Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sweetwater, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been promised since 2014; to date, they're exactly zero for eight.

At this point, dropping south from Central New Mexico to El Paso, elevation concerns aside, would be a good way to at least get to El Paso. From there, they could work their way west through Deming, NM to Benson, AZ, and east through Ranger/Van Horn to points east.

But someone in the SC Southwest Region group would have to acknowledge that lighting up the only transcontinental route that does not require chains and/or snow tires year-round is important for millions of travelers from CA to FL and points in between.

The towns are pretty much evident, and there are plenty of hotels and truck stops and fast food restaurants and town chambers of commerce/visitors centers from which to choose.
Amen, Brother TaoJones! Ice-free winter routes are very important issue for many of us, AWD or not! I'm waiting for both I-10 and for 101 on the northern CA coast (as an alternative to the mountain passes in I-5).

image.jpeg
Tesla Sweetwater Supercharger currently under construction .

So close but yet so far to close the I-10 Supercharger Wasteland gap!

Just 412 miles from Sweetwater to El Paso and 316 from there to Tucson (less to Benson, even). I realize that's cheating somewhat as this approach still leaves a large void along I-10 to San Antonio, but hey, at this point, anything would be good.

One wonders if El Paso to Albuquerque is in the cards at some point. The whole point of connecting I-10 is to keep drivers out of as much bad wx as possible, so there's that.

Will be very glad to not have to contend with tornado alley through Oklahoma and black ice-prone I-40 through the high deserts of TX, NM, and AZ, once I-10 is lit up.

Reactions: tezzla
I thought that once it was ready the Tesla logo was illuminated on the charging pedestals... (Or does that happen before the final switch is turned on?)

Yeah not sure. This was the first yet to be officially opened supercharger I've been too, so I am not sure. But to the eye it looked ready. But I couldn't tell if transformer was making any noise or if it should have.