesla announced a bunch of Superchargers, including one for Toronto and put a pin on the map at the Toronto city hall.

But every Supercharger has a pin at city hall (or wherever Google has the city name). It isn't even clear how "Toronto" is defined. Does it mean downtown? Does it mean the pre-amalgamated city of Toronto. Does it mean the currently defined city of Toronto. If it is the latter then a Supercharger at the Metro zoo would still classify as Toronto. Give that Tesla has subsequently announced Superchargers for several of the other former cities that make up Toronto (North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough) I am guess that Toronto means the pre-amalgamated city.

And for 2018 they have some more granular sites announced including the Annex, Liberty Village and Yonge & Eg. But maybe the "Toronto" site will never be built and the three sites that I just mentioned will be the only sites in Toronto - none of them being downtown.

I don't disagree but no one has ever said that there is going to be a downtown Supercharger. A while ago Tesla announced a bunch of Superchargers, including one for Toronto and put a pin on the map at the Toronto city hall.

But every Supercharger has a pin at city hall (or wherever Google has the city name). It isn't even clear how "Toronto" is defined. Does it mean downtown? Does it mean the pre-amalgamated city of Toronto. Does it mean the currently defined city of Toronto. If it is the latter then a Supercharger at the Metro zoo would still classify as Toronto. Give that Tesla has subsequently announced Superchargers for several of the other former cities that make up Toronto (North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough) I am guess that Toronto means the pre-amalgamated city.

And for 2018 they have some more granular sites announced including the Annex, Liberty Village and Yonge & Eg. But maybe the "Toronto" site will never be built and the three sites that I just mentioned will be the only sites in Toronto - none of them being downtown.
They have a charger planned (and labeled) for Liberty Village in Toronto. While technically not right downtown, it's very close, and that's *very* specific in terms of location. There are a ton of offices and condos there, and highway access is non existent, really. Heck, just getting in and out of that area quickly is a challenge, especially during rush hour. I suspect they've got one planned for somewhere downtown Toronto also (I know their map officially state there is one coming, and yes, I know it's just a generic city pin at this point) - there are a TON of condo dwellers here (me included) who don't have many options for fast charging, and finding and leaving your car at a L2 charger for 12+ hours is annoying, not to mention it blocks access to those chargers for the majority of EV owners with smaller batteries who don't need to charge as long.

People who live and work downtown (again, like me) aren't interested in driving to a suburban shopping mall 45 minutes away just to charge their cars. What I've been doing is limited range charging and then drawing down on that charge until I need another. Then, I take a trip to a reliable L3 charger (mostly at Pearson) and/or park at an L2 charger overnight which requires a walk or an Uber (in this cold) to and from where I live.

Having the option to Supercharge for 30 minutes every few days at a downtown site would be awesome, and for a city like Toronto, where a lot of people actually LIVE in the downtown core, it makes perfect sense if Tesla wants to sell cars to people who live down here.

Reactions: rypalmer