Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger rates up over 50%!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ontario was 13/26, now 20/40!
Price hike North America wide.

Tesla Quietly Jacks Up Supercharging Rates In U.S.
I think that Tesla may have been caught up in commercial demand rates pricing. In many areas, the PoCo commercial user charges are determined by the rate of power draw in the first 15 minutes of the time of use period and imputes that rate of use for the whole day, even when subsequent usage may be next to nothing. It is their way to gouge business customers.

I read about a small business owner who charged his EV (I think a Volt, or some such) early, before business hours, only to get a bill for a high kW rate of draw for the entirety of each day, even though the power consumption rate dropped to very little after the first couple of hours.

As an investor, I'm thrilled. The previous rates had no way of covering demand charges, let alone allowing for future build up.
As a future owner, meh. Most of my charging will be at home, hopefully by solar.

If I had my say, they would cease free supercharging for S/X at the end of 2018. By then the 3 production should be in full swing. Offer it as a ~$2000 option again perhaps. That capital infusion from the taxi/delivery services owners will help fund the SC network just as well, even if it is a loss leader.

Ontario was 13/26, now 20/40!
Price hike North America wide.

Tesla Quietly Jacks Up Supercharging Rates In U.S.

If you believe the old map vs the current rates:

They dropped the rate in Tennessee. Was 12/24, now 10/20!

but I just check the wayback machine (internet archive) and the old map is wrong. It was 8/16 in Tennesse not 12 so the map isn't giving accurate data to compare to.

Supercharging - https://web.archive.org/web/20180201045829/https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

Last edited:
I did see this is good. I was worried that SC get over crowded after I get my Model 3. With current rate, most Model 3 will charge at home and only use SC for distance travel. Of course there will be still some S/X guys charge there because if it is free to them, but those guys exist for some time, and never crowded the SC in most of cases.

BTW, FLO station in Markham civic center charges 10$ per hour, and it really can go up to 80Kw. I used to blame them too expensive, with Tesla’s new pricing, it is not that bad.

BTW, FLO station in Markham civic center charges 10$ per hour, and it really can go up to 80Kw...

Well that is certainly news. It would have to be a prototype, because no unit over 125A/500V is listed for sale on AddEnergie's site. Though 125A/500V is 62.5 kW, I don't know any common EVs that can take much over 400V, so the de facto max power of the production AddEnergie units is 50 kW. The 60-75 kWh Tesla S batteries have a limit of 350V, so they max out at 43.75 kW on the FLO stations in Quebec. Finally, if the Markham FLO is providing 80 kW to some EVs, it is getting there by upping the current to at least 160A and the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is only rated to 125A.

Well that is certainly news. It would have to be a prototype, because no unit over 125A/500V is listed for sale on AddEnergie's site. Though 125A/500V is 62.5 kW, I don't know any common EVs that can take much over 400V, so the de facto max power of the production AddEnergie units is 50 kW. The 60-75 kWh Tesla S batteries have a limit of 350V, so they max out at 43.75 kW on the FLO stations in Quebec. Finally, if the Markham FLO is providing 80 kW to some EVs, it is getting there by upping the current to at least 160A and the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is only rated to 125A.

Sorry, my mistake. PlugShare says it is 400V 50Kw and 120A

Last edited: