Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Terlingua, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pleasantly surprised that they are putting one in by Big Bend National Park.

Think the Supercharger voting map is like what you say, a "coming soon" map. This location in Terlingua itself is on the current voting map. The voting, may if anything, slightly determine build out priority. Both Brownwood and San Angelo have been on that map but never won.... Yet they are building those sites now... 🤷‍♂️ San Angelo and Killeen are actually on the current voting map now and both are already getting Superchargers (Kileen's is actually in Harker Heights but close enough).

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised that they are putting one in by Big Bend National Park.

Think the Supercharger voting map is like what you say, a "coming soon" map. This location in Terlingua itself is on the current voting map. The voting, may if anything, slightly determine build out priority. Both Brownwood and San Angelo have been on that map but never won.... Yet they are building those sites now... 🤷‍♂️ San Angelo and Killeen are actually on the current voting map now and both are already getting Superchargers (Kileen's is actually in Harker Heights but close enough).
Given how many Supercharger stations Tesla is going to need to build, it’s almost inevitable that many of the cities listed on the voting page were destined to become Supercharger locations. Voting sounded like a neat idea, but it’s tough to say how much they’re factoring into their permitting / building process. In any case, it’ll be great see Big Bend have a Supercharger so close by!

We have a trip planned to Big Bend in March.... Is too much to hope this location is open by then?
Really depends. I've seen stations operating about 30 days after the message board has noticed. I've also seen stuff pending for over a year after permits filed so it's a toss up. I'd say March is a good bet though. They seem to be accelerating instals lately, even in rural areas.

Reactions: WVhybrid and CarlS
This is exciting. Terlingua is only 33 miles from Chisos Basin which is where we usually spend most of our time, and 148 miles from the Fort Stockton supercharger. This makes it very doable for us.

We’ve visited Big Bend several times, but never been to Terlingua.
I plan to camp in the Chisos Basin in a few weeks with the Model Y. Done it before. I'll be staying at Retro Rents in Terlingua (right by the proposed SuC location) where they offer overnight charging. You get to stay in their Retro RV's, and can walk to the Starlight (cool restaurant and bar, often live music).
I try to support Retro Rents - they offer EV charging on the website. I believe I was the first EV to charge there; helped talked them into offering it.
I hope they keep getting good business, new SuC setup or not. Pretty convenient locale for access to Big Bend.
Procedure: I charge in Ft. Stockton, drive to Terlingua, stay and charge overnight in Terlingua, then camp in Chisos 4 nights (but don't drive much), then return via Ft. Stockton again.
SUPER pumped if they build these though. Range anxiety in West Texas desert is VERY real.

I plan to camp in the Chisos Basin in a few weeks with the Model Y. Done it before. I'll be staying at Retro Rents in Terlingua (right by the proposed SuC location) where they offer overnight charging. You get to stay in their Retro RV's, and can walk to the Starlight (cool restaurant and bar, often live music).
I try to support Retro Rents - they offer EV charging on the website. I believe I was the first EV to charge there; helped talked them into offering it.
I hope they keep getting good business, new SuC setup or not. Pretty convenient locale for access to Big Bend.
Procedure: I charge in Ft. Stockton, drive to Terlingua, stay and charge overnight in Terlingua, then camp in Chisos 4 nights (but don't drive much), then return via Ft. Stockton again.
SUPER pumped if they build these though. Range anxiety in West Texas desert is VERY real.
I'm going to Terlingua next week to do some mountain biking and will be staying at Retro Rents. Obviously, their EV charging support was key in giving them some business. Had it not been for them, I would be camping in the car at one of the RV parks in the area.

Thanks for promoting EV charging with the owners.

I'll post an update on the SC site.