Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Red Bluff, CA (LIVE 27 Nov 2019, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently no one has pumped gas in a sketchy neighborhood before.

It is what it is. Plan it out and use a different one or just deal with it if you’re stuck there. Sketchy neighborhoods aren’t some new and novel concept that suddenly popped up with the “invention” of Tesla supercharging.
Agree with this, and I kind of get a chuckle at all the "scary" posts. You can't expect Tesla to provide 24/7 security for all their sites. Gas stations don't do this either. If you want to avoid the random wandering homeless man, plan your trip out better. Either don't charge late at night or choose superchargers with 24 hour facilities.

Reactions: 1100MCM
Agree with this, and I kind of get a chuckle at all the "scary" posts. You can't expect Tesla to provide 24/7 security for all their sites. Gas stations don't do this either. If you want to avoid the random wandering homeless man, plan your trip out better. Either don't charge late at night or choose superchargers with 24 hour facilities.
I don't think actual security guards are being asked. Rather, there are things that can be done to increase safety. For example, adding more lights at both the SC and the adjacent parking lots, adding security cameras, etc.

The best thing that can happen, is getting some more businesses into all those vacant units; increasing foot traffic. The scariness comes from this being a parking lot, far from the main road, without any other human around. To steal a movie phrase: "In Red Bluff, No One Can Hear You Scream".

Reactions: bmah
I don't think actual security guards are being asked. Rather, there are things that can be done to increase safety. For example, adding more lights at both the SC and the adjacent parking lots, adding security cameras, etc.

The best thing that can happen, is getting some more businesses into all those vacant units; increasing foot traffic. The scariness comes from this being a parking lot, far from the main road, without any other human around. To steal a movie phrase: "In Red Bluff, No One Can Hear You Scream".
Far from the main road? It's literally right next to I-5 and a state highway.

Tesla usually installs lights in dark parking lot. If they didn't do so here, I'd be surprised. I've charged here at night a few times and don't ever recall it being dark. To this point, I think Tesla's main motivation for installing security cameras has been people stealing their equipment, which hasn't happened in a couple years so maybe they have their guard down.

Far from the main road? It's literally right next to I-5 and a state highway.

Tesla usually installs lights in dark parking lot. If they didn't do so here, I'd be surprised. I've charged here at night a few times and don't ever recall it being dark. To this point, I think Tesla's main motivation for installing security cameras has been people stealing their equipment, which hasn't happened in a couple years so maybe they have their guard down.
While yes, the interstate is only a few feet away, there is a fence and significant foliage between the stalls and the freeway. The foliage prevents anyone from seeing (let alone hearing) anything happening at the SC, and the fence eliminates that direction as an escape route.

As for the state highway, same problem. Buildings and foliage prevent anyone traveling on that highway from seeing (or hearing) anything happening at the SC.

The only business in that plaza with any sizable patronage is the Food Maxx. While there is a clear line-of-sight, it is a significant distance away.

Ideally, the Burger King would reopen. That would vastly increase the amount of people in the immediate area of the SC.

Below is a fairly excellent 360. As you can see, none of the immediately adjacent businesses are open, and neither major roadway is visible: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...hUKEwj8uaebt_rxAhXSvZ4KHTQYCksQoiowEnoECEIQAw

Does anyone know why the Red Bluff Supercharger shows "temporarily closed" on the in "in car" app? I cruised by today on my way home from Napa and, by chance, saw it on my car display. Luckily, I didn't need to stop.
Probably just a glitch, but of course it could be actually down. Nav has been wonky for the last couple months. Really wish they'd fix it.

Does anyone know why the Red Bluff Supercharger shows "temporarily closed" on the in "in car" app? I cruised by today on my way home from Napa and, by chance, saw it on my car display. Luckily, I didn't need to stop.

Charged at Red Bluff a few days ago. Three of the eight stalls were coned off. The Tesla nav kept trying to send me to Corning or Williams instead. But I'd never used this one before and wanted to check it off the list. Bought some lunch at the mom and pop Chinese restaurant (edible and decent portions, but not great). Did a little housekeeping in the car - so the dumpster next to the stalls came in handy. Charged to 90% and made it home, ~225 miles, with 10% left.

We have family living near Red Bluff. I'll have to tell Randall they need to take care of their supercharger better. Personally, I've never feared for my safety, though once some pickup driver came over yelling at my charging while his pickup filled at the gas pump. It was weird, but not all that scary. I asked him about his truck and wandered over to check it out, and he asked a couple questions about driving electric, and we found that we were both just humans. I told him he ought to check out the Cyber truck.

I thought I had posted this upthread, but it was in another section of TMC. It kind of goes along with what @roblab says above.

I had a similar experience in Red Bluff at the Supercharger. I was able to remain hitched to my camper while charging, and a heavily tattooed guy in a jacked up F-250 pulled up to me. "That thing probably tows like a dream with the torque, right?" He was incredibly supportive and loved the idea of electric towing.

It's great to be reminded that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Reactions: otter
We have family living near Red Bluff. I'll have to tell Randall they need to take care of their supercharger better. Personally, I've never feared for my safety, though once some pickup driver came over yelling at my charging while his pickup filled at the gas pump. It was weird, but not all that scary. I asked him about his truck and wandered over to check it out, and he asked a couple questions about driving electric, and we found that we were both just humans. I told him he ought to check out the Cyber truck.
I think my response would have been: "Wanna race?" I have family in Redding. Not my kind of place.

Stopped at Red Bluff SC earlier this week, 6 stalls out of order, trash everywhere, and a bit sketchy being at the back of a half-abandoned shopping center parking lot. Not a great experience... decided to charge just enough to move on to a better location.

Stopped at Red Bluff SC earlier this week, 6 stalls out of order, trash everywhere, and a bit sketchy being at the back of a half-abandoned shopping center parking lot. Not a great experience... decided to charge just enough to move on to a better location.
Imagine the benefits Red Bluff could have realized with a Supercharger in their back yard. Right next to prime real estate and I5. This would have been the time to "take the bull by the horns" and do something with those properties. Where was the city council? Well, Redding may soon benefit, as they are 30 miles up the freeway and soon to receive a SC in what looks like a welcoming area. Let's hope.

I would agree.. it was already a bit sketch earlier this year. Most of the shops are shuttered and it didn’t seem to be pandemic related they seemed shuttered for a while. No real bathrooms nearby. I wouldn’t want to go there at dawn or dusk.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
Imagine the benefits Red Bluff could have realized with a Supercharger in their back yard. Right next to prime real estate and I5. This would have been the time to "take the bull by the horns" and do something with those properties. Where was the city council? Well, Redding may soon benefit, as they are 30 miles up the freeway and soon to receive a SC in what looks like a welcoming area. Let's hope.
Let's just say Red Bluff is more of a rollin' coal diesel truck kinda town.

Reactions: 1100MCM
Red bluff is getting another! New find us map update today!

Attachments

• 98952824-0CA7-448B-BA76-D3E81DA47923.png
    98952824-0CA7-448B-BA76-D3E81DA47923.png
    405.4 KB · Views: 63