Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sagamore Beach, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never heard that one. Thought it was Taxachusetts.

Yes I know you can make statistics make any point you want but this ranking at least caught my interest. Mass is 40th in total tax rank.
Not sure I believe this report but at least Mass no longer makes most top 10 lists for tax burden by states like it used to.
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/
tax burden.PNG

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to get into the validity of the nickname just that I was familiar with Mass being called Taxachusetts just as Michigan is Militia-gan.

By the way, the chart fails to include Property taxes which I suspect changes the ranking by State.

Now more importantly - when is the Bourne Supercharger going to open?

Yes I know you can make statistics make any point you want but this ranking at least caught my interest. Mass is 40th in total tax rank.
Not sure I believe this report but at least Mass no longer makes most top 10 lists for tax burden by states like it used to.
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/

Some people refer to Maine as "Taxationland" as a play on the license plate slogan "Vacationland".

My experience with inspectors is they "make it (rules) up as they go along", at least in Somerville (maybe Bourne too?)

Here's my story: I had a very minor problem with the wiring of my PV inverter to my meter. It took a while to fix (Boston Solar is my installer) and now 5-weeks later it is getting inspected this Friday. Parallel to my PV install, I determined I needed 400 amp service because I have installed a HPWC (80 amp) and a Blink charger (30 amp - for my Leaf). While I was waiting for the re-inspection of my minor PV wiring problem, I personally visited the Somerville electrical inspector to find out what the hold up was. He told me that I needed to complete the 400 amp install and then he would inspect everything (PV wiring issue and 400 amp wiring). Then I get a call on Tuesday from Boston Solar that the inspector would be out this Friday to inspect the minor wiring problem; Which is it!!!!!

So as you can see from this story that the inspection service in Somerville (and probably Bourne) is just making stuff up as they go along... and Boston Solar's back office operations, BLOW!

I wonder what takes so long to open it up now. Could it be the inspector purposely delaying the final permit?

OK, we're really off-topic here, but I don't moderate this section...

The data re tax burden posted above is from 2002. Newer numbers paint a different picture. Here are the NE+NY states with their national rank (1=highest tax/$1000 personal income):
StateRateNational Rank
New York12.6%1
Connecticut11.9%2
Rhode Island10.5%8
Vermont10.5%9
Massachusetts10.3%11
Maine10.2%14
It's a good thing superchargers are free, given how expensive it is to live here! (<-- half-hearted attempt to be OP)

OK, we're really off-topic here, but I don't moderate this section...

The data re tax burden posted above is from 2002. Newer numbers paint a different picture. Here are the NE+NY states with their national rank (1=highest tax/$1000 personal income):
StateRateNational Rank
New York12.6%1
Connecticut11.9%2
Rhode Island10.5%8
Vermont10.5%9
Massachusetts10.3%11
Maine10.2%14
It's a good thing superchargers are free, given how expensive it is to live here! (<-- half-hearted attempt to be OP)

So does that mean that New Hampshire should be the last in New England to get a Supercharger? New Hampshire (that you left out) is #44 on the list at 8.0%. Maybe not, Wyoming at #50 and 6.9% was one of the first to get Superchargers in the cross-county push almost a year ago...

Interesting perspective, maybe this explains why tiny Connecticut has three Supercharger locations (Greenwich, Darien & Milford) with a 4th approved (West Hartford). I guess you get what you pay for!?!?!

Come on Mass - get your 3 sites (Auburn, Bourne and West Springfield) up and running already!!!!

could have been, but I think this site is trying to set a new Tesla record:

"longest completed SuperCharger without power"

Sagamore has clearly won this dubious achievement.

Tried calling inspector to check status yesterday between 8:30 and 9:30 (his office hours per the town website). I got a recording saying to call between office hours. Town website says he is not available tomorrow (usually works Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Very frustrating knowing that all that is needed is a flip of the switch.

Ha! yeah...I think it's a dead heat between Sagamore and Ocala.

San Juan Capistrano and Indio still have the records for longest construction time.

From Supercharger - Indio, CA - Page 41:
I can't really say about utility transformer connection, but my limited research showed the following:

Total time from breaking ground to opening:
SJC = 146 Days
Indio = 130 Days (and counting...)
Indio went live on 9/26 so it ended up a total of 134 days.

According to Supercharger.Info construction started at Sagamore on Tue, Jun 17 2014; that means it has been 115 days so far. Ocala started on Aug 24 2014, making that 47 days.

Sagamore still has a ways to go to best San Juan Capistrano at 146 days for longest construction time, and Ocala is not even in the running yet.

Cottonwood, look at the pictures. the site is complete, transformer installed & wired, site tested with generator truck over a month ago... its tied up in buerecratimotive force (that's the tendancy of any government bureacracy towards self-preservation and taking their sweet time)

Cottonwood, look at the pictures. the site is complete, transformer installed & wired, site tested with generator truck over a month ago... its tied up in buerecratimotive force (that's the tendancy of any government bureacracy towards self-preservation and taking their sweet time)

I understand your frustration. There are many places to have annoying delays. Just saying other sites have taken longer beginning to end; San Juan Capistrano was months to get an easement straightened out before they could run the wires to the transformer.

I'm not sure where this Asterix cartoon was first posted, but don't start watching until you have 10 minutes available. It is all too real sometimes; I recommend a glass of wine with it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got off the phone with Ed, the electrical inspector of Bourne. He is arguing there is a master electrical license issue with the Sagamore Tesla Supercharger during the construction; hence, he will not sign-off on the project. He appeared quite annoyed he was not consulted or informed before the Sagamore Tesla Supercharger was built. Frankly, I believe he concerned about being the first town on having the Supercharger.

Honestly, I have no idea if the master electrical license issue is real or not.

Let's keep in mind, this is Ed's side of the story.