Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Speculation: Large New One Coming to Central California along 101?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting the permit for goleta shows 12 stalls...the location that people have been speculating about (there's a green construction fence up in the parking lot at Camino real shopping center) doesn't look big enough to have 12 stalls, but maybe it's just a temporary fence and is not covering the whole site yet.
Yep, see the latest posts in the Goleta Supercharger thread and you will see that is being discussed.

Reactions: goletaspring
If the Pismo Beach SC ever comes to fruition, a likely spot would be at the PB Outlet center just next to the 101.
Similar to Livermore Outlet Center off of 580.
Would be within walking distance to Nike and Brooks Burgers (which has great Tri tip sandwiches BTW)

I’m not sure the Livermore Supercharger is a good site to emulate...the outlet mall (which is now called “San Francisco Premium Outlets” even though it’s nowhere near SF) is so busy that that Supercharger is almost unusable on weekends and holidays.

Hopefully a site in Pismo Beach would work out better than that.

Bruce.

• Love
Reactions: goldengate
I agree, Bruce. I can't even use the Gilroy SC due to the shopping congestion on major shopping weekends Nov/Dec and was thankful that Morgan Hill opened for that purpose. I'm hoping for one with a view of the ocean at Pismo.... and really hoping they get some of these "coming soons" going and make this 101 a major priority. I am surprised the Target in Santa Margarita isn't a location but as we know from Novato, not all superchargers in work (even final stages of construction) appear on that map.

I’m not sure the Livermore Supercharger is a good site to emulate...the outlet mall (which is now called “San Francisco Premium Outlets” even though it’s nowhere near SF) is so busy that that Supercharger is almost unusable on weekends and holidays.

Bruce.

In one respect, more SC's is always better than fewer, so even if in a mall parking lot, its better to have SC's than none in the area. That said, malls can be brutal during the heavy shopping season. We stopped at the Thousand Oaks mall (per the Tesla Nav) and it took nearly 10 minutes just to snake thru the lot to get to the chargers. Cars were backed up trying to get in and out of the lot. (we got there shortly after 1pm on the drive down from NorCal)

Reactions: goldengate and bmah
A couple of thoughts after catching up on this thread
  • On the Tesla SuC maps, "Coming Soon" locations are just generic placements, generally the center of the city geographically or "city center" as a local reference point
  • "Coming in 2020" means diddly squat. There are a TON of locations showing as coming in 2020 that previously were "Coming in 2019" and "Coming in 2018"
/Curmudgeon mode

Reactions: goldengate
There are a TON of locations showing as coming in 2020 that previously were "Coming in 2019" and "Coming in 2018"
Yes, that happens every year with the Tesla Supercharger map. It’s quite predictable. All of Elons’ goals are “aspirational”. They are rarely achieved in the extremely optimistic timeframes he specifies. But they are achieved, eventually. Which is why the Tesla Supercharger network is by far the most useful and extensive EV charging network ever built.

Reactions: Jazz3D
A couple of thoughts after catching up on this thread
  • On the Tesla SuC maps, "Coming Soon" locations are just generic placements, generally the center of the city geographically or "city center" as a local reference point
  • "Coming in 2020" means diddly squat. There are a TON of locations showing as coming in 2020 that previously were "Coming in 2019" and "Coming in 2018"
/Curmudgeon mode

You're not wrong. However...

- The delays at SLO over Christmas this year have been well publicised
- Some inside info from a reddit /r/teslamotors mod suggested that a "big one" was coming somewhere on this route shortly.
- Shortly *after* that, the map was updated with grey pins in the specified locations
- After that, the sales records for Paso Robles land was investigated by @Axtrader

The increase in grey dots this update was fairly minimal in most areas, suggesting that Tesla are not displaying long term, aspirational areas but focusing a bit more on immediate plans. This is just a guess on my part, but the other option is that they are ramping down SC deployment which I don't expect to be the case.

Bruce.
Locating at Pismo Outlet Center recapitulates TM modus operendi:
Location near freeway off ramp (101)
Stop and shop nearby retail locations and eateries.

While any SC location, especially a mall location, is susceptible to traffic mayhem, on the other hand I think it’s fair to say any PB location will help defray heavy usage at SLO (a 2 hour queuing time over Christmas travel period.)

“ I think this could be the beginning of a good relationship ...”

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
I emailed Soledad planning and this is the response... so it does appear Tesla is working on one there:

"They are still working on this project, and the ball is in their court to resubmit plans to us."

One sentence was all I got but better than nothing. The use of the word "resubmit" would imply they have already submitted plans which were returned to Tesla for revision...

I just learned about the Soledad location looking through the Calif SC thread last night. Had no idea this location was added let alone live already. This is fabulous and very needed. We’ve stayed in Pismo, Arroyo Grande and this will make staying down there and driving around the area so much easier to charge. I looked at the map and see it is on the west side of 101. Somehow had pictured it in the 5 Cities Shopping Center where the theater is located (opposite side of 101 and a bit further south).

Another location I’m waiting to see go in would be Santa Maria. Big area, lots of shopping. We almost moved to the Central Coast a number of years ago and still love getting away to the whole area for extended weekend or week getaways from the SF bay area. Actually lodging in this area can be just as hard to find during summer if you don’t reserve early. If you were staying anywhere from Pismo south to north of Santa Ynez there was no good fast charging unless you went all the way north to SLO or all the way south to Buellton/Santa Ynez. Even L2s weren’t that accessible for some running around mileage, mostly at wineries.

Yes, Pismo was a great add, and I agree on Santa Maria, and hoping one day for King City as well... Santa Maria makes a lot of sense. I am glad to see this corridor (finally) getting some love... hope they all can come online in 2020!

Reactions: SMAlset