Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tacoma, WA (LIVE Mar 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are now lines. Hopefully getting close.
64E9F290-B050-4CA9-BF8A-C4367A6673A0.jpeg

Attachments

• 8AB7EC62-FE6B-4103-BA26-7C3FBA3859FC.jpeg
    8AB7EC62-FE6B-4103-BA26-7C3FBA3859FC.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 59
  • B424654E-1D8E-47D5-96A7-78A6A2778B71.jpeg
    B424654E-1D8E-47D5-96A7-78A6A2778B71.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 51
  • F7C47667-B78A-4006-9806-A4872DD5ADA0.jpeg
    F7C47667-B78A-4006-9806-A4872DD5ADA0.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 58
More progress.
A transformer, but no meter installed in the Tesla white cabinet behind the green monster in that photo.

Only 1000kVA unit, which is "normal" but we saw a 2000kVA transformer provided somewhere else recently that was only a standard-size site (12/16 stalls). I was hoping they might all go that way to oversupply power for probable future expansion.

Reactions: T4zi114
A transformer, but no meter installed in the Tesla white cabinet behind the green monster in that photo.

Only 1000kVA unit, which is "normal" but we saw a 2000kVA transformer provided somewhere else recently that was only a standard-size site (12/16 stalls). I was hoping they might all go that way to oversupply power for probable future expansion.
I can't imagine expansion being possible at this site. It is already pretty tight as it is. There are much better sites for expansion.

Nice. Just needs a meter.
IMG_20230225_130508644.jpg

You looking for a meter on the Tesla cabinet? Looks like it's there.

And this configuration of stalls still looks super weird. Never seen a disability stall before, how common are those? I drove cross country to Florida and back in 2019 and don't remember seeing anything like this configuration or disability spot.

Attachments

• IMG_20230225_130152292_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230225_130152292_HDR.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20230225_130136331.jpg
    IMG_20230225_130136331.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230225_130108553.jpg
    IMG_20230225_130108553.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 54
View attachment 911257
You looking for a meter on the Tesla cabinet? Looks like it's there.

And this configuration of stalls still looks super weird. Never seen a disability stall before, how common are those? I drove cross country to Florida and back in 2019 and don't remember seeing anything like this configuration or disability spot.
There is no meter, thats a blank plate.

Pretty much every site in CA has at least 1 disabled site per 8 stalls if not more. They are required by law in some states. Check out the Tesla Charging Twitter for pictures of all the new locations and see how many have blue placards. Outside of Everett, the next 5 in the US all have disabled stalls.

Just spitballing here, or do you have any actual info?

Any supercharger may be designated for all EV types but this one seems unlikely to me.
No actual info but with the weird configuration it would seem more likely. I live in Tacoma area and the location seems good for all ev types imo because 16 and i5 converge and you get a lot of people from across the bridge plus all the car dealerships in the area.

No actual info but with the weird configuration it would seem more likely. I live in Tacoma area and the location seems good for all ev types imo because 16 and i5 converge and you get a lot of people from across the bridge plus all the car dealerships in the area.
The “weird” configuration that has everyone up in arms likely has more to do with what’s underground and how they could place the precast bases than anything else. If they used custom poured the bases they’d all be in a line with the two posts together, one serving a stall on each side. They are all still designed to plug in at the drivers side rear corner. These are not being designed for other cars or they’d have longer cables and maybe two per stall like EA. And stalls would alternate left and right side to be more accommodating to different plug in locations like a typical gas station pump layout.

And with the Magic Dock, any V3 site can become a universal CCS site.

The “weird” configuration that has everyone up in arms likely has more to do with what’s underground and how they could place the precast bases than anything else. If they used custom poured the bases they’d all be in a line with the two posts together, one serving a stall on each side. They are all still designed to plug in at the drivers side rear corner. These are not being designed for other cars or they’d have longer cables and maybe two per stall like EA. And stalls would alternate left and right side to be more accommodating to different plug in locations like a typical gas station pump layout.

And with the Magic Dock, any V3 site can become a universal CCS site.
Who’s up in arms? From the looks of it you could technically charge from either front or back.

Who’s up in arms? From the looks of it you could technically charge from either front or back.
Um, you’re supposed to charge on both sides for part of this station. Its why they are set up like they are. The “up in arms part” is all the people wondering why 1 post on each side is rotated 90 degrees into the parking stall which is what makes it look “weird”. There’s 9 on one side and 3 facing the other way (side with the disability stall).

Um, you’re supposed to charge on both sides for part of this station. Its why they are set up like they are. The “up in arms part” is all the people wondering why 1 post on each side is rotated 90 degrees into the parking stall which is what makes it look “weird”. There’s 9 on one side and 3 facing the other way (side with the disability stall).
And you don’t see this configuration different than 95% of superchargers? I’ve used many superchargers and this is the only one setup this way that I have seen.

And you don’t see this configuration different than 95% of superchargers? I’ve used many superchargers and this is the only one setup this way that I have seen.
And just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s not going to work or cause problems with people using it. Most sites are different because of the layout above ground or underground requires them to be different. It will work. People will figure it out.

And just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s not going to work or cause problems with people using it. Most sites are different because of the layout above ground or underground requires them to be different. It will work. People will figure it out.
Confused! I never said it wouldn’t work and I never said it would cause problems at all. I like the idea of this configuration and whatever the reason behind the design. I was just pointing out that I have never seen this layout or anything close to it and I’ve been to 30 plus superchargers since 2018.

I stopped by tonight. Still no meter.

I parked in what looked like the most difficult stall and the cable still reached, but it was a little awkward. If I parked on or near the line, it might not have gotten there.

But anyways, all the cables reach as painted. The bigger issue will likely be when someone uses a cable intended for the opposite side. Because there are some cases where the one intended for the other side is an easier reach and they aren't clearly marked as to which should be used for which.

Reactions: bruce4000
The bigger issue will likely be when someone uses a cable intended for the opposite side. Because there are some cases where the one intended for the other side is an easier reach and they aren't clearly marked as to which should be used for which.
Usually the dispensers are only labeled on one side; it would still require someone to be attentive to whether or not the pedestal they're parked in front of is labeled on their side, but I have faith in h…
200w.gif

…sorry, I lost my head there for a second.

On the bright side, with the Magic Dock on its way, the point becomes moot – since it'll officially become a free-for-all and catch-as-catch-can.

Ahh, the future.

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian