Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Clemente, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2017, 49 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the cost per kW at these ChargePoints?

What is their charge rate?
The cost is $0.25/kWh. If you remain for more than 3hr 30 min, there will be an additional $10/hr applied.

They can deliver up to 62.5kW (156A). However, the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter will only allow 125A, so 50kW max.

Screen shot from ChargePoint app:
ChargePoint San Clemente.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
The cost is $0.25/kWh. If you remain for more than 3hr 30 min, there will be an additional $10/hr applied.

They can deliver up to 62.5kW (156A). However, the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter will only allow 125A, so 50kW max.

Screen shot from ChargePoint app:
View attachment 490773

Great info. Thanks!

ChargePoint's $0.25/kWh rate seems competitive to Tesla Superchargers... except you need a $450 Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. OUCH

And what is the charge rate & price if you aren't the 1% of the Tesla owners who own a $450 Tesla CHAdeMO adapter?

If ChargePoint's only other charging option is Level 2 charging, it will seem like FOREVER to get your Tesla recharged.

Stopped by yesterday afternoon to recharge our 2015 P85D / 52k miles / Tesla software version 2019.32.2.1 (v9) / 29% SoC / 60ºF / Supercharger set as destination 30 minutes before our arrival. The first Supercharger (adjoining the parking garage) I connected to was VERY slow (18kW). I waited a couple of minutes to see if it would increase and when it didn't I moved to another Supercharger next to the hillside and got a much better charge rate (43kW). This was much better than the first Supercharger... but still much slower than the previous years when we'd get ~ 115kW (unpaired) / 60kW unpaired.

Sure miss Supercharging being FAST. Maybe another example of ChargeGate. :(

Anybody with a 2014 / 2015 Model S with 85kW battery running v10 getting faster Supercharger rates?

max rate for me is 70kW. I think they toyed with it in the latest software. I have an appt scheduled for them to look at it. Something must be wrong.

For reference our charge rate in 3 months ago was 70kW

View attachment 486172

I stopped at the Lake Elsinore Supercharger yesterday afternoon to recharge our 2015 P85D / 53k miles / Tesla software version 2019.32.2.1 (v9) / 29% SoC / 60ºF / unpaired with this Supercharger set as my Navigation destination 30 minutes before our arrival.

I got significantly higher (83kW) rate at this Supercharger in identical SoC / ambient air temperature / and software version than I did at San Clemente (18kW and 43kW) last month.

Going to hit one of the new v3 Superchargers soon at similar SoC and ambient air temperature for more data... But it seems something is DEFINITELY wrong with the San Clemente Superchargers.

IMG_1219.JPG

Like several before us in this thread alone, we arrived at this SC late last night. Locked gate, locked parking structure with a sign pointing to "Tesla Chargers" behind the locked gate. We were very low but had enough to get to Carlsbad. WTF is the matter with Tesla and the superchargers? There is no note about the locked gate or calling security on the map for this SC. It did not occur to me to look up this thread and scroll to page 10 to find the secret handshake. I am starting to step off the Tesla train solely due to crappy SC upkeep and now locations. This kind of stuff is not acceptable to the general public or the Tesla army either.

BTW I never would have found the Carlsbad SC using the Tesla map unless I had been there before and followed someone in. They seem consistently bad in San Diego.

Last edited:
Like several before us in this thread alone, we arrived at this SC late last night. Locked gate, locked parking structure with a sign pointing to "Tesla Chargers" behind the locked gate. We were very low but had enough to get to Carlsbad. WTF is the matter with Tesla and the superchargers? There is no note about the locked gate or calling security on the map for this SC. It did not occur to me to look up this thread and scroll to page 10 to find the secret handshake. I am starting to step off the Tesla train solely due to crappy SC upkeep and now locations. This kind of stuff is not acceptable to the general public or the Tesla army either.

BTW I never would have found the Carlsbad SC using the Tesla map unless I had been there before and followed someone in. They seem consistently bad in San Diego.

Too bad you were not able to follow a Tesla owner in to the Supercharger. Last year had the same problem because of the construction on the route in that I usually take. I know there was another way in and figured it out. When I get home from our trip may have a map drawn to shed some light on a better way in. Maybe someone that knows this place well can do it for us. I charged there very early this morning way before the mall opened. Drove all night to get here and was able to find a way in. I did turn a little early and should have entered next entrance to make that shortest route to the Supercharger going thru Mall parking structure where the Mall Employees park and continue thru and you should see the Tesla's Supercharger.

I was the only one charging there at the time and made it to La Jolla (San Diego) with plenty of charge. It would be nice if the Tesla Nav Map would direct us on the route properly. But knowing where it is, is half the battle. You can see it on the map. The GPS systems of all types that I have had, sometime you have to use our head and try to use the zoom feature to get the big picture and zoom in to get the details we need until these GPS systems get better programing to get us where we need to be.

