Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Speculation: Large New One Coming to Central California along 101?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On reddit there is a user claiming there will be a big site soon along 101 between two major cities:

Yes, coming in the first quarter, my buddy said there is going to be a massive (35+ stall) Kettleman City-sized supercharger on the 101 there between two larger cities. He said these issues mainly exist in CA during the holidays. v3 is going to solve that for sure.​

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/egjwhg/slo_supercharger/fc75qk8/

Somewhere right around King City would be great.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I really hope this is true. Last night I waited 2hr 45m for a charger in SLO. Then over an hour to charge enough to get me to salinas.

As it is now I'll likely be renting ICE cars for road trips in the future.

Tesla had additional chargers on-site, a few of them working, most of them not. They had some people directing traffic and handing out water. I felt terrible for the people traveling with family/kids.

The 101 corridor needs some major attention. Santa Barbara, Pismo, King City, Paso, Gonzales, Soledad would all help. King City and Paso probably make the most sense.

I really hope this is true. Last night I waited 2hr 45m for a charger in SLO. Then over an hour to charge enough to get me to salinas.

As it is now I'll likely be renting ICE cars for road trips in the future.

Tesla had additional chargers on-site, a few of them working, most of them not. They had some people directing traffic and handing out water. I felt terrible for the people traveling with family/kids.

The 101 corridor needs some major attention. Santa Barbara, Pismo, King City, Paso, Gonzales, Soledad would all help. King City and Paso probably make the most sense.
I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating here. My brother took his in-laws from Fresno to LAX yesterday in a plain old ICE car and it took them 12 hours via 101.

101 certainly does need some additional capacity, but nothing would have been sized to handle yesterday, the literal perfect storm.

Reactions: house9 and bxr140
More capacity is coming, as Tesla is really ramping up the Supercharging stalls. The existing ones are getting faster as well, in addition to the cars themselves being ablle to charge faster.

On the other hand I don't imagine that Tesla will ever have enough Supercharger capacity to handle the infrequent surges that happen when all their customers get on the road at the same time, and pull into charge about the same time.

Overall I have spent way more time waiting in gasoline lines than in my Tesla, because I tend to charge during the off peak time. A little scheduling goes a long way during holliday travel.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
More capacity is coming, as Tesla is really ramping up the Supercharging stalls. The existing ones are getting faster as well, in addition to the cars themselves being ablle to charge faster.

On the other hand I don't imagine that Tesla will ever have enough Supercharger capacity to handle the infrequent surges that happen when all their customers get on the road at the same time, and pull into charge about the same time.

Overall I have spent way more time waiting in gasoline lines than in my Tesla, because I tend to charge during the off peak time. A little scheduling goes a long way during holliday travel.

Exactly. I drive between SoCal and the Bay Area once a quarter, with no SC issues, but then I always try to hit the road by 5:30 am. Over Thanksgiving, we got to Madonna Inn right before 10 am, and got the last available charger. Went in for breakfast, and when we came out (~45 minutes later), the line had started.

Except for the older ones.

I agree with the planning part, last week we left Sacramento at 1am and there were very few teslas at the Chargers we stopped at.

We drove south on I-5 all the way to Tejon Ranch with a stop at Harris Ranch before being stopped at Grapevine for snow. 58 was closed for snow to the East and 166 to the West had multiple car wrecks rerouting traffic back to the I-5. Tejon Ranch Supercharger was largely empty on Dec 26, no more than 5-6 cars at any time. After attempting to escape to the west and the 101, we were diverted back for those wrecks on 166 and decided to wait it out at the foot of the Grapevine for caltrans to clear the road. After seeing the overloaded Superchargers at Atascadero and SLO, we were glad to wait it out in Tejon Ranch overnight. We blew through 20kwh keeping the car interior warm at 72 degrees overnight in the freezing temps but good thing the Supercharger was empty. All the hotels were booked up to the north end of Bakerfield. Grapevine finally reopened on Friday at about 10:40AM. What an experience!
26911CB3-750D-448F-94B9-AB4FD192E735.jpeg

Somewhere right around King City would be great.

I'm 100% willing to bow to a well informed local, but my armchair research shows Paso Robles is almost exactly at the halfway point. Is there a reason that this wouldn't be a good location?

Next question - do Tesla tend to buy or lease these large scale (Kettleman, Baker) locations? If buy, does Does anyone know any obvious potentional sites in the area that have been for sale or sold recently?

The best location for a Supercharger station in Paso Robles would be closest to the intersection of 101 and the 46. This would be the halfway point and serve north/south and east/west travellers. The 101/46 intersection has lots of amenities, hotels,fast food and restaurants. This is a strategic location which will certainly see a fast charging network someday... lets hope and encourage Tesla to be the first.

9CBB9F68-5157-4D82-84E5-357FEB4C5A5B.jpeg

Reactions: house9
The best location for a Supercharger station in Paso Robles would be closest to the intersection of 101 and the 46. This would be the halfway point and serve north/south and east/west travellers. The 101/46 intersection has lots of amenities, hotels,fast food and restaurants. This is a strategic location which will certainly see a fast charging network someday... lets hope and encourage Tesla to be the first.

View attachment 494074

Best location would be next to Firestone brewery, but I am biased. ;)

I'm 100% willing to bow to a well informed local, but my armchair research shows Paso Robles is almost exactly at the halfway point. Is there a reason that this wouldn't be a good location?

Next question - do Tesla tend to buy or lease these large scale (Kettleman, Baker) locations? If buy, does Does anyone know any obvious potentional sites in the area that have been for sale or sold recently?
Paso is decent, but perpetually congested, expensive, and there aren’t a lot of great places to put a big station with easy freeway access. It’s also relatively close to Kettleman City for east/west travelers, and there are several existing options not too far south with Atascadero, SLO, and Buellton.

It’s a veritable desert to the north, with nothing until Salinas. I’d probably pick King City if I were stabbing at a map. Lots of cheap land, easy freeway access, and it fills a substantial gap.

Best location would be next to Firestone brewery, but I am biased. ;)

Actually, the 46 on the west side of the 101 is a great location with a Target shopping center on the south side. Firestone brewery just to the northeast is a short walk. Look at that field south of Firestone and across the 101 from Target - enough room for 40+ Superchargers and excellent freeway access.

8407FD65-7277-4366-9D8C-9FEFF8154343.jpeg

Reactions: Zorg
The land at Kettleman City was cheap. It had been vacant for some time. The land at Baker was more than likely even cheaper.

I am not so sure about the 101 corridor though. Paso real estate has to be pricey, particularly that which is proximate to US101. There might be some less expensive land available around Templeton or on the outskirts of Atascadero, but I am not knowledgeable in this matter.

Tesla might be willing to sign a 20-year lease with renewal options; I don't know. I guess that the Kettleman City complex is about an acre or so. I don't know how many smaller parcels like that are available, or if larger parcels can be split under the current zoning rules.

Edit: Upon further thinking, land is probably much less expensive in San Miguel or San Ardo. If Tesla has a snack bar inside, it really does not matter if there are not a lot of things to do in those communities.

You may want to read this thread about an EV charging station coming to King City in a great location for a Supercharger:
Not a Supercharger - King City: permit for EV chargers at 560 Canal Street

The city officials were initially very open and then shut down abruptly and referred me to public records. I am not convinced that Maxgen is building a non Tesla site in this location.

• Informative
Reactions: Axtrader and Chuq