Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla DC chargers are really expensive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
IMG_1081.PNG

Holy cow! I was blown away by the Onroute Ivy charger costs!

We went to Montreal for my best mate's birthday celebration and unlike other times, we did not stay at a Holiday Inn with free destination chargers. When I compared the SuperCharger rates to these, I was shocked. I am certain that the Tesla ones are cheaper. And this one was only 50Kw! Suffice to say that my normally <$40 round trip to Montreal was closer to $120 this time as I had to pay everywhere.

I think Montreal is now leveraging on their very high EV adoption, province wide, despite having the lowest hero electric costs in the country.

Rant over. It was a fun trip anyway.

We went to Montreal for my best mate's birthday celebration and unlike other times, we did not stay at a Holiday Inn with free destination chargers. When I compared the SuperCharger rates to these, I was shocked. I am certain that the Tesla ones are cheaper. And this one was only 50Kw! Suffice to say that my normally <$40 round trip to Montreal was closer to $120 this time as I had to pay everywhere.

I think Montreal is now leveraging on their very high EV adoption, province wide, despite having the lowest hero electric costs in the country.

Rant over. It was a fun trip anyway.

Did you use your CCS adapter? Some units show 100 KWh
I skip over these stops and try to explore different SC locations when possible so I've never used the IVY units

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Another reason not to use them.

I had nothing but trouble getting my Tesla ccs adapter to work with Enroute Ivy. Communication problems. Tried a few times, got it to work once or twice, gave up the rest.
Also, those stiff, heavy cables and the bulky adapter looked like they would break my Tesla's socket.
Anyway, haven't been back in a year or so.
Maybe they're better now?

• Informative
Reactions: richyrich
Another reason not to use them.

I had nothing but trouble getting my Tesla ccs adapter to work with Enroute Ivy. Communication problems. Tried a few times, got it to work once or twice, gave up the rest.
Also, those stiff, heavy cables and the bulky adapter looked like they would break my Tesla's socket.
Anyway, haven't been back in a year or so.
Maybe they're better now?
Mine worked fine. Just dang expensive. Are you using an original Tesla made adapter?

Mine worked fine. Just dang expensive. Are you using an original Tesla made adapter?
Yup. Think it was Ivy software on the phone. Maybe it's better now. I even tried their Card but it too was erratic.

Just tried the adapter again at Cookstown Tanger Outlets. Used Chargepoint App with 50kW Flo CCS charger. Worked ok. $0.54 per kWh, compared to Tesla's 60 cents in Barrie, but only 50kW.