Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Moderator note: this post was moved from the San Diego location speculation thread to it’s own thread, thanks to @Heathman for finding the permit!)

Does this description sound like a Supercharger "setup" to anyone, or is it just me? I may be way off here....

Project: Tesla Evs CA 074 - #581651
for installing (16) EVC in an existing parking garage on grade with fenced in chainlink enclosures with installation of charger cabinets, switchgear assembly and transformer over new concrete pads.

It's for a permit applied for on 10/26/2017 at 1350 6th Ave San Diego, CA 92101.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go out on a little bit of a limb and assume that the San Diego permit that @Heathman found is actually a Supercharger location and not just 16 destination chargers.

It is at 1350 6th. Av., San Diego. That location is a large 5 or 6 story, 600 space parking garage over some ground floor retail. Given the project description, and the location inside a parking garage, it's just gotta be a Supercharger site.

Permit project info: Project Details | Open DSD

I really do not like it when the SC stations are located in Parking Lots you have to pay to park in or in areas that have premium parking. Unless they have some special Tesla rates parking in this area of San Diego is very expensive even for short term. I have never parked here so do not know their rates.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I really do not like it when the SC stations are located in Parking Lots you have to pay to park in or in areas that have premium parking. Unless they have some special Tesla rates parking in this area of San Diego is very expensive even for short term. I have never parked here so do not know their rates.

IMHO that’s an advantage. It’ll ensure that only travelers and local condo dwellers who need to use the SC will use it. Much less likely to be full all the time like SJC is.

Reactions: TexasEV and Graffi
There does appear to be a rooftop Carpark, from the Google Street View. Also there are stores and small restaurants, so they may have it set to 1st hour free or something

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 11.45.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 11.45.43 PM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 228
Right, unless they have a special rate. Or, as I mentioned in another thread, "first hour free". Locals can charge for free (I have no issue with that), but can't leave their cars without paying out big time $$.

Reactions: callmesam
Tonight it took 2 hours to get a net 78% charge at SpaceX (paired for the first 1.25 hours). Lots of convos and interesting activity so no huge deal, but...

First hour free *may* be fine for the local non-garaged segment as long as the pedestals are at full strength and ideally of the new urban variety (so that pairing is no longer a problem).

Beyond which, not everywhere will charge per kW (e.g., CA @ $0.20/kW). Some places will charge per minute (e.g., AZ with peak ($0.16/min) and off peak ($0.08/min) pricing). Poorly-performing pedestals will be a problem. Hopefully by then they’ve updated the Nav info to show at least relative pedestal health (current feature request).

For all of this, it sounds like this new San Diego SC (and maybe Burbank) will be good test cases for these upcoming realities.

Of the SCs at garaged or otherwise restricted parking (e.g., the airport at Savannah, GA; the mall at Edmonton, AB), they’ve all had at least the first hour free.

So far, so good.

Tonight it took 2 hours to get a net 78% charge at SpaceX (paired for the first 1.25 hours). Lots of convos and interesting activity so no huge deal, but...

First hour free *may* be fine for the local non-garaged segment as long as the pedestals are at full strength and ideally of the new urban variety (so that pairing is no longer a problem).

Beyond which, not everywhere will charge per kW (e.g., CA @ $0.20/kW). Some places will charge per minute (e.g., AZ with peak ($0.16/min) and off peak ($0.08/min) pricing). Poorly-performing pedestals will be a problem. Hopefully by then they’ve updated the Nav info to show at least relative pedestal health (current feature request).

For all of this, it sounds like this new San Diego SC (and maybe Burbank) will be good test cases for these upcoming realities.

Of the SCs at garaged or otherwise restricted parking (e.g., the airport at Savannah, GA; the mall at Edmonton, AB), they’ve all had at least the first hour free.

So far, so good.
You have to pay to park at the Birmingham supercharger. Or at least get the first hour or 90 minutes (can't remember which) validated by being a customer at one of the local businesses. Validation is impossible in the wee hours, so you have to pay at that point.

There are also many new urban superchargers that have a pay model, some of them with no option to validate.

You have to pay to park at the Birmingham supercharger. Or at least get the first hour or 90 minutes (can't remember which) validated by being a customer at one of the local businesses. Validation is impossible in the wee hours, so you have to pay at that point.

