Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Cruz, CA - Soquel Avenue (LIVE 16 Jul 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe Tesla is rolling out V2 any more. Could be wrong but I think it's either V3 or urban chargers now.

AFAIK, urban chargers are V2 chargers, just with different firmware that pins both sides at a maximum of 72 kW instead of allowing one half of a pair to draw more power while the other side is occupied. I get the impression that the only difference is the pedestal design.

In fact, in the early days, there were even reports of getting way more than 72 kW at urban superchargers. Of course, I have no idea if the wires they use on the urban SCs are of adequate gauge to handle that much current for any length of time or not, so converting one to the other might require more than just a firmware change, but I doubt it's a lot more.

Unfortunately, that also means that the high-use urban superchargers seem to have the same high failure rate that the standard V2 setups have. (Case in point: Los Gatos.) At some point, they're probably going to have to figure out a way to either fix the V2 design or start replacing high-usage V2 hardware with V3 hardware, including high-usage urban locations.

That said, I agree that with 6 stalls it is almost certainly at least partially V2, either in a split configuration or an urban configuration. My bet would be 6 urban, given that they just built out an amazing V3 setup just a few miles away in Scotts Valley, but I could also see some combination of urban and V2, or perhaps one V3 cabinet and one urban pair. Hard to say.

Last edited:
Does Telsa ever do that kind of setup where it's partially superchargers and part urban chargers? I've never seen that and I dont really see the point.

I also doubt Tesla will deploy only 6 chargers. Even the charger in Big Sur has 8 stalls. I don't think Tesla does deployments this small.

Assuming it IS a Tesla charger, it would have to be a minimum of 8 stalls. It's also an odd location considering Capitola Mall nearby that has a huge empty parking lot. Not really that close to the freeway either.

Interesting to see how this will develop. I'm sure we'll get more details once the construction ramps up.

visited today - nothing definitive indicating Tesla onside - there was quite a big of large grey conduit - other than that there was _NO_ equipment on site - no molds for base pedestals, and no boxes with any sort of other equipment

I didn't take any pictures because there was nothing different than the existing pictures.

This evening. Four identical pallets from Tesla.
IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

I'm going to guess 8 urban superchargers - no flames if counts was elsewhere in the thread - lighten up - it's just an internet forum!
You're wide of the mark and there's no need to guess. It'll be 16 V3 superchargers. You can see the plywood forms for the 4 V3 supercharger cabinets that organize the conduit properly. V3 cabinets are connected to stalls in a 1:4 ratio. Plus 16 pedestals were just delivered in those boxes.

Just noticed this thread title never got updated. @bmah @ecarfan
Also, there are 8 boxes, so 16 pedestals.
Thanks, but I am retired. :) @bmah is in command now, and doing a fine job!

I’m pleased to see this Supercharger is under construction. In the future I may find it very convenient when towing my trailer and my route takes me through Santa Cruz.