Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case there is still any doubt.
20150409_184026.jpg
20150409_184009.jpg
20150409_183952.jpg

I wonder why they put the SCs back on the truck today? I gotta say this SC construction has been going really, really slow. Kinda reminiscent of SJC.

I don't know. Maybe there's something wrong with the superchargers, and they need to be replaced? Or maybe there's something wrong with the placement of the conduit, and they have to fix it before installing the superchargers? If it's the latter, though, why not leave the superchargers on site? It's not like someone is going to walk away with them. I can't make much sense of it.

on April 21 I'm heading to San Diego from the Bay Area and it doesn't look like the SC will be up and running. I will charge at San Juan Capistrano and then travel to San Marcos, Carlsbad, and down to Coronado. This is my first trip so I've never charged at any location other than home or a SC. So I can make it back to San Juan Capistrano where's the best place to charge, I have Blink and ChargePoint. My initial thought was to go the San Diego Service Center. Any help would be appreciated.
If you aren't there at a busy time, you can charge at a HPWC at the UTC mall, east parking garage, first level closest to the stores. There's usually 1-2 slots there available for Teslas if you aren't there at lunchtime or dinnertime. As a bonus you can browse around the mall while you are charging. The SDSC doesn't have a whole lot to do around it.

If you aren't there at a busy time, you can charge at a HPWC at the UTC mall, east parking garage, first level closest to the stores. There's usually 1-2 slots there available for Teslas if you aren't there at lunchtime or dinnertime. As a bonus you can browse around the mall while you are charging. The SDSC doesn't have a whole lot to do around it.

The SDSC does have a couple of breweries within a 10 minute walk, but not much else...on the other hand they have a LOT of HPWC's.

Anyways, latest update is that they are at the same point they were last Thursday. They spent Thursday unloading and reloading a truck with Supercharger equipment. They spent Friday ripping out concrete that they had just poured a few days prior. They took Monday off. They spend today, Tuesday, repouring the concrete they tore out Friday. Somewhere in there, they presumably fixed some conduit problem. Oh, and today they also tore out the landscaping they had previously planted where the actual stalls are going to go.

So far I'm less than impressed by this Supercharger installation crew.

It's now been over four months for this supercharger, this must be the same crew that did San Juan Capistrano!

Wasn't the big delay getting the electricity hooked up at SJC?

Anyway, whatever the crew screwed up, it only has cost a few days. The big delay was when the supercharger crew had to stop to allow the parking lot construction to complete. This is the first supercharger that I know of that it being built as part of a larger construction project, so the schedule has been dictated by the larger project.

As of yesterday, the UTC location has stopped letting its customer charge at this location. They said they had too many new showroom cars that need to get charged and they were taking both of the charger. They are now directing all customers to the Trade Place location.

Wasn't the big delay getting the electricity hooked up at SJC?

Anyway, whatever the crew screwed up, it only has cost a few days. The big delay was when the supercharger crew had to stop to allow the parking lot construction to complete. This is the first supercharger that I know of that it being built as part of a larger construction project, so the schedule has been dictated by the larger project.

Yes, SJC delay was due to getting power there. You can't fault the construction crew for that, but you can question the project manager for letting that issue stall the SC for so long.

At this site, shouldn't the project manager have inspected the conduits before they poured concrete?

Quick update from this morning. They have the Supercharger cabinets back on site, and it looks like the cabinets are having a meeting:

11154637_10153273525543478_8777306199038118698_o.jpg

And they are putting in pull ropes into the conduits.

11157350_10153273526053478_5407581954045963910_o.jpg

So, unless there are other issues, I'm hoping for pedestal installation next week, as well as wire pulls. Should be ready for a transformer week after next...