Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest I've heard is that the parking lot will still be closed this weekend, and they don't intend to open it up until the issue with the cable reaching the stall is addressed. It didn't sound like they had actually decided on a plan, yet, either.

Too bad... Was really hoping to charge here. I wonder if the one? stall that has the bad layout / cable length problem could be somehow cordoned off, while the functional stalls could be opened? So tantalizing close...

Randall

I just stopped by to try to charge (wanted to be the first!) and it was still closed to all but construction traffic. There were some guys finishing up in the area (not with Telsa or SDGE) that said they saw a car plugged in today. With the holiday weekend I doubt we will see much action on the project until next week.

That was probably the company car that they were using for testing.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad... Was really hoping to charge here. I wonder if the one? stall that has the bad layout / cable length problem could be somehow cordoned off, while the functional stalls could be opened? So tantalizing close...

Randall

Yeah, I don't see any reason that they couldn't just block that one space for now. They will need to block off more when it actually comes time to repaint, or whatever they need to do, of course. But in the meantime, let us charge, please!

Well, we are heading out right now from Tempe, AZ. Looks like I wont be able to charge tonight when I pass by around 11 PM ish. Too bad :(. Thanks to those who gave us some advice! Will check back just in case there is some late night report of a miracle.

Randall

Level far left stall, re-stripe, re-decal HC, curve walkway. Turn on. Done! Absolutely no to moving a pedestal or putting in longer cables!! I'm bringing a level with me when I visit this location. Is it really that far out of level that this simple fix wouldn't work? As a tesla parks in the far left stall, backwards, ... Ok.. The right two tires and area need to be raised a little. How much to make it level enough to pass ADA requirements. I have had my fully handicap nephew in law with me, wheelchair and all....! The primary reason for HC spaces is to have the vehicle close enough, and yes, level enough make loading-unloading as easy as possible. I just can't see tearing up this now beautiful site when such a quick easy fix SEEMS possible! rrrrrgh! OK.... I've said it twice...

I swung by the site this evening and took these photos just after 9pm.

IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG

As evidenced by the lighted logos, the pedestals are powered, but the parking lot remains inaccessible to vehicles. The perimeter has caution tape strung along the sidewalk, and I was able to walk in to take the shot back toward the road. There are heavy chain link gates blocking vehicular access to what I assume is now a powered Supercharger.

You know, I would easily give Tesla a pass for not opening this before Memorial weekend if this was an issue even slightly out of their control. But this parking space striping issue (and all the other construction screw ups on this Supercharger) are COMPLETELY Tesla's fault. You can say the subcontractor made the mistake, but who hired the idiot subcontractor? Who supervised them?

And why is it that only San Diego gets the crappy supervision and implementation (San Juan Capistrano was late by almost a year)? Other Supercharger sites seem to get installed without a hitch.

I swung by the site this evening and took these photos just after 9pm.

View attachment 81826View attachment 81827

As evidenced by the lighted logos, the pedestals are powered, but the parking lot remains inaccessible to vehicles. The perimeter has caution tape strung along the sidewalk, and I was able to walk in to take the shot back toward the road. There are heavy chain link gates blocking vehicular access to what I assume is now a powered Supercharger.

Omg. So close. We just pulled into el Centro for the long charge. If someone from Tesla and decision power could just open it, say at around 11:30 pm... We'd be there ... Happy and thankful Tesla owners.

Pl
You know, I would easily give Tesla a pass for not opening this before Memorial weekend if this was an issue even slightly out of their control. But this parking space striping issue (and all the other construction screw ups on this Supercharger) are COMPLETELY Tesla's fault. You can say the subcontractor made the mistake, but who hired the idiot subcontractor? Who supervised them?

And why is it that only San Diego gets the crappy supervision and implementation (San Juan Capistrano was late by almost a year)? Other Supercharger sites seem to get installed without a hitch.

This error falls squarely on city permitting and plan check. This should have be caught before a shovel was even in the ground

Well we arrived in Carlsbad... no charging at this "almost open" SC site though - we straight through from El Centro starting with 235 RM. Arrived at hotel with 56 RM left (used 179 RM - a bit better than the 182 predicted by EV trip planner, but I drove more conservatively).

Hotel actually has a L2 charger, but it is being used by a Leaf overnight.

It would be nice if the SC is open Sunday, when we drive back :)

San Diego SuperCharger

Randall

I wonder what the real story is here. Imean, Tesla Motors does most things in record time so what gives with the SD SC!?!

And who gave Tesla money to be able to build this? Those are at fault.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess my prediction on Post #199 for the 23rd is off..... oh well.

Hotel actually has a L2 charger, but it is being used by a Leaf overnight.
The Leaf will only take 4-6 hours to fully charge from empty, so maybe you can move the plug to your car late at night.

This is how to read a Leaf's charging status (from How to Tell if an EV is Finished Charging . . .

Decoding Leaf's triple light set:
  • One flashing light 0-33%
  • One solid, one flashing - 33% to 66%
  • Two solid, one flashing - 66% to 100%
  • Three solid - 100%
  • All lights off - 100%

I went by Sorrento Mesa/Valley and took some night shots. Note that the second pedestal 1B has no charge cable whereas all others have the standard length cable. I would not be surprised if they are waiting for an extra length cable for the second pedestal before opening. Much better lit than SJC.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited: