Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sunnyvale, CA - W. McKinley Ave (LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, that's not good news. Hope no one's car got messed up electronically when that happened. Didn't someone here say that there was an issue with the power level or something and it was going to need to be addressed before it could open? Nope not good at all especially if some equipment got damaged.

Target surely won't appreciate the area being blocked off again. I think we'll be in that area next week and will see what's going on at that point.

Last edited:
I live in Sunnyvale and it seems like every other car in my neighborhood is a Tesla. I'm really not that surprised that it's full already. Hopefully it's just the novelty of having a new station that's driving up the demand. Only time will tell.

This is why tesla should build superchargers only along major routes and avoid central metropolitan areas except on the very most outskirts.

The video is a nice tour of the shopping area around Target (and always nice to see what the area looks like you are driving to), but I think it makes it seem more difficult to get to than need be. Hopefully Tesla navigation takes a more direct route.

Well until I got to Target itself, I only made like one turn (off of Mathilda). So I assume you are talking about the circuitous route I took once I actually got to Target ;-)

But yeah, when I got to Target itself back in Jan, I didn't realize I could have made a right turn at that stop sign (at the 1:27 mark in the video). So I went around Target (which is large) and basically and entered through the back of the parking structure.

Faster entry: make the right at that stop sign and then an immediate left into the parking structure.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Well until I got to Target itself, I only made like one turn (off of Mathilda). So I assume you are talking about the circuitous route I took once I actually got to Target ;-)

But yeah, when I got to Target itself back in Jan, I didn't realize I could have made a right turn at that stop sign (at the 1:27 mark in the video). So I went around Target (which is large) and basically and entered through the back of the parking structure.

Faster entry: make the right at that stop sign and then an immediate left into the parking structure.

Really only was saying there is a quicker and more direct route to the chargers than shown in the video. I think the fact they decided to specifically list this location as Sunnyvale - W. McKinley Ave. probably means the Nav will take you via that street into the garage. Haven't tried out Nav to it yet. On a busy weekend day, you really don't want to wind around the shopping center in stop and go traffic unnecessarily.

Our first time looking for the chargers we drove into the garage near the Target entrance and wasn't sure from there where the chargers were located. These parking garage installations can be confusing if you haven't been there before. Some are on the roof top, others like Cupertino, on a second level. I do think the video is great for showing people the Target building and parking area so they know what to expect if it's their first time there. And doubt Google Maps street view will show you inside the garage.

I stopped by the Target Supercharger station last night to see what was and wasn't working. There are two chargers that are taped off and the signage on the chargers are dark. The other 6 units appear to be in operation. There was a Model X charging when I got there but the owner was not sitting in the car so I couldn't ask if the charging was working as expected. My car was at 75% SOC so I only received 26 kW. I'm not sure if that's the expected power delivery at 75% SOC as I have never tried to Supercharge my car when the battery was near full capacity. Hopefully, the issue is just with the two chargers.

• Informative
I stopped by the Target Supercharger station last night to see what was and wasn't working. There are two chargers that are taped off and the signage on the chargers are dark. The other 6 units appear to be in operation. There was a Model X charging when I got there but the owner was not sitting in the car so I couldn't ask if the charging was working as expected. My car was at 75% SOC so I only received 26 kW. I'm not sure if that's the expected power delivery at 75% SOC as I have never tried to Supercharge my car when the battery was near full capacity. Hopefully, the issue is just with the two chargers.

hmm, I'm the only one charging here. seems In car station warning message confused about closed vs reduced service. it is fully operational except two are red taped due to the blown transformer yesterday.
IMG_1045.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and SMAlset

That was my model X :) I plugged in at 30% SOC and saw peak charge rates up to 96KW. Overall performance was comparable to the Mountain View Supercharger, but I I did not have a lot of competition for the power feed. I was in Target for ~30min and added about 100 range miles - going from 100RM -> 200RM.

• Informative
Came over to Sunnyvale to check it out...not too surprisingly it’s pretty busy even though the Nav screen still says reduced service. But in the few minutes I’ve been here there always seems to be one or two stalls free. 4A/4B are still down but everything else seems OK.

Bruce.

PS. For the record this is my first and probably only visit to this Supercharger, just to add it to my list. Also I did leave my phone number on my dash while I was away from the car.

Last edited: