Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Ramon, CA - Diablo Plaza (LIVE 5 Apr 2019, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by today after work to see how it was going. We had some rain off and on this week so I wasn't sure they would have done much. Looks like the trenching for the pedestals was completed and they have been placing the cement bases. They were just picking up another to put it in place while I was there. Also the green cabinet for the transformer was being worked on.
IMG_20190111_133834.jpg
IMG_20190111_133730.jpg

Went by yesterday - Saturday the 26th - to take a look. The construction phase appears almost done. All 20 of the Urban pedestals are in place, 5 charger cabinets at one end, 5 more at the other end, the boost / buck transformers (10) are in place, switching stuff there. It still needs the lines to be painted. And of course the PG&E transformer is not on site yet.

Interestingly at this one it looks like they almost got away without leaving any spots for general parking. They just went over the limit for the number of spaces they could reserve for charging though so two of the twenty are designated for general parking while eighteen are marked for EV charging only. I've only been to 28 Super Chargers, but the phrasing on the signs is new to me. The 18 charging only ones now require that you be plugged in and charging:

"Electric Vehicle Parking Only While Charging"

The general parking ones try to get people not to park there by saying that EVs have "priority":

"Electric Vehicle Priority 60 Minute General Parking"

The pictures show both sign types. In the photos, there is one where you can see 14 pedestals along the back and just 1 pedestal around the corner (near the green tractor) - there are another 5 around that way that didn't fit in the shot.

IMG_20190126_094759.jpg IMG_20190126_094831.jpg MVIMG_20190126_094606.jpg MVIMG_20190126_094555.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
I wouldn't be surprised if Pavlo's Pizza complained that none of those parking spots were going to be usable for their patrons if they were marked as "Tesla charging only" spaces. A lot of Pavlo's business is little league/soccer/swim teams, birthday parties, and other big groups. This takes away ALL of their convenient parking (see image - red arrow is Pavlo's, blue area are the Tesla spaces and transformers. No parking at all to the right of the building - vehicle in pic is probably driving). It'll be interesting to see what happens.

upload_2019-2-12_16-50-9.png

Now that is interesting - from your photos we can see that the signage was removed. I wonder if the new text that was there (seen in the photos and my post from above) was not approved by the city or something? Because the red Tesla charging signs were all in place before.

I live in the immediate neighborhood and I also noticed the signs had been removed. There has been a lot of chatter on Next Door about the poor location, so I'm wondering if the planning staff is trying to work out a compromise. Originally there were two parking places designated for shared parking, but those signs are down also. I talked to the Mayor about it, and he said he would check into it, but I haven't heard back. I charge at home, but there are a couple of Teslas in local condo complexes that don't have that alternative because they don't have garages. I was also told there are Tesla chargers at the new San Ramon City Center. I haven't seen them.

Apologies, my drawing above is not correct AT ALL. Turns out there are 14 open spaces (incl. 1 handicap) on the long side, then 14 charging spaces, and 6 charging spaces on the short side. Sorry for the mis-information. Something more like this (red arrow is Pavlo's):

upload_2019-2-15_9-57-59.png

Reactions: MarcoRP