Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Logical, but apparently the ADA space needs to be on "level" ground, and
that second space is sloped too much to qualify.

Perhaps the "Electric Vehicle Only" is for Volts or ... whatever?

If Opening Day is tomorrow, that would mean testing of each arch today?

Or, perhaps "commissioning" of the site means testing of each arch?

Last edited:
I thought only the farthest apace to the left had too much slope not to qualify for ADA space, not the second! But if that is the case, just keep everything as is and just attach a longer charging chord to the second stall so the car that backs into the second space from left can plug in without having to park on dashed lines! The problem with that is that the ADA apace driver will not benefit from dashed lines and will have not have extra room to get out of the car if ADA space is kept as is right now.

If you see somebody pulling into the HC charging space, you could walk over
and offer to plug in the charge cable from the arch.

Likewise, if the car parked in the HC space is honking and flashing its lights,
it might be trying to get someone to help unplug and return the cable to the arch.

A HC person could be waiting for the charge to finish, and another car pulls in to
block the driver's door, so the HC individual cannot get out to unplug and leave.

If I was more than just mentally and emotionally "challenged", I would certainly
appreciate the help, especially when blocked by the adjacent car, or it was raining.

Who knows, that one good deed could be THE ONE that finally keeps you from
going to the "other" place.

This may be a very stupid idea but what If Tesla attached a longer charging cable to the second stall from the left and moved the ADA space to second space from left instead of third! Then a car with disabled placard can back into second space from left, and plug into the second charger with longer cable and still have their driver door next to the stripped lines in order to have lots of room to get out of the car! Problem solved! So, just a longer charging cable for the second stand from left and moving the ADA space to left by one space, solves all the issues here. Is that not logical?
Too logical for the current workers on this project

How about leveling the far left parking spot by adding some asphalt and re-steam rolling? Then just restripe and curve the HC walkway! Please don't tear up a charging pedestal. Please... Please keep this as simple as possible! KISS.... Keep It Simple ....Silly!

If you see somebody pulling into the HC charging space, you could walk over
and offer to plug in the charge cable from the arch.

Likewise, if the car parked in the HC space is honking and flashing its lights,
it might be trying to get someone to help unplug and return the cable to the arch.

A HC person could be waiting for the charge to finish, and another car pulls in to
block the driver's door, so the HC individual cannot get out to unplug and leave.

If I was more than just mentally and emotionally "challenged", I would certainly
appreciate the help, especially when blocked by the adjacent car, or it was raining.

Who knows, that one good deed could be THE ONE that finally keeps you from
going to the "other" place.

It's important that the hatched buffer area be on the driver side, anyway, though, so a disabled driver can get out of the car. If it's a passenger that's disabled, there's some flexibility. (For instance, the passenger could be unloaded in one of the other ADA spaces, and then the car could be moved to the charger.) But there's a lot less flexibility if it's the driver that's disabled.

I guess they might not have to get out the car, if there's someone to plug them in. But it would surely be important to be able to, especially if nature calls!

If all of the SC stalls (except for HC stall) are occupied will it be acceptable/legal to use the HC stall until an ADA person pulls up?

No, it certainly wouldn't be legal, the way it's marked now. If you're there for just the time it takes to charge, and you stay with your car, your chances of getting a ticket are probably low. Then again, anyone in those offices overlooking the supercharger could rat you out.

So, Mark, do you get the impression that anyone at Tesla understands how screwed up this relatively simple SuperCharger construction project has turned out? Is anyone in charge really paying attention? Or are they truly incompetent?

And why, why, are there three parking spaces marked "Electric Vehicle Only" that do not have any chargers? What's the point of that? Shouldn't some of the Supercharger stalls have that marking?

If the signage is done properly in the HC space, it should make it clear that
the HC space is the last to be used, but then it is OK to use the space.

But, if you use it, and minutes later another car leaves, would you
be in danger of getting a ticket?

Maybe you try to move to the open spot, but by the time you almost get there,
another car pulls into the spot, so you head back around to the HC slot,
and another car beats you again... intense frustration.

However, the HC slot can never be the last slot, since the one to its left
can never be used legally, the way it is now. So, maybe it is effectively
just a 10-slot facility for now. That is a lot better than no slots.

So, Mark, do you get the impression that anyone at Tesla understands how screwed up this relatively simple SuperCharger construction project has turned out? Is anyone in charge really paying attention? Or are they truly incompetent?

My impression is that they did take my comments seriously, yesterday. There were about half a dozen people having a conference at the location, soon afterward, and they were pointing at the markings and pulling the charging cable over toward the space where it's supposed to go. Then a little later there were three people out there with a level, checking the slope of the asphalt. Today, there were some people out there, one in an orange vest, pointing at the markings, and I think one of them made some chalk marks on the ground.

And why, why, are there three parking spaces marked "Electric Vehicle Only" that do not have any chargers? What's the point of that? Shouldn't some of the Supercharger stalls have that marking?

My assumption is that these are for standby, if the supercharger is full. The supercharger stalls already have red Tesla signs that state the restrictions. Half, included the ADA space, are for charging only, and the other half allow 30 minute general parking.

So, if half are ICEd (the 30 minutes general-parking), and 2 of the remaining 6 are illegal to use,
that brings 12 slots down to just 4 usable, which are very likely to be severely congested.

Better would be to make the 3 EV only parking slots into 30 minute parking, and free up
3 of the 6 general-parking/tesla-charging spots to become tesla-charging only.

I agree, there's no plan for that, from what I've heard.

Knowing Qualcomm, I just assumed that there would be some J1772's there also. Of course, a few 30-Amp L2's could easily come from power in one of the neighboring buildings.

At Rancho Cucamonga, they have a 75kVA, 480V-to-208V transformer next to the equipment enclosure, just to drive the L2 EVSE's there. I was surprised to see a transformer that large there for 2 or 3 30-Amp L2's.

Cottonwood, the power for this SC install comes across the street and is not hosted by Qualcomm. I have no idea where the power panel is for the building, but it could be a long ways away from those parking spaces, which is what would be required for Qualcomm to host L2 and Chademo-type units...

I know that the transformer for the building is fairly close, on the opposite side of the loading dock from the supercharger cabinets. I think the power panel is inside the building, near the transformer. But I've heard there are no current plans to add L2 chargers.