Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger- Thornton, NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one doesn't make a lot of sense because it's close to Lincoln. They've pushed St Johnsbury back to Q4, that one is much more useful than Thornton would be because they don't have anything on Northern 91. It's like the people who are siting the chargers can't read a map.

This location doesn't even make sense for people visiting Waterville Valley for skiing because the Thornton is further north than most of the Rt 49 access road. (A few destination chargers at Waterville would be great though.) Maybe the idea is to reduce overcrowding at Lincoln?

Agreed St Johnsbury would be much more useful and should have been more of a priority for 2022. I was/am hoping that they add a supercharger where Rt 3 and Rt 2 meet in Lancaster NH in between St Johnsbury and Bethel. Even something further north on Rt 3 would be very appreciated.

Reactions: Haydn31 and kayak1
This location doesn't even make sense for people visiting Waterville Valley for skiing because the Thornton is further north than most of the Rt 49 access road. (A few destination chargers at Waterville would be great though.) Maybe the idea is to reduce overcrowding at Lincoln?

Agreed St Johnsbury would be much more useful and should have been more of a priority for 2022. I was/am hoping that they add a supercharger where Rt 3 and Rt 2 meet in Lancaster NH in between St Johnsbury and Bethel. Even something further north on Rt 3 would be very appreciated.

Yes, it makes sense for capacity and density since Lincoln is only a 6-stall v2. And, since Lincoln can get crowded, maybe a location not in Lincoln is better than adding more in Lincoln. The Thornton location might simply mean "Somewhere vaguely in this area."

Reactions: NewEnglandCld
A decent chunk of Route 49 heading into Waterville Valley is in Thornton (as opposed to Campton or WV)
Perhaps this wouldn't actually be at one of the Thornton exits (29,30) which wouldn't make much sense since there is nothing at those.

Originally I was thinking the Dunkin Donuts at Campton exit 28, but that is in fact in Campton.

Need to keep an eye out for zoning approval or site work I guess.

This one doesn't make a lot of sense because it's close to Lincoln. They've pushed St Johnsbury back to Q4, that one is much more useful than Thornton would be because they don't have anything on Northern 91. It's like the people who are siting the chargers can't read a map.
Totally bummed to hear they pushed St. Johnsbury back to later in 2022. Any idea why? The Northeast Kingdom is a supercharger void. I realize the demand may not be there, but there’s virtually no charging options at all compared to the rest of VT.

Could very well be challenges in getting contractors to do the build. In New England Tesla only has a few doing the builds with the majority by Gordon out of Rhode Island. They get around, doing sites as far north as Williston VT and most recently Ellsworth ME. But they are doing a bunch of sites in RI, CT and MA in the short term and I suspect they have a long list of other projects lined up closer to home. Don’t know where the other contractors are based out of - at least one may be from New York

Reactions: jazzer and kayak1
So as someone who spends about half their time in this area, these ones are obviously important for me (and very exciting). I've been doing some more digging and my bet is that these Super Chargers get placed over at Owl's Nest. That spot definitely makes the most sense, right off 93, with a ton of development going on, and amenities right there. I'm guessing it'll be either late winter or next spring, but either way really exciting and particularly convenient for those going in/out from Waterville Valley.

Reactions: kayak1
Thornton, NH location identified. A hearing will come before the planning board Thursday July 21st for what I believe is a proposed "Country Store" with food services and Tesla charging stations to be located on a lot as Map 240 Lot 109. Trying to piece this location together, I think this will be to the east of the Owl's Nest Resort between Lafayette Rd and NH Route 175.

@tes-s @corywright
I'm pretty sure this is actually at Owl's Nest golf course itself. Per the tax map cross reference list Map 240 Lot 109 was Map 16 Lot 1-7-3. This is essentially right next to where the clubhouse is.

It wouldn't surprise me. My parents were members at Owl's Nest up until last year, and they still live in the area.
I know the owner always has big development plans. I think they are currently building some kind of manmade lake back there along with a new restaurant.
I didn't see anything on the Owl's Nest website about a store yet, but might be worth keeping an eye out the website as well.

At the planning board this evening the developer presented their project, but was unable to have a formal public hearing due to issues getting the notices out on time. They plan to return to August meeting for the public hearing for approval. The planning board didn't express any concerns suggesting the project wouldn't be approved when it came before the planning board next month.

The developer mentioned they were aware of an EV charging station shortage in the region and approached both Tesla and Rivian for the project.

They stated they were planning to install six charging stations - an odd number for a Supercharger project. I think they also mentioned additional non-Tesla charging was also to be included on the side of the building (presumably L2).

EDIT: I know Meredith NH just went live with six v3 stalls - the original plan was for the standard 8 but the town restricted it to 6 due to parking restrictions. But if Tesla is proposing six stalls... could this be a v4 site with a ratio of three stalls to one supercharger cabinet? I guess only time (and site plans when available) will tell.

Given zero stated concerns with the inclusion of superchargers, do we consider this one a blue pin now, or wait?

@tes-s @corywright

But if Tesla is proposing six stalls... could this be a v4 site with a ratio of three stalls to one supercharger cabinet?
Worth noting that Tesla switched to 3-to-1 stall ratio for V3 sites in many other countries some time ago. Every V3 sites in Australia is either 3 or 6 stalls, with a 9 stall under construction. Many V3 sites in China are 15, 18 or 21 stalls. Some Norwegian sites are similar.

They could just be starting to do this in the US. (I can't think of a reason, other than capacity contention - the 3-stall cabinets have the same electrical capacity as the 4-stall ones.)

yFA2OZw.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
Worth noting that Tesla switched to 3-to-1 stall ratio for V3 sites in many other countries some time ago. Every V3 sites in Australia is either 3 or 6 stalls, with a 9 stall under construction. Many V3 sites in China are 15, 18 or 21 stalls. Some Norwegian sites are similar.

They could just be starting to do this in the US. (I can't think of a reason, other than capacity contention - the 3-stall cabinets have the same electrical capacity as the 4-stall ones.)

yFA2OZw.png
Interesting - hadn't noticed that (US centric focus). I'm not sure we've seen any other 3:1 designed sites yet here in the states yet. It will be interesting to see the the details on this one once they become available.

Yeah based on this - I definitely think it’s Owls Nest. I play golf up there and was chatting with the owner who didn’t confirm completely - but shared they’re installing Tesla chargers along with other EV spaces. Didn’t say “supercharger” but I’m sure this is it. Would make the most sense.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Yeah based on this - I definitely think it’s Owls Nest. I play golf up there and was chatting with the owner who didn’t confirm completely - but shared they’re installing Tesla chargers along with other EV spaces. Didn’t say “supercharger” but I’m sure this is it. Would make the most sense.
Update - the holding company noted on the meeting agenda is also the holding company that owns Owls Nest - so definitely is up there. This is an awesome post and I’ll be a pretty frequent visitor when this is complete.

Project came up for discussion at this evening's Planning Board meeting. The board was exhausted after the marathon 2 hour previous agenda item and had very few questions....

The project calls for 8 Tesla superchargers and 4 non-Tesla EV charging stations as (done by the developer, not Tesla). There were a few novice questions from the board about EV charging, but no concerns expressed.

Project approved. Sounds like their goal is to complete the project within 9-12 months.

@tes-s @corywright @Big Earl - time for a blue pin.