Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Fernando, CA - Celis Street (LIVE 15 May 2021, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a bit hard to tell with the perspective, but the pedestals look like they may be closely spaced so as to serve spaces from either side, alternating. There have been a number of locations set up that way.

Interesting, if so. A way to have a vehicle charging and a staging spot for the next car to charger when a location experiences high volume and "line of cars waiting".

Reactions: bobby g
Interesting, if so. A way to have a vehicle charging and a staging spot for the next car to charger when a location experiences high volume and "line of cars waiting".

I didn't mean that there'd be empty spaces in between, just a row of chargers serving spaces from both sides. Cars would back in from both sides, and each car would use the pedestal closest to its left-rear corner; this would result in the row of chargers alternating between the two sides. In the photo, there are what look like signposts every two pedestals; those will probably used for double-sided signs marking spaces from both sides. Like this setup at Granada Hills, only all in line and more equally spaced: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/img_20201113_155808-jpg.608127/

I didn't mean that there'd be empty spaces in between, just a row of chargers serving spaces from both sides. Cars would back in from both sides, and each car would use the pedestal closest to its left-rear corner; this would result in the row of chargers alternating between the two sides. In the photo, there are what look like signposts every two pedestals; those will probably used for double-sided signs marking spaces from both sides. Like this setup at Granada Hills, only all in line and more equally spaced: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/img_20201113_155808-jpg.608127/
I was going to disagree with you, as the pedestals seem to be at normal spacing when compared to other sites, but then I saw the plans on the first page of this thread. it looks like they intend to keep the original diagonal parking for this site. Very strange when you think about it. Backing in diagonally may prove quite awkward for many average drivers.

I was going to disagree with you, as the pedestals seem to be at normal spacing when compared to other sites, but then I saw the plans on the first page of this thread. it looks like they intend to keep the original diagonal parking for this site. Very strange when you think about it. Backing in diagonally may prove quite awkward for many average drivers.

I had forgotten that we had a plan posted for this one! Looks like the rows may have been too tight to convert to perpendicular parking. The diagonal spaces would explain why the pedestals looked a bit far apart.

One of the early SpC's had diagonal parking (back in - not in a parking lot but on the road)). But after backing in, you were facing opposite direction of the traffic to pull out. Very challenging getting in and out.. Can't remember (Oregon, Washington State...???).

Despite the lame opposition by a well-known developer in the area, the reality is this lot is rarely busy. in fact it's often mostly empty. So exiting the back-in spots against traffic shouldn't be an issue.

Backing into the spots might be another story. I wouldn't be surprised to see these getting backed into regularly. I also expect to see drivers backing straight in and crossing the diagonal spot marking lines...

It will really depend on how busy this spot gets. Time will tell.

Not the San Fernando I was hoping for. I was thinking of the one in the Valley.

Yup, City of San Fernando, northeast corner of the San Fernando Valley

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-073042_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-073042_Maps.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Informative
Reactions: Misterbee
20210222_104510_resized.jpg
20210222_104514_resized.jpg
20210222_104529_resized.jpg
20210222_104541_resized.jpg
20210222_104617_resized.jpg
20210222_104628_resized.jpg
20210222_104636_resized.jpg

Fences are down.
As you can see in the pics, no transformer yet.

I had a lovely conversation with the group of gentlemen reviewing the site. One each from; Tesla, the contractor and the city of San Fernando.

They said they are just waiting for So. Cal. Edison to install the transformer, but don't have a schedule from them.

The Tesla guy said the City was a pleasure to work with and that he hopes to build another Supercharger on the east side of San Fernando in the future. He also mentioned that he oversees more than 30 Supercharger projects in Southern California.

View attachment 638945 View attachment 638947 View attachment 638948 View attachment 638949 View attachment 638950 View attachment 638951 View attachment 638952

Fences are down.
As you can see in the pics, no transformer yet.

I had a lovely conversation with the group of gentlemen reviewing the site. One each from; Tesla, the contractor and the city of San Fernando.

They said they are just waiting for So. Cal. Edison to install the transformer, but don't have a schedule from them.

The Tesla guy said the City was a pleasure to work with and that he hopes to build another Supercharger on the east side of San Fernando in the future. He also mentioned that he oversees more than 30 Supercharger projects in Southern California.
Nice work! Rarely are they so forthcoming. I would love to have heard about any other new sites coming up.

I tell you though, this back-in diagonal parking is going to be a complete fail. I see plenty of minor accidents happening. Most people here are passionate enough to know better on how to avoid this. Others, not so much.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I forgot to mention; the spots along the street with empty signposts, including the handicapped spot will get "destination" chargers. All will be for actively charging vehicles only with "all others towed". There are already signs to this effect at the ends of the isle, but I forgot to get a pic of that.

Nice work! Rarely are they so forthcoming. I would love to have heard about any other new sites coming up.

I tell you though, this back-in diagonal parking is going to be a complete fail. I see plenty of minor accidents happening. Most people here are passionate enough to know better on how to avoid this. Others, not so much.

I couldn't agree more! The Tesla rep said that due to the small size of the lot, there was not way to re-configure (isles would be too narrow, I believe).

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Not the San Fernando I was hoping for. I was thinking of the one in the Valley.
So I'm curious.... I grew up here in valley, when you mean "Not the San Fernando I was hoping for. I was thinking of the one in the Valley."

So which SF city or SF were YOU thinking of?? :p

And BTW.."he hopes to build another Supercharger on the east side of San Fernando in the future"

That's awesome!! There were rumors years ago that up here in Sylmar, a SpC station was going to go in near Fresh&Easy.

Ohhh well