Same with Savannah if in the wee hours (nobody at the validation desk inside), except that just telling the cashier/gateperson resulted in no charge. Fairly relaxed affair.

There are also many new urban superchargers that have a pay model, some of them with no option to validate.

Izzat so. Many? Where, besides Manhattan?

Given the influx of funding and chargers for California (including but not limited to the Dieselgate $800M, private investment (e.g., AeroVironment) plus the 12,500 L2 and L3 chargers from the major utility companies statewide), I can't imagine that pay-to-play *on top of the per kW charge* will be competitive in the slightest.

Am reminded of wifi which in the early days often engendered a metered charge. Now it's hard to find a place that charges for wifi outside of the hotel (Wayport) and maybe the Boingo models.

It always surprises me at how much people expect things to be free these days. Downtown San Diego parking spaces are NOT cheap. This is being built in a car park, so there is no “extra” revenue that is going to accrue to the car park owner. This is probably the best that Tesla could do without paying a huge amount of rent per stall. And it has the bonus effect of ensuring that only people that need the charge will use it. Otherwise, it’d be San Juan Capistrano all over again with locals hanging out in their cars all the time.

And Superchargers are really, really expensive. Comparing them to a Wifi hotspot is ridiculous. They are at least 100 times as expensive!

I am personally glad that Tesla is continuing to take Supercharger build outs seriously. It would have been so easy for them to slow down construction and let the sites get overcrowded.

It always surprises me at how much people expect things to be free these days. Downtown San Diego parking spaces are NOT cheap. This is being built in a car park, so there is no “extra” revenue that is going to accrue to the car park owner. This is probably the best that Tesla could do without paying a huge amount of rent per stall. And it has the bonus effect of ensuring that only people that need the charge will use it. Otherwise, it’d be San Juan Capistrano all over again with locals hanging out in their cars all the time.

*probably* the best Tesla could do, yes. The Southwest Region buildout has been one of the worst in the country and you can't blame the cost of real estate for all of it. Not even most of it.

To wit, San Juan Capistrano was exacerbated first and foremost by Tesla having only one SC in the most owner-dense county on the continent for YEARS. The bottleneck is still not adequately addressed, and won't be until North (San Diego) County and addtional OC SCs are brought online.

And Superchargers are really, really expensive. Comparing them to a Wifi hotspot is ridiculous. They are at least 100 times as expensive!

Gosh - good thing those SCs are subsidized by $75K - $175K car sales and, up until recently, ZEV credits for the ENTIRE cost.

Oh, and the Dieselgate money due California *alone* dwarfs Tesla's global SC network cost, btw. At $250K/SC, $800M buys 2400 SCs. Tesla has only 500-ish on the entire continent. While not penny one of Dieselgate proceeds will go toward an SC, all of it will go toward charging and maintenance and that's a boatload of L2 and L3 chargers. So, again, the point is that ALL Model 3s will pay for charging - they will charge where it is cheapest and not necessarily where it is fastest. Parking fees will reduce demand, sure - but it's a limited end game, and Tesla knows this.

I am personally glad that Tesla is continuing to take Supercharger build outs seriously. It would have been so easy for them to slow down construction and let the sites get overcrowded.

Not so easy or even remotely good business sense at all, actually. It would be foolish to fritter away their highest and best competitive advantage after working for years to establish it - that being their global infrastructure and almost insurmountable lead therewith - for at least a few more years if not *much* longer.

The urban infill is the next logical step, especially given how far behind municipal buildouts and MDU retrofits are. Can't put a Kettleman in the Marina District. Although a floating SC plaza somewhere? Hey, it could happen. Probably in Dubai before San Diego Bay, but still.

I just came back to the forum after making the initial post about the permit. Wow! I'm shocked this made it to a new post! ha! Thank you, @Cosmacelf for finding the permit details on Open DSD. I was really afraid to mention anything without having more concrete information. So, thanks for confirming!

I'm still a bit curious as to how they plan on installing the stalls inside the parking garage... I've never been to a SC within a paid garage so, will we have to pay to park? :-/ Hmmm.... Regardless, I'm thankful to see another SC in the area.