Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove by the site this afternoon. The address appears to be that of the very large Target store. I didn't see anything nearby that looked like a Tesla supercharger site under construction but nearby there are several empty lots with temporary orange fencing and construction crews actively working in some of them. Does anybody know the exact coordinates of the new site?
@ka9q thanks for the update. You may want to keep an eye on that temporary orange fencing construction site near Target parking lot. There are several SC sites up here in the Bay Area that are located in Target parking lot: San Mateo Bridgepointe, Fremont-Hub and Sunnyvale. Wondering if Tesla and Target are partnering, but I haven't found any official document on that.

I went by here today and still no sign of any work. However, based on the layout, it seems very likely the chargers will be in the parking lot to the west of the building (#1 in picture). Technically that is the side of the road that shares a street number with Target, and is not a heavily used parking area currently. The second most likely is #2 in the picture, but I believe that would have an address closer to that of Chick-fil-A. Everything in front of/to the north of Target is heavily used for Target and the restaurants, so I don't think they would want to tear up the lot to trench in power nor give up prime parking spaces for the chargers.
IMG_6401.JPG

The fenced off lots nearby are all different properties, across roads, so it doesn't make much sense for them to start from scratch when they have the giant Target next door who they can get to chip in and already has plenty of available parking surface.

My guess is that it’ll be in the small lot between Starbucks and Chik-fil-A. It’s already isolated And the perfect size to accommodate several chargers. It’s right off Camino del Norte.

That's certainly possible, but for a few reasons I am skeptical about that area:

1. From the overhead it seems like only 8-10 spots, unless they round the corner or have them on opposing sides. But it seems like that may be a dumpster on the right side of that lot area. I would have to re-visit to confirm if that is the case. The permit says 12 stations and I am not sure they will fit there.
2. The address on the permit is Target's address. If they are involved in this at all, they wouldn't want it that far away, and where CFA customers would likely be ICEing it all the time.
3. It seems going off the beaten path tends to be more useful for SCs. Being that close to Camino Del Sur (it technically is no longer del norte once it gets that far West) could actually be a downside. The spot #1 I pointed out is immediately off the side-street with a light where it intersects CDS. The entrance between CFA and SB is right-turn only, which makes it less convenient if they are considering convenience in their placement.

For what it's worth, I was over there today again and didn't see anything new. I'm hoping with the announcement of a bunch of Targets deploying charging stations that this one may start ramping up. But at this point, any alternative to Qualcomm in town would be nice to siphon off some load.

If you are looking, then try to see where the main SDG&E transformer is for the shopping center. The closer to the main power supply the better.

It’s not a great photo but I assume these are it. They are in the middle of the back of the store, so the number one spot I marked is closest, but a decent distance. I wonder if they would just bring in a new transformer just for the chargers?
FD5C136B-72CF-42CE-9381-A12F6CAEA62D.png
F67EF934-7061-47B5-974E-43371CF677CE.jpeg

Also attached is the lot by cfa. It’s 9 spots on one side and 8 on the other. Strangely many of them are labeled vanpool/clean air. I have no idea what that is for, unless CFA has lots of people who vanpool to eat there? It didn’t seem like as natural of a spot as the west side of target, but I’ll take whatever they give us.

Yes, usually a Supercharger site needs its own, big, transformer. Trenching to the HV line location is a small part of the total cost of a Supercharger, so, really, specifically where the HV lines are isn’t a determinant of where the SC will be located.

Reactions: gaswalla
Sorry to bump with no good news, but I have been checking every few weeks and still no sign of any action here. I will continue to do so and post back if I see any activity. I do see this update on the permit, but can't tell what if anything changed:

SCOPE CHANGE 6/20/18 BLACK MOUNTAIN RANCH: Building and Electrical permits for installing (12) charging stations in parking lot of an existing commercial site. work includes installing transformers, supercharger cabinets & equipment enclosure and Light pole. Electrical vehicle charging equipment relocated. ZONE: CC-3-5,CC-4-5/ ESL/ Geo Haz 23,53

With 24/7 access and no "Paid" restriction on parking I would have thought this would have been a higher priority than the one at "A" street.
With the sky high SDG&E prices Tesla will have to pay for all the free chargers, I think they purposely opened A St first. It gives charging to those who truly need it with Qualcom being so overloaded, but keeps people from abusing it...

The website was recently updated with

BDR-Planning 07/11/2018

which isn't too long ago. Didn't see any changes at the Target lot.

I went by today, and there are two large construction dumpsters in the loading dock area that I marked "1" in the overhead picture above. However, I don't see what they would need them for for the superchargers unless they discard torn up asphalt in there when trenching or something. It seems unlikely, so I agree, no other signs of movement.

Another apparent scope change, increased to 15 chargers:
"SCOPE CHNG**7/23/18** BLACK MOUNTAIN RANCH: Building and Electrical permits for installing (15) charging stations in parking lot of an existing commercial site. work includes installing transformers, supercharger cabinets & equipment enclosure and Light pole. Electrical vehicle charging equipment relocated. ZONE: CC-3-5,CC-4-5/ ESL/ Geo Haz 23,53, Previous Permits, PTS 142244 and 344042."​

Search Project IDs 581515 (Elec. / Build) & 589694 (Right-of-way) on OpenDSD

Confusingly, the "Owner" under "Customer Information" listed on the Elec/Build Project page in the OP (won't type it out here) appears to actually be the owner of the 6th&A parking garage (located at 1350 Sixth Ave.), AKA the Downtown SD Supercharger. Maybe an error when copying info from the permit for that previous project.