Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Poncha Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We visited the site today and the power is now supplied to the transformer. It is humming and was warm to the touch. The meter is installed and working, showing the correct time but reading 000000 which implies the system has not yet been activated. I suspect that it is ready for Tesla to do their thing, check it out, verify proper operation and turn it on. It has to be close.
Did you notice if the stalls were labeled or if the cables were zip-tied?

0202180529.jpg

Superchargers seem to be on at 5 AM. I'm in a rental car so I can't plug-in.

@Solarman004, thanks for the message. I have enjoyed following the progress on this project and reporting on it. I know there are a lot of Tesla folks that are interested in this Supercharger and I am pleased to see it up and running. We will likely not use it much ourselves as it is only 30 miles from us, but very excited for all that can benefit from it, yourself included. I was aware of the “rumor” about the free roadster, but I was hoping for a Model 3, which I could possibly get sooner. Enjoy your ski trips.

Does this make visiting/exploring Black Canyon NP south rim any easier in an 85D?
Can one completely skip the chargers in Gunnison?
Yes, it should be pretty easy if you want to head out via Grand Junction. If you want to do an out and back from Poncha Springs it depends on the range of your car or whether you are willing to charge at the South Rim Campground or in Montrose. The distance to the Visitor Center from Poncha Springs Supercharger Station is about 122 miles, with perhaps 30 kWh needed in mild weather westbound and 27 kWh needed eastbound. So, it should be doable in an 85D, depending on the weather and your comfort zone. Grand Junction is only 75 miles, or about 11 kWh, if you would rather not go back to Poncha Springs. As always, YMMV. Once the Montrose Supercharger Station is built, trips to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP will become very easy to do from almost any direction.

Has anyone a good idea of a realistic kWh consumption # for the drive between the Grand Jct and Poncha SpCs - in either direction?
How about this: 188 miles at 256 Wh/mile west bound (with a moderate headwind) and a bit less east bound (in no wind or with a tailwind).

This estimate comes from Poncha Springs to Montrose: 256 Wh/mile in mild temperatures (50ºF, so no climate control used), moderate headwind, driving on bare pavement using snow tires, at the speed limit. As measured in my RWD S60. The reason it might seem a bit low is because the entire trip is at rather high altitude; Tessie the nav system tends to overestimate energy needed when driving at high altitude at 65 mph or less, IME. [If you want to speed or blast your way up Monarch Pass (elevation 11,312 feet), it will take more energy than I use as an "easy-does-it" speed limit driver.]

FWIW.

• Informative
Reactions: enniplace