I was there at around 3AM so there was nobody else in the area. My complaint though is for other owners. This should not be an issue, owners must be able to know that a charger is available if it pops up on the map. In some cases there is no Plan B, if the charger is not accessible an owner will be stuck. Tesla has a display right in the car, all needed info should be displayed. Not mentioning that this SC needs to be unlocked, or that the access signs are wrong and that one needs to drive around back, is inexcusable.

Looking at my iPhone's Tesla messages for that day I must have arrived a little after 5 am and the gate to the parking structure must have been open. All the stores were closed to my knowledge. I did not notice any gate at the time. Next time I will pay more attention to that.
Last month, the back way that I usually used was blocked due to some construction. Was directed to go thru the parking structure (early evening). Have not tried the over the top of the structure to access to back as yet. I had the impression there are 3 ways to access the supercharger.

Are there 2 ways to get there without going thru the parking structure?
If so, are they still blocked due to construction?
At least one of them should be open after hours.

Coming in from Northern California our schedule coming thru here are sometimes late at night or very early in the morning. So far, been lucky and got access every time. We do depend on these Supercharger 24/7 for travel. This is are #1 Supercharger to use coming into the San Diego area as there is a lack of love for Tesla charging here for traveler.

Update dateline Covid-19. The mall is closed except for a few restaurants. Access to the Outlet is limited. If you know the area the bridge is closed and so is the entrance by Blaze Pizza.

The only entrance is Via Canon Verde. You can no longer cut through the underground parking lot. See photo

Head in on Via CV. Continue until it Ts at the mall. Turn right and follow the road until the end of the mall structure. Bare right down the hill and the road will take you to the Superchargers.

I spoke to security. This will be in effect for the foreseeable future.

Remember, when Tesla navigation has you driving in circles looking for a SC, pull up Google maps and zoom in. 99% of the time they have the exact location.

Stay safe.
7C84DA1A-8B0A-421A-A747-CECB100840E0.jpeg

Update dateline Covid-19. The mall is closed except for a few restaurants. Access to the Outlet is limited. If you know the area the bridge is closed and so is the entrance by Blaze Pizza.

The only entrance is Via Canon Verde. You can no longer cut through the underground parking lot. See photo

Head in on Via CV. Continue until it Ts at the mall. Turn right and follow the road until the end of the mall structure. Bare right down the hill and the road will take you to the Superchargers.

I spoke to security. This will be in effect for the foreseeable future.

Remember, when Tesla navigation has you driving in circles looking for a SC, pull up Google maps and zoom in. 99% of the time they have the exact location.

Stay safe.
View attachment 523617

We travelers that really need this Supercharger heading in to the San Diego area really appreciate your response and detailed information. I was counting on one of the regular users of this site to shed some light on the situation specially during off hours and now with the Covid-19 in the mix.

I will be needing this site on my next trip down. Thank you for the information.

Reactions: Bacalao
I was there at 3am this morning March 21. All entrances were heavily barricaded. No way to get in. I had to double back to San Juan Capistrano SC which was empty. I made it with 4 miles left. This is not a good situation as the Tesla nav map shows the San Clemente SC is still open. It's not, unless they take one of the barricades down during the day. But Teslas need access 24/7.

What about just going around the parking structure between the parking structure and the mall. There is a road that should access the back area to access the Tesla Supercharger area. Is that also blocked too?

This is a critical Supercharger to connect the Northern/Central California to the San Diego Area. For many Tesla Owners, they can go to San Diego from here and return with a full charge without going thru crap show in San Diego (putting up with long lines slow changing).

Tesla needs to show more love in this area for their customers.

San-Clemente-SC.jpg

I just got a return phone call from the manager of the Outlets. He said he was sorry for all the entrances being blocked when I was there. He said that the Via Canon Verde entrance (next to the parking garage) will remain open 24/7 and that if Security has a barrier across it to call them. The phone number will be next to the barrier.

The red line (above) shows directions and starts at Ave Vista Hermosa (I-5 exit from the north). Or, Ave Pico (I-5 exit from the south), turn right onto Ave Vista Hermosa.

Once the barrier at the Via Canon Verde entrance has been removed by Security, drive up to the T-junction and turn right to get to the Superchargers (see map above).

All other entrances will be permanently blocked for now (that includes the bridge entrance and parking garage).

If going to/from San Diego, the Carlsbad SC rarely has any line. Only 2 miles off the I-5. Take the La Costa Ave exit which has a speed limit of 55mph, so it's very convenient to the I-5. No bright lights like Del Mar or San Clemente so its a great SC to take a nap while charging. It has its own bathroom too. Entry code is on the screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado