Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Superchargers will have to go to a pay per use system eventually. Link the VIN of the car to a credit card or online account that you have to replenish and then charge a nominal per kWh fee, like $.05/kWh or something. "Free" makes people do weird things (like sitting in your $75k+ car for an hour to save $6 in electricity), and even charging just a couple bucks per full charge would disincentivize lots of the local charging without penalizing people who depend on the network.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
I think Superchargers will have to go to a pay per use system eventually. Link the VIN of the car to a credit card or online account that you have to replenish and then charge a nominal per kWh fee, like $.05/kWh or something. "Free" makes people do weird things (like sitting in your $75k+ car for an hour to save $6 in electricity), and even charging just a couple bucks per full charge would disincentivize lots of the local charging without penalizing people who depend on the network.

This makes sense for Model 3. But Elon has already promised us model s and x owners free supercharging "forever". Can't really go back on that, can he?

This makes sense for Model 3. But Elon has already promised us model s and x owners free supercharging "forever". Can't really go back on that, can he?
No he can't, and he won't.

I don't think @eyespii is saying that current S/X owners will have to pay to use the Superchargers on the future. But it is possible that in the future the S/X may pay per use or pay once for lifetime. There might be a choice when the car is purchased.

For the Model 3, we don't know for sure what Tesla plans to do regarding Supercharging. Personally I think Model 3 buyers will have a choice between an option for "pay once then free for life" or pod that option is not purchased it will be pay per use.

No he can't, and he won't.

I don't think @eyespii is saying that current S/X owners will have to pay to use the Superchargers on the future. But it is possible that in the future the S/X may pay per use or pay once for lifetime. There might be a choice when the car is purchased.

For the Model 3, we don't know for sure what Tesla plans to do regarding Supercharging. Personally I think Model 3 buyers will have a choice between an option for "pay once then free for life" or pod that option is not purchased it will be pay per use.

I don't think he'll go back and take away free supercharging for people that already have it. I think pay per use is actually better than pay up front, because people that pay up front would technically be buying "unlimited supercharging", which would lead to locals feeling like they've bought the right to sit at chargers as long as they like.

...NO ONE likes driving with less than 25 miles of range indicated by the car.

Not true. Many people get over the range anxiety and feel very comfortable dropping well below 25 miles RR.

It's all about knowing where you're going and trusting your car--once you get past those things the benefits star to shine through. If you don't trust your car and/or don't exactly know where you're going, then yeah, you're best to keep a buffer.

Drat and double drat!! A guy goes out of the country for a couple of weeks and all manner of developments occur!! I was hoping to be first to report the news. Just back last night and didn't check the website while in Italy. Way to go in my absence, all of you!! I'll drive by this morning to check on the progress. Ciao.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
20160815_083452.jpg
20160815_083345.jpg
20160815_082517.jpg
I dropped by the SC site this morning about 8:30 to grab some photo updates. See attached. One shows a square spot inside the actual structure where the pavement has been removed. Not sure what much of the construction indicates as I'm no engineer. I'll leave the interpretation to others. Just passing it along.

View attachment 190222 View attachment 190223 View attachment 190224 I dropped by the SC site this morning about 8:30 to grab some photo updates. See attached. One shows a square spot inside the actual structure where the pavement has been removed. Not sure what much of the construction indicates as I'm no engineer. I'll leave the interpretation to others. Just passing it along.
What's not clear to me is whether the actual SC spaces will be outside the structure or inside. That trenching suggests the former, but the broken concrete inside is a mystery.

We'll know soon, won't we? :)
Amen to that, Ed.

As many of you know better than I do, that concrete box with the slot on top is the transformer vault. The conduit run from that shows you where the distribution center will be, and the supercharger cabinets and charging stalls are usually close by. ("Close by" is an elastic term- look at San Diego via the current Google maps, if you haven't been there.) If the utility transformer is placed by the time the rest of the installation is done, that means one less (sometimes weeks-long) delay.

OK, these were taken after work hours today (about 4:30 local time) and it appears that the charging bays will indeed be outside the parking structure. Supercharge.info shows 12 stations but only 10 so far are protruding. But, there is room for two more, it appears. You can see them in the first two pictures. Two other shots (one from inside the structure and one from the second floor looking down) are of conduits that, I assume, will connect with something to be built on the first floor of the structure. Again, I'm just a reporter and not an engineer. So, community, go at your interpretations. This one sure looks different than any I've seen. But, that's me. I have charged at about 22 SCs around the Southwest and California. I have others and if I can figure out how to show them best, I'll do a second posting. Something to chew on for the weekend. If you're reading this immediately, the photos may not have loaded. I'll give it a few minutes.

That's great news. SCs inside mall properties are bad ideas to begin with, but SCs within mall property parking structures are the worst.

Ok, maybe they share the worst title with SCs in restricted parking areas - such as at airports or, well, other parking garages now that I think about it.

One positive is that it doesn't matter if it's raining. Hey, it's the little things.

Glad these are outside the structure in any case. Between those 12 and the 8 at Buena Park, good things are finally happening in the OC. Still need relief along the 405 and/or 5 into North (SD) County to push the northbound load further north (if you charge in Carlsbad, you won't need to stop at SJC or FV), but one thing at a time.

Still need relief along the 405 and/or 5 into North (SD) County to push the northbound load further north (if you charge in Carlsbad, you won't need to stop at SJC or FV), but one thing at a time.
Amen to that! With the SD Supercharger far off the freeway and in the oddest place (a tech company's parking lot), having a North SD county (Oceanside or Carlsbad) would enable many to skip the SD Supercharger entirely. Heaven.

Useful hint: If you do use the SD Supercharger, make sure you empty your bowels and bladder prior to arriving there on a weekend or late night. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Progress is indeed looking good. Ground work for the charging bays is being done, it appears. See the frame for a Tesla charging bay lying on the ground. I counted 10 in the storage area, so there must be one more around as this is a 12-station charger. I can only identify 10 so far. Perhaps two will be to the right of the 10 beyond a parking lot entrance.