Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Brockway Road (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you get the info regarding Roseville supercharger?
How do you know it's a lease?
How long is the lease for?

If tesla wanted the truckee or Roseville locations to be temporary why not install their temporary stalls? Why go through all the trouble for something you plan on removing in the future.

Popular rumor has had it that The Galleria location lease is up in a couple of years and Rocklin was built to be the replacement since its right on 80 and easier to get to

I was thinking the same thing. Tesla leases the properties for Supercharging (yes, a few are owned.) Truckee #1 may have been a temporary location (as is Roseville) to facilitate crossing the Sierra for us owners on road trips (Interstate 80 to Salt Lake City was completed early in 2015) and Tesla executives going to and from the Gigafactory. This new location may be the "permanent" location, and the Safeway parking lot location was an easy and fast solution. It is entirely possible that the Safeway location will close once the lease is up unless usage warrants it to remain open. Perhaps the highway 267/Brockway Rd. location has additional capacity to be utilized once the Safeway lease term is up.

I will be interested to see if Roseville continues to be open once the initial lease term expires.

This new location seems a lot less convenient than the existing location. If you are heading down Tahoe city or anywhere on the west shore it's a bit out of the way.

This new location seems a lot less convenient than the existing location. If you are heading down Tahoe city or anywhere on the west shore it's a bit out of the way.

Not really, I just got back from Tahoe North Shore over the weekend, and it would have been just as easy to charge there while passing on 267 instead of the original Truckee location off 80 (I think this new location has better dining options too)

Where did you get the info regarding Roseville supercharger?
How do you know it's a lease?
How long is the lease for?

If tesla wanted the truckee or Roseville locations to be temporary why not install their temporary stalls? Why go through all the trouble for something you plan on removing in the future.

1. I had my tires rotated at Rocklin in July 2014. While I was waiting, a Tesla associate and I were talking about Superchargers. The associate told me that Rocklin would be getting a Supercharger along with PV panels. When I asked the individual about Roseville, I was told that Roseville was a temporary location.

2. Roseville is in the parking lot of a large shopping mall. I highly doubt that zoning laws, etc. etc. would permit the property owner to subdivide 1000ft^2 or so and that Tesla would want to tie up capital in owning such a puny parcel of land that serves no purpose other than to facilitate charging their cars. Besides, there have been scores of threads and discussions about Tesla's leasing arrangements for their Superchargers.

3. I have absolutely no idea.

You know, I may not have the credibility of others on this site who have made thousands of posts and are among the earliest people on this forum. I have made but four hundred or so in about eighteen months. I am very careful when I post something factual, and when I am guessing, speculating, opining, or whatever, I try to be clear that what I post is just my thinking, and not necessarily true. I am not mendacious, and I do not feel that your inferences and subsequent challenging of what I wrote earlier was appropriate.

When going to north lake we like to eat at cheesecake factory next to one supercharger and do our grocery shopping at the other. It would be a shame to lose those sites... And indeed without them I might actually need to wait for the car to charge.

1. I had my tires rotated at Rocklin in July 2014. While I was waiting, a Tesla associate and I were talking about Superchargers. The associate told me that Rocklin would be getting a Supercharger along with PV panels. When I asked the individual about Roseville, I was told that Roseville was a temporary location.

2. Roseville is in the parking lot of a large shopping mall. I highly doubt that zoning laws, etc. etc. would permit the property owner to subdivide 1000ft^2 or so and that Tesla would want to tie up capital in owning such a puny parcel of land that serves no purpose other than to facilitate charging their cars. Besides, there have been scores of threads and discussions about Tesla's leasing arrangements for their Superchargers.

3. I have absolutely no idea.

You know, I may not have the credibility of others on this site who have made thousands of posts and are among the earliest people on this forum. I have made but four hundred or so in about eighteen months. I am very careful when I post something factual, and when I am guessing, speculating, opining, or whatever, I try to be clear that what I post is just my thinking, and not necessarily true. I am not mendacious, and I do not feel that your inferences and subsequent challenging of what I wrote earlier was appropriate.
I'm sorry you feel that way, I was just trying to get more information, I was in no way challenging what you wrote.

