Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger team sacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon has confirmed they’re slowing SuC rollout. It’s disappointing, but I can see it. As others have pointed out, other companies have sat back on their plans to roll out rapid charging networks and have been happy to use the SuC network, instead. Why put in the effort and expense when someone else is doing it? I wonder whether Tesla reached out to a bunch of car manufacturers and offered to collab (as has been suggested in the past) and they’ve said “nah, we’ll just use the network for free” and that’s ended up pissing off Musk. With Tesla slowing SuC rollout other manufacturers/networks will need to step up to fill in the missing gaps. It’s just a pity the other networks charge around double what the SuC network does.

Reactions: SmartElectric
So it's not yet clear what exactly will change for us in practice or what this "supercharger team" who was apparently fired actually did in that case. 🤷‍♂️
Indeed. For all we know it could be the SuC Design team and they have been fired as even after 4 iterations of SuC users are still complaining of shortcomings with the design.

Of course, my idea is pure speculation, but its a different way of looking at it.

It's disappointing to see "early days of twitter purchase" type kneejerk firings at the first bad quarter.

A better explanation is required if it's anything other than cost cutting, as that's the obvious assumption at this stage. Personally, I'd be happy to "Pay more at the pumps" if that's what was needed to maintain the level of investment and expansion.

I think reducing supercharger investment is damaging to Tesla long term. You can see a path to Tesla being the biggest charging provider in the UK if they continue investment, and they have the capital and had the expertise to do it.

Honestly, I think Musk is showing that he's very good at startups, but it's time to get an adult running the company.

So Elon has confirmed they’re slowing SuC rollout. It’s disappointing, but I can see it. As others have pointed out, other companies have sat back on their plans to roll out rapid charging networks and have been happy to use the SuC network, instead. Why put in the effort and expense when someone else is doing it? I wonder whether Tesla reached out to a bunch of car manufacturers and offered to collab (as has been suggested in the past) and they’ve said “nah, we’ll just use the network for free” and that’s ended up pissing off Musk. With Tesla slowing SuC rollout other manufacturers/networks will need to step up to fill in the missing gaps. It’s just a pity the other networks charge around double what the SuC network does.
Well there was me saying wait until we get all the facts and let's catch-up in 12 months.

So he really did fire the entire supercharger team in US as an example to other execs that he meant it about the 10% workforce reductions.

So currently no contractor, utility company and most importantly customers (ford, GM, all other car companies, the US Government) can contact Tesla supercharger team.

Now that's something that would make
  1. me rethink my investment strategy
  2. a lot of US customers their decision to move to the NACS charging standard
  3. People think twice about working for Tesla.
  4. And will deter customers, especially in US where there really is no viable charging alternative (Electrify America my arse).
That's one way of slowing down the EV transition. Oil execs must be laughing their heads off.

No doubt Tesla will 'attempt' to hire back a number of key employees (attempt being the operative word).

I can see a lot of auto CEO's shouting down the phone at Elon today.

As own goals go, it's up there.

Last edited:
Well there was me saying wait until we get all the facts and let's catch-up in 12 months.

So he really did fire the entire supercharger team in US as an example to other execs that he meant it about the 10% workforce reductions.

So currently no contractor, utility company and most importantly customers (ford, GM, all other car companies, the US Government) can contact Tesla supercharger.

Now that's something that would make
  1. me rethink my investment strategy
  2. a lot of US customers their decision to move to the NACS charging standard
  3. People think twice about working for Tesla.
  4. And will deter customers, especially in US where there really is no viable charging alternative (Electrify America my arse).
That's one way of slowing down the EV transition. Oil execs must be laughing their heads off.

No doubt Tesla will 'attempt' to hire back a number of key employees (attempt being the operative word).

I can see a lot of auto CEO's shouting down the phone at Elon today.

As own goals go, it's up there.
Wouldn’t it be nice to know what Musk is thinking? Or maybe it wouldn’t.

So it's not yet clear what exactly will change for us in practice or what this "supercharger team" who was apparently fired actually did in that case. 🤷‍♂️
Well they probably answered the phone to the construction crews for starters. How are they going to continue to build sites out, expand existing ones without a team of people to make this happen. I mean the news is either slightly wrong and not the whole team was fired or he’s literally going to have to replace some of them very quickly with new folks.

Reactions: MD70
Indeed. For all we know it could be the SuC Design team and they have been fired as even after 4 iterations of SuC users are still complaining of shortcomings with the design.

Of course, my idea is pure speculation, but its a different way of looking at it.
Genuine question but what shortcomings? I've only had my M3 since Nov '23 and Supercharged it a few times and had no issues at all. Is it since other brands started using them?

The Reuters article was pretty vague and could be read a number of ways. Sure looks like people have gone, but things like " lay off employees who ran Tesla's electric vehicle charging business" suggest bosses, and "and most or all of the staff that operated and maintained the system" which is it? most or all?

