Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redding, CA (LIVE 11 Oct 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Moved some progress reports on the Cottonwood Supercharger to that thread:

Bruce.

This is a sad day for Redding that this is no longer a supercharger site. This was the second attempt for a supercharger to be here in Redding. It may be in fact that one will still be placed here, maybe a large installation like Kettleman city. But we are rural north and I had received an email from the city manager that EV adoption is not huge here and the charger at Target is only used 0.2 percent of the time. We are a major crossroad. We cannot drive to Reno from here thru Susanville in a model X. With the installation of Red Bluff only 15 minutes from Corning does give us a chance still, but probably not a priority. Anderson has installed a DC quick charger. I hope we will be re-reconsidered.
The supercharger is being built in Cottonwood, about 25 miles from Redding. Cottonwood makes no sense because Red Bluff is only 15 miles south of Cottonwood and there is a high speed supercharger there. Redding is at the intersection of I-5 north/south and I-44 east/west. This was apparently a purely political decision. The Redding city council is anti EV. I believe that the actual incorporated City of Shasta Lake makes way more sense for a supercharger site rather than Cottonwood. It's a shorter drive north of I-44 than Cottonwood is south.

The supercharger is being built in Cottonwood, about 25 miles from Redding. Cottonwood makes no sense because Red Bluff is only 15 miles south of Cottonwood and there is a high speed supercharger there. Redding is at the intersection of I-5 north/south and I-44 east/west. This was apparently a purely political decision. The Redding city council is anti EV. I believe that the actual incorporated City of Shasta Lake makes way more sense for a supercharger site rather than Cottonwood. It's a shorter drive north of I-44 than Cottonwood is south.

When I was a kid my parents' best friends moved to Redding and my parents made the trek up there (from Los Angeles yearly). When I moved to Washington my parents would combine the trips and stop in Redding first, then come up and visit me. One year my father had a joke thing from his friend which was an application to live in Redding. It had questions like:

What type of home do you have?
a) Single-wide
b) Double-wide

I'm not surprised Redding is anti-EV.

When I was a kid my parents' best friends moved to Redding and my parents made the trek up there (from Los Angeles yearly). When I moved to Washington my parents would combine the trips and stop in Redding first, then come up and visit me. One year my father had a joke thing from his friend which was an application to live in Redding. It had questions like:

What type of home do you have?
a) Single-wide
b) Double-wide

I'm not surprised Redding is anti-EV.
Their not anti-EV, Tesla is the one that hasn't broke ground yet.

That literally makes no sense as people would have to drive up there to turn around to hit 44/299. I do agree that Cottonwood is a little iffy.. BUT that will take a load off of Red Bluff, and soon Redding. So I also completely understand why they did it. I5 is a bustling place :)

None of this makes any sense to me. Redding should have been number 1 on the list... and remember, at one time they were. The planners at Tesla are not idiots. The only thing I can figure is that Redding or REU (Redding Electric Utility) threw up some barriers.

None of this makes any sense to me. Redding should have been number 1 on the list... and remember, at one time they were. The planners at Tesla are not idiots. The only thing I can figure is that Redding or REU (Redding Electric Utility) threw up some barriers.
Agreed, HOWEVER the location where they will be going is Pristine. That wasn't even considered a few years back. I'm just super stoked their not downtown in that Hell-Hole. Could you imagine a Plaid rolling into the Thunderbird or better yet Capri Motel LMAO.

Reactions: Trekboy
Anderson CA. Is about to be a whole lot better!!! Right at the entrance to the Factor outlets. Anderson us between redding and cottonwood!

Attachments

• 20211231_145956.jpg
    20211231_145956.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 109
That is a Tesla battery system. Specifically the cabinet that says TESLA on it is the inverter cabinet for a Tesla PowerPack battery and the 3 cabinets next to it are the battery cabinets each of which holds up to 210 kWh. It could still be related to EV charging as Electrify America uses Powerpack systems, but Tesla doesn't anymore. They use their Megapack battery system (up to 3 MWh of storage per unit) for pairing with superchargers now.

• Informative
Reactions: Trekboy
That is a Tesla battery system. Specifically the cabinet that says TESLA on it is the inverter cabinet for a Tesla PowerPack battery and the 3 cabinets next to it are the battery cabinets each of which holds up to 210 kWh. It could still be related to EV charging as Electrify America uses Powerpack systems, but Tesla doesn't anymore. They use their Megapack battery system (up to 3 MWh of storage per unit) for pairing with superchargers now.
I knew someone here was smarter than me! Thank you good sir for the clarification!!