Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It always surprises me at how much people expect things to be free these days. Downtown San Diego parking spaces are NOT cheap. This is being built in a car park, so there is no “extra” revenue that is going to accrue to the car park owner. This is probably the best that Tesla could do without paying a huge amount of rent per stall. And it has the bonus effect of ensuring that only people that need the charge will use it. Otherwise, it’d be San Juan Capistrano all over again with locals hanging out in their cars all the time.

And Superchargers are really, really expensive. Comparing them to a Wifi hotspot is ridiculous. They are at least 100 times as expensive!

I am personally glad that Tesla is continuing to take Supercharger build outs seriously. It would have been so easy for them to slow down construction and let the sites get overcrowded.
Prices at 1350 6Th Avenue San Diego CA
$5.00 nightly flat rate, 6pm-3am Sunday – Thursday
$10.00 nightly flat rate, 6pm-3am Friday – Saturday
$20.00 24-hour rate Sunday – Thursday
$25.00 24-hour rate Friday - Saturday
$15.00 event rate good for 12 hours

They don’t offer any free time for changing. You will pay at least $5 + charging

Yup, they did.

Between the expensive parking, narrow stalls, angled parking, and slow urban chargers, this remains one of the worst SD chargers.
I remember when the only San Diego supercharger was at Qualcomm and it was always crowded. This was the 2nd that opened and it was a huge relief just to have a reliable (if slow) option.