Not really, I just got back from Tahoe North Shore over the weekend, and it would have been just as easy to charge there while passing on 267 instead of the original Truckee location off 80 (I think this new location has better dining options too)

While the difference wouldn't be huge (~10min), for those that do have a house on the West Shore, it would be less convenient than the Safeway location (1st world problem...). Personally, I've never felt like the current location in the Safeway parking lot was sketchy; however, I've only been there during the day, so maybe it's different at night.

you are right for people going to anywhere from Kings Beach to Incline, but I think you must have missed the reference to West Shore in gregincal's post..

From Tahoe City it takes about 15 minutes longer to wind around the Lake (where speed limits are mostly 35) to Kings Beach and then over 267 to the SC than it does to go down Hwy 89, at higher speed directly to Truckee #1 where they are a mile off I-80.
If they are going over Donner pass to somewhere in the rest of California, they then have to drive an additional 5 miles or so from Truckee #2.
Actually, from Tahoe City (hence West Shore) it is shorter and quicker to go down 89 to River Road and then Brockway Road to Truckee #2 than the Lake route on Hwy 28.

Supercharger - Truckee #2 (location confirmed, opening soon?)

you are right for people going to anywhere from Kings Beach to Incline, but I think you must have missed the reference to West Shore in gregincal's post..

From Tahoe City it takes about 15 minutes longer to wind around the Lake (where speed limits are mostly 35) to Kings Beach and then over 267 to the SC than it does to go down Hwy 89, at higher speed directly to Truckee #1 where they are a mile off I-80.
If they are going over Donner pass to somewhere in the rest of California, they then have to drive an additional 5 miles or so from Truckee #2.
Actually, from Tahoe City (hence West Shore) it is shorter and quicker to go down 89 to River Road and then Brockway Road to Truckee #2 than the Lake route on Hwy 28.

Yes, I overlooked the west shore reference, my bad. Thanks for drawing my attention to it now. Being I usually go to Tahoe Vista or Carnelian Bay in my trips up from Bay Area I think both sites will be equally useful to me on future roads trips. People going Tahoe City or farther south, yes the 2nd SC option is not as ideal... but then again if you have reliable destination charging you won't need any Truckee SC stops going up or down :) (I unfortunately only have 110V / 12A while staying on the lake)

Awesome! Two Supercharger stations in Truckee!
I went by the new site today and construction is well underway. Eight new charging stations! (and only a few miles from the first Truckee station).
This new site is a few miles from I80 so not intended for long distance travel like the downtown site which is very close to I80. This seems more like a destination charger. It is close to Northstar ski area, Martis Camp and Lahontan developments. These are areas where all the new Bay Area money is going and my take is that there are probably more than a few Tesla execs who have vacation homes in this area. This new Supercharger site will be very convenient for them rather than driving all the way into Truckee.

Photos from this morning:
IMG_20151008_105916.jpg
IMG_20151008_105913.jpg
IMG_20151008_105742.jpg

image.jpeg

Shucks. You beat me to it. I wonder if this is in anticipation of heavy use by skiers this winter (assuming it ever snows again!) I have been concerned about the loading at Safeway. On a Friday afternoon, there is often a wait. I figured it might get ugly on ski weekends

Shucks. You beat me to it. I wonder if this is in anticipation of heavy use by skiers this winter (assuming it ever snows again!) I have been concerned about the loading at Safeway. On a Friday afternoon, there is often a wait. I figured it might get ugly on ski weekends

The El Niño forecasts indicate that there should be good snow this winter in the Sierras. Let's hope the forecasts are correct. If you have seen queues already in poor snow years and Tesla continues to sell in Northern California, then it is a no-brainer that this site is going in for additional capacity and avoid the bad PR of queues this winter.