Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And it is also live on the Tesla Supercharger page. Interesting that they say there are two J1772 chargers on site as well.

Here's the direct link:

San Diego Supercharger | Tesla Motors

There are several things on that page that don't seem correct to me:

• Address: The closest building is 10105. 10155 is at the opposite end of the parking lot.
  • WiFi: Password protected. I don't know if you can get access from the receptionist at 10105, but you'll surely be out of luck outside of business hours.
  • Restrooms: I think you'll only be able to get into the Qualcomm restrooms (at 10105) during business hours. And I don't think Armando's even has restrooms available to their own customers.
  • Armando's hours: I didn't know they were open 24/7. Google and Yelp seem to have conflicting info on their hours, but best case they are not open on Sunday and have limited Saturday hours.

So now that it's open, phew, is there anything in the walking vicinity? I am coming by at 4:30ish today to charge up for a trip tomorrow to OC, but am curious if there's anything for us non-Qualcommers to do for 30-60 min besides this taco shop? Thought I heard once that there's a reflexology place nearby? anyone have any good neighborhood tips?

So now that it's open, phew, is there anything in the walking vicinity? I am coming by at 4:30ish today to charge up for a trip tomorrow to OC, but am curious if there's anything for us non-Qualcommers to do for 30-60 min besides this taco shop? Thought I heard once that there's a reflexology place nearby? anyone have any good neighborhood tips?

There is a list of restaurants on the Tesla site:

San Diego Supercharger | Tesla Motors

The restaurants that are currently listed are all in the same strip mall as the taco shop. They're all just OK, IMO.

Chili's is in walking distance. It's at the corner of Lusk and Mira Mesa. You can walk more or less in a straight line from the supercharger and cut through parking lots on the interior of the block to save some time.

The Hyatt House (very close, 10044 Pacific Mesa Blvd) has a bar/restaurant, open 4pm-10:30pm. I haven't been there since the hotel changed ownership. Here's the website: H Bar

I charged there yesterday along with at least five other Teslas (and a sixth was pulling away when I was arriving.) If you were there and saw a blue 85D from AZ it was mine. My girlfriend and I walked to Chili's; the walk wasn't bad and overall it took us about as much time to walk and eat as it did to finish charging.

It does seem like kind of an odd place for a supercharger in the Qualcomm parking lot. I felt like we were getting a lot of stares from the Qualcomm employees.

Just got back from 2824 mile trip to Denver and Moab and had to top off at Sorrento Valley as I cleaned the car (never has been so dirty)
image.jpg

San Diego Sorrento Valley already ICEd
image.jpg

The point is, this person has set a precedence for others parking in a Tesla spot. I doubt if he/she nor any other non-Tesla owner realizes that particular spot is inoperable. Especially when there were plenty of other non charging spots opened. We'll see how this plays out.

Tesla signs say "parking" at most superchargers. I don't know why. Local ordinance? I imagine this will evolve over time. It would be best for the signs to say "Tesla charging only. No parking." But some spots allow limited parking as well, so it starts getting fuzzy. And the vehicle code definition of parking certainly covers what people do when charging (in most cases).

My own opinion on the parking/charging issue is that Tesla has an easier time of reaching an agreement for the SC space if they aren't so specific about the spaces being held out for Tesla charging only. Look at the Buellton signs at the Marriott property that allow non EV parking...Tesla probably wouldn't have been able to sign that agreement as readily if all spots were only for Tesla charging...