Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mildura, Vic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And on every highway.

Why would I buy an EV that forces me to divert all the way into Bendigo when there is a big Shell fuel station right on the highway just before the bypass?
The Federal Governments 'EV Super highway' is currently being installed with a charger installed on the freeway every 150kms.

• Love
Reactions: johnchidgey
The Federal Governments 'EV Super highway' is currently being installed with a charger installed on the freeway every 150kms.
Including Marong, on the Bendigo bypass. Thanks for that, I'd missed that one.

The article mentions 117 "chargers". Not 117 "banks of chargers"...

I hope some of these "chargers" at least on the busier routes are not just single stall chargers again. But even if so, it's a nice start to be filling in the gaps.

Why would I buy an EV that forces me to divert all the way into Bendigo when there is a big Shell fuel station right on the highway just before the bypass?

What EV does that?
You've quoted me paraphrasing a hypothetical conversation about EV's that might happen at a BBQ with someone who knows nothing of EV's, or an EV-sceptic, or someone looking for any argument that EV's are crap because they can't even drive from Melbourne to Mildura without diverting into Bendigo. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yes, there are other non-Tesla chargers en-route to Mildura, and in fact according to my RWD Model 3 Tesla Nav, I don't have the range to get from Melbourne to Mildura on Superchargers alone anyway (can't make the 405km Bendigo-Mildura leg). I can, however, do Melbourne - Mildura with a single 56 minute charge at a single stall 50kW Tritium at Wycheproof (based on 20% arrival SOC). That is the quickest option according to ABRP. That 56 minute charge time wouldn't help my BBQ conversation either. What would help my BBQ conversation is fast DC charging on highways, which is the point I was making.

That person at the BBQ could even be my wife. Despite having a Tesla in the family, she is far from convinced. She does a lot of rural driving alone, and the range anxiety for her is very real. It's going to take far better charging infrastructure out there in rural locations for her to cross over from the dark side. She isn't alone.

Took a few days, but Mildura is now showing in the 'Charge Your Non-Tesla' or 'Charge Your EV' section of the Tesla app.

IMG_4793.png

Reactions: RichardV