Either way, it sounds like they've lost a fair few people, but not that it's an empty office with no one there.

but tesla is making $ of it.

Genuine question but what shortcomings? I've only had my M3 since Nov '23 and Supercharged it a few times and had no issues at all. Is it since other brands started using them?
Depends what version you use really.

V1 I have no experience of
V2 is slower and you cannot share stalls (e.g. if 1A is in use, do not use 1B unless absolutely critical as it slows the 'pair'. Cable to short for other brands
V3 open to all causes issues as charger is off on one side and so other EVs use the wrong stall and block bays
V4 the holster is poor which leads to damage, and they are still installed off-centre in most locations despite the longer cables.. so still cause issues with other brand EVs.

Depends what version you use really.

V1 I have no experience of
V2 is slower and you cannot share stalls (e.g. if 1A is in use, do not use 1B unless absolutely critical as it slows the 'pair'. Cable to short for other brands
V3 open to all causes issues as charger is off on one side and so other EVs use the wrong stall and block bays
V4 the holster is poor which leads to damage, and they are still installed off-centre in most locations despite the longer cables.. so still cause issues with other brand EVs.
I never experienced V1 either.

V2 they had less cars back then so probably a a fair compromise as also getting the power to sites was harder.

V3 is an issue with open to all cars but probably wasn't designed to be open to all cars so not sure you can blame the design on that, otherwise it's pretty much perfect for Tesla's

V4 Only tried one so far, longer cable will help and has card payment terminal I believe that they need but didn't look closely at that. The charger isn't at fault if they install them in bad locations but possible those locations where in planning permission that's been long running and before V4 was even a thing or open to all.

No they are not slowing it down - but stopping it. The entire team responsible for the integration of new SuC’s is gone. Idiot Musk has clearly set the direction of the company away from anything to do with hardware and focus on using AI to develop autonomous driving software. Making better EVs and their infrastructure is not cool enough for him. The actual engineers that made the products we love have been driven away annayway. Other auto and battery makers are now doing better with battery development so he is giving up on this. Big ego - tiny other parts - can’t stand that.

No they are not slowing it down - but stopping it. The entire team responsible for the integration of new SuC’s is gone. Idiot Musk has clearly set the direction of the company away from anything to do with hardware and focus on using AI to develop autonomous driving software. Making better EVs and their infrastructure is not cool enough for him. The actual engineers that made the products we love have been driven away annayway. Other auto and battery makers are now doing better with battery development so he is giving up on this. Big ego - tiny other parts - can’t stand that.
This is probably it, he mentions about being in discussion with licensing FSD with a large vehicle automaker. Maybe he'll license all their tech, sell the factories and become a supplier to other car companies in the end.

Basically feels like he's looked at the Chinese threat, decided he cannot compete with them so is giving up on that side of the business and trying to do something he feels they have a strong advantage in and they will need Tesla for.

Reactions: 12Pack
others even doing better in FSD/AP field as well

Are you sure? Thats not what the Reuters leak said.
what did Reuters said?

because for me, when whole team is sacked - more or less all new things stops. Here's what was chipped in in another thread and some my thoughts:

This team identified sites where SC's were needed, worked with local governments or councils, landowners, and power companies (if needed) to make it all happen. Permits, public meetings, planning permissions, etc.. They negotiated power rates as economic situations changed. Then once up and running, they made sure the superchargers were maintained and all were happy. They modeled demand curves to understand what needs to be upgraded/improved. They worked with other manufacturers in US to make NACS adoption by others.

In the end this team was much more about politics and infrastructure than engineering.

This is not something you can outsource to 500 people in China, nor something that you can just put a random Ai engineer from FSD in-between his work on fart sounds in charge of and train them in a week or month. It was this literal lived experience that made this team valuable, and likely even the people they knew.

And the best way to achieve all of this is to lay off every single person on the supercharging team with a midnight email, including a smart director, instead of using at least some of them to change to this new path? Like, at least keep the ones that know how to make the superchargers you are planning on manufacturing and licensing? Or the ones that can manage the NACS standard and interoperability in US? Or a few to make the "flagship" locations? Or even just tell them in person like a person with any shred of empathy?

No, fire them ALL via email on a Monday night with no warning and start over.

That's what makes this look illogical and questionable and and impulsive not well thought out, and that's doubled down by Elon's useless follow up tweet and the fact that he's pissed that people found out this is happening.

If this were planned out, he could just say it during the investors call 2 days (!!!!!) ago "We changed the world with SCs, which met our mission, now we leave it up to others to build the next super reliable and good 100,000 DC fast chargers. We appreciate the amazing people that made the best charging network in the world happen." But he can't say that because that would mean someone at Tesla besides Elon got credit for something.

phuckin man-baby likely had another brain-fart after yet another ketamine injection.

i am actually surprised that TSLA did not fell even harder yesterday.

Last edited: