Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't this problem be solved (at least as far as inconsiderate Supercharger stall hogs) with the Supercharger bays having two lights: green, meaning no charging is taking place and the stall is putatively available, and red, indicating active charging is taking place and the owner isn't being a lout.

Reactions: RobertF
Wouldn't this problem be solved (at least as far as inconsiderate Supercharger stall hogs) with the Supercharger bays having two lights: green, meaning no charging is taking place and the stall is putatively available, and red, indicating active charging is taking place and the owner isn't being a lout.
Or vice versa: Green is charging, red is done. Anyway, this was discussed extensively on the FV thread (I think) with fairly universal praise. I strongly feel that if everyone is made aware of the charging status of a car, everyone would be much more careful of leaving their cars unattended when done. Now, instead of retrofitting SC equipment with lights, it could be a color indicator on the charging port. Very easy to do with software.

Reactions: RobertF
This setup prevents ICEing. Some are pull through. Others are back-in. Even though it's busy, it's I've never seen a wait. Or ICEing except Christmas right after installation. I have taken many friends for a supercharger there or Hawthorne. Least desirable spots on the entire mall property.

Parking_Lot_striping_Culver_City_Tesla_Motors_(15).jpg

I've been there. I like the fact they colored it red. Makes it look cool and nice. Having the mall and food court near by was a plus.

I have yet to be at a supercharger spot longer than the time needed to charge. I was there a year ago and moved my car after it finish charging to a normal parking spot and went back to the mall to continue eating ahahah

Reactions: callmesam
Taken 20 minutes ago, looks like good progress on the supercharger. The supercharger cabinets are in place, the enclosure seems to be in progress, and the transformer pad concrete has been poured. And some other things that I can't identify ;) And the red beam sticking out of the ground, I have no idea what that's for.

P8axw6N.jpg

Jgkarma.jpg

rzQGYkE.jpg

dQWb86x.jpg

ohqnM8y.jpg

Last edited:
Taken 20 minutes ago, looks like good progress on the supercharger. The supercharger cabinets are in place, the enclosure seems to be in progress, and the transformer pad concrete has been poured. And some other things that I can't identify ;) And the red beam sticking out of the ground, I have no idea what that's for.
Giant rotating Tesla sign? :p

Great pics, btw. I'm also curious if others can describe/dissect the various components.

My wag is solar roof posts.
That's what I initially thought but the column was way too tall to be part of a canopy. I was on the 2nd floor and it looked like it extended up to the third floor. Also, there's only one column and it doesn't look like there's another one going up anywhere nearby.

MoKgtgQ.jpg

This is what the column spot looked like when I took this photo a few weeks ago. I was thinking that was where the stationary storage was going to go but I guess not.

• Informative
Reactions: rfmurphy81
DJung, your pics of those huge non-Tesla like footings with those two very tall red columns and heavy duty box with 4 feet for 4 sets of anchor bolts look like they are at the corner of 33º46'40.05"N 117º52'14.41"W (I matched the freeway signs and angles, and other stuff), whereas the Tesla SuperCharger is at 33º46'33.18"N 117º52'19.88"W (I matched the stores and angles, and other stuff), about a thousand feet away on the other side of two big parking structures. I don't think those big footings are related to the SuperCharger at all. Nothing in the very un-Tesla like big footings is described in the original poster's copy of the application, and everything in the rest of the SuperCharger pictures matches the original application, and everything in that application is in all of those other photos of that other area of the mall.

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 11.10.09 PM edited.png

Last edited:
DJung, your pics of those huge non-Tesla like footings with those two very tall red columns and heavy duty box with anchors look like they are at the corner of 33º46'40.05"N 117º52'14.41"W (I matched the freeway signs and angles, and other stuff), whereas the Tesla SuperCharger is at 33º46'33.18"N 117º52'19.88"W (I matched the stores and angles, and other stuff), about a thousand feet away on the other side of two big parking structures. I don't think those big footings are related to the SuperCharger at all. Nothing in the very un-Tesla like big footings is described in the original application, and the rest of the SuperCharger pictures matches the original application fully.

View attachment 194540
The red column I took a picture was at 33.775857, -117.872238 (where the gray dot labeled "Mainplace Drive" is on your map, not the red marker). It's right next to the location of the Superchargers. I do think it is not related to the Supercharger, but I am curious what it is though. They just installed a huge sign across the lot with a gigantic screen and sign. I don't think they would put a sign where the red column is, the spot is obscured by trees and the column isn't that tall (compared to the other huge sign that just went up). You really can't see it from the freeway.

Here's the street view link from the 5 NB and you can see the that the spot is not a good place for a sign.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.774...4!1sVqenyASEEousaVNVjQZg7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edit: Here's a map. Green area is where the Superchargers are located and the red dot is where I took a photo of the huge red column.
lwj5CDy.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen YESCO (Young Electric Sign Company) trucks next to one of the two large red columns. I was told early on that several electric signs would be erected. Another, with two large digital video screens (facing north and south) appears to be near completion. I will post a picture of that sometime later today. So, I'm pretty sure all of them are signage of some sort for the mall and have nothing to do with the SuperCharger.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
I've seen YESCO (Young Electric Sign Company) trucks next to one of the two large red columns. I was told early on that several electric signs would be erected. Another, with two large digital video screens (facing north and south) appears to be near completion. I will post a picture of that sometime later today. So, I'm pretty sure all of them are signage of some sort for the mall and have nothing to do with the SuperCharger.
"... now with Supercharger!"

I went by again today for any updates. Just to clarify, the last picture in DJung's post #185 shows the red post with a kind of box beyond it near the stop sign. That is some of the decorative framing that is being put in for the signage. I saw some of the framing erected on the other red post on the north side of the parking structures but I couldn't take a photo of it. Maybe tomorrow when I'm back up there. I've included a photo of the large electronic sign with this post.Note the latticed framing below the screen. I did see men who I assumed are electricians working on the units the drive the charging stations. And, final concrete was being poured for the two separate stations to the east (or right as you face the structure) of the other ten. I'm guessing maybe two weeks or less for construction? It's just a guess. As I've asked before, what do I know? :)
20160907_111703 (1).jpg

Yes, as no work seemed to be occurring on the large sign to the right of these pictures. I counted at least seven workers, three to four of whom seemed to be electricians. One of the trucks at the top middle contains asphalt that I assume will be put in once the wiring is complete. We'll see. I may check again at the end of the day. If not, tomorrow.

Yes, as no work seemed to be occurring on the large sign to the right of these pictures. I counted at least seven workers, three to four of whom seemed to be electricians. One of the trucks at the top middle contains asphalt that I assume will be put in once the wiring is complete. We'll see. I may check again at the end of the day. If not, tomorrow.
thanks for the update. Please check tmr instead :) more progress.