Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Jose, CA - Cherry Avenue (LIVE 21 Dec 2018, 24 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 347379
Transformer installed and picture of how the buck/boost transformers are connected to controller.
Oooh wee ... that is, uh, suboptimal. I am 100% all in favor of them doing this once or a handful of times, to prove it can be done, and measure its effectiveness, but to me, it seems like this is screaming for a design upgrade to get the bucks someplace good. As an iterative upgrade, I would say at least doing something that doesn't require a huge amount of conduit and cable; I assumed before that they'd just use a 6" nipple. I was sure wrong! And, it seems to me they should redesign the interior of the inverter cabinet to make certain that it does the following: 1: offer a clear path for the wires going into the buck, THROUGH the cabinet as a chase or in a chase in the cabinet, or in the very least, specifying a location to put a conduit in the cabinet (!); 2: a nipple to the buck at the top of the inverter, and 3: have the input from the buck be close to the top of the inverter so cables don't have to travel far then.

I can see why integrating a buck in the bottom of a cabinet would be bad: more heat to the inverters. But, if the electromagnetic fields created by bottom-mounted bucks are ok and the heating to inverters isn't excessive, then they can just wire to the buck from the ground conduits, then from there to the inverters as they already are. The design enhancement for that seems easy: another stand to put the buck into, upon which the cabinet would rest, but of course, that stand would cost money, and there would be a difficulty of lifting the inverter cabinet into place without crushing a worker (probably pretty easy if the stand allowed for easy alignment without excess pinch and crush points), and bad access to the inverter for work (that's the real show-stopper, and why I think bucks on bottoms are bad), and earthquake safety for an inverter riding a buck would be much worse. I wonder if there's a better way to mount bucks on or near switches.

Or, here's an idea: integrate bucking into inverting. I don't know the most efficient way to do it. Maybe this is it, and they just have to do some physical layout enhancement!
That is hilarious how they put the buck/boost on top of the Supercharger cabinet and put that huge conduit with two elbows on it. However, it is space efficient and doesn't use much extra cable. They had previously racked these up and put them inline between the distribution cabinets and the Supercharger cabinets.
That's a good point: the above massive elbows might actually be cheaper than or similar cost to the racks, and not use much more or even less wire than the racks. Obviously, the vertical use of space was the benefit, and one I imagine Tesla will continue being interested in.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Love the Governor Moonbeam reference... no jail time for property crimes in CA :cool:

9f39733f-3a27-40eb-acfc-2396c58da773-jpeg.344255
On that note, do heed that warning.

A few weeks back, I came out of the Panda Express in that area and spotted glass on the ground. I looked up a Ford parked within view of the Panda Express w/its rear window smashed --> glass on the ground.

No idea when it happened but even though it was dark, the shades at the Panda Express were pulled down. So, it's possible it happened when nobody inside Panda could see it due to the shades nor keep an eye on their own car.

Any idea if there will be any free J1772 EVSEs? I totally forgot about this thread until now, otherwise, I'd have poked around there. Six of the eight free J1772 EVSEs a few miles away at the water district have now been designated for their employees only, so their codes (they have Liberty access keypads) have been removed. Only two are for the public now. :(

Last edited:
Are you kidding me!?
It's likely a condition of being able to install them at all. Commercial (and many multi-unit residential) buildings are required by local planning/zoning rules to have X# of general use parking stalls / Y amount sq.ft. There's a set formula. The commercial builders would like to build buildings with the absolute maximum of store square footage possible on a given acreage because that will maximize the revenue generating potential of the site. This means that they usually don't have any "free" parking spaces to eliminate without getting approval from the local planning/zoning boards. If those boards are unwilling to provide waivers, then they can't put in dedicated stalls. Usually the boards will okay some minor limit like "general parking for 30 minutes only" to maintain the fiction that they aren't losing any parking stalls. But not always. I guarantee you that if they went with this set up, it was because they had the choice of do it this way or don't do it at all.

Take what you can get. With 24 stalls there should be a high enough turn over that even with some ICEing it shouldn't be terrible**. But yes, just be prepared that it is going to happen.

**Note: this excludes the period of time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when many sites in mall parking lots are going to be more or less perpetually ICEd. During that period of the year, plan to only use them outside of store hours.

• Informative
Reactions: planx
It's likely a condition of being able to install them at all. Commercial (and many multi-unit residential) buildings are required by local planning/zoning rules to have X# of general use parking stalls / Y amount sq.ft. There's a set formula. The commercial builders would like to build buildings with the absolute maximum of store square footage possible on a given acreage because that will maximize the revenue generating potential of the site. This means that they usually don't have any "free" parking spaces to eliminate without getting approval from the local planning/zoning boards. If those boards are unwilling to provide waivers, then they can't put in dedicated stalls. Usually the boards will okay some minor limit like "general parking for 30 minutes only" to maintain the fiction that they aren't losing any parking stalls. But not always. I guarantee you that if they went with this set up, it was because they had the choice of do it this way or don't do it at all.

Take what you can get. With 24 stalls there should be a high enough turn over that even with some ICEing it shouldn't be terrible**. But yes, just be prepared that it is going to happen.

**Note: this excludes the period of time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when many sites in mall parking lots are going to be more or less perpetually ICEd. During that period of the year, plan to only use them outside of store hours.

Well, then there's an obvious legislative issue here. Any electric charging stations should be exempt to these rules and get such waivers. And yet still: there are quite a lot of Targets around Tesla shouldn't set up chargers at these locations at all.

At this location, charging stall occupancy information will not be reliable. Not completely unmanageable as there are quite some chargers around in that area, but still.

Thanks for the detailed explanation regardless.

Almost the same photos as Ulmo.
At least you still have a Tesla car. I only sport the PowerWalls right now :oops:
Well... Ulmo did get up 5+ hours earlier than you. :p
By necessity. Signing up for potential work. I added two other errands to the trip (to save driving, time, and cost). That drive was AWFUL: even inside my car the air quality was TERRIBLE due to the fire pollution. I totally missed having my Bioweapon Defense Mode from my Model S. Apparently, the whole drive home was terrible, and the only clearer skies were the hill where I live, but still not great. Same thing today. California is having terrible pollution this month.

Last edited:
Drove by the other day. Nothing been done in quite a while, curious what the holdup is now...
Same thing it pretty much always is at this point of an install. Utility connection and transformer. And any additional work looks like it would be taking place behind the fence/screen so you'll have trouble identifying whether anything has changed by just looking at the site.