Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Brockway Road (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Truckee is a small town (less than 20,000 people) and two superchargers. Surprising.
It's a small town but the area is a popular tourist destination year round so the population can swell to 50,000 on a busy weekend (and they all want to use the Supercharger on the weekend).
It's also a stop on I80 which is a major East-West highway.
The existing Supercharger does get jammed up on weekends and this will take off some of the pressure.

Truckee is a small town (less than 20,000 people) and two superchargers. Surprising.

Truckee is the northern gateway to Lake Tahoe, where tens of thousands of tourists flock in summer and winter. Squaw Valley (1960 Olympics site) and Alpine Meadows ski areas are about 5 or 6 miles up Hwy 89 from the Truckee #1 SC and Northstar ski area is 4 miles from #2. There must be at least 3,000 million dollar waterfront vacation houses and another 30,000 "low rent" vacation rental houses and condos off the water along the north shore of Tahoe.

Maybe I'm missing something here...why is it surprising?

Like other have speculated i believe you have or will have high up's at the new battery factory living in the area and that is the only reason this one got stuck here. its way less convenient that the current location for I 80 travelers

I would have expected something to pop up the US 50 route before this one got built.

SLT has been much requested and is certainly needed before a 2nd Truckee SC site.

That, and an end to the drought, would be most welcome. There hasn't been a good ski season since the Model S came out.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure that Tesla is aware of how busy the Harris Ranch location is (they have the realtime data on usage) and has plans to address it. But the landlord there may not be willing to give up more ICE parking spots for Supercharger stalls, or there may be an issue with bringing in more power.

I've never seen a general parking problem at HR so I don't think they are in danger of losing customers because the farthest spaces are taken. I also don't know what percentage of people who charge will eat at HR, but considering the location, it's a more feasible place to eat than others on I80. It's not that there aren't places to eat near other SCs. It's that with the trips I've made, it was unlikely or impossible to make HR a quick stopover. I'd rather stop at TR for a quick frozen yogurt and eat at HR than eat at Chipotle and sit at HR for 45 minutes doing nothing. If there were more places to charge on the way, it would be a different story.

Assuming that only one or two cars per hour results in somebody going into the restaurant, and assuming a check size of about $100 (all random assumptions) and this happens for the eight hours that are most likely to coincide with meal times, then that could translate to about $300K to $600K of revenue per year. I don't expect everybody who charges to eat there, but there's not a lot else to do there when charging. Since I don't see people sitting in all the cars that are charging, the people must be going somewhere.

It could be that there are far more people than that who are stopping to eat, but even if there are fewer, it seems like a good deal compared to the value of that number of parking spaces in a sparsely populated area. I would think that the landlord would want more chargers, and I could see Tesla charging landlords for exclusive territory rights for a given number of years. If a company can make more money with it than without it, it's a sound business decision.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the number of sites increase instead, with something halfway between TR and HR, and something halfway between HR and Gilroy. It would be good if it came down more often to which stop to skip and how long to charge at the previous stop in order to do so.

Contacts that we (Sacramento Electric Vehicle Association, SacEV) have with the county/regional officials in the South Lake Tahoe area have reported negotiations with Tesla ongoing for OVER a year to place a SuperCharger setting near the "Y" at South Shore and another install around Placerville on Hiway 50 getting to South Shore. There have been "hiccups" getting locations confirmed, but this is a high priority couple of locations for Tesla according to the "county officials" that we communicate with.

Contacts that we (Sacramento Electric Vehicle Association, SacEV) have with the county/regional officials in the South Lake Tahoe area have reported negotiations with Tesla ongoing for OVER a year to place a SuperCharger setting near the "Y" at South Shore and another install around Placerville on Hiway 50 getting to South Shore. There have been "hiccups" getting locations confirmed, but this is a high priority couple of locations for Tesla according to the "county officials" that we communicate with.

People may balk at the close proximity of several of these, but you have to realize the elevation change going from Tahoe to Placerville. Let alone winter conditions (Think "Donner" episode).

According to Tesla, this Supercharger is now open! Email below. I have updated the thread title. Who is going to be the first to take photos and charge up?

The Truckee, CA - Brockway Road
Supercharger Station is Now Open
We are excited to announce that the Truckee, CA - Brockway Road Supercharger Station is now open. New Supercharger Stations open every week, enabling more options for free long-distance travel, for life.

Details about all of our Supercharger Stations and destination charging locations can be found on our find uspage. Thank you for supporting the transition to sustainable transportation.

Yep. I used 190 rated miles from Folsom supercharger to the Y... Just gave myself enough buffer after I waited extra time as I knew snow was forecast

Yikes - good to know, I have a house up near the Y and was looking at the route (haven't driven it before in the MS) and wondered if Folsom was a stop to do (from San Mateo) - if you used 190 just from Folsom, sounds like an absolute "yes".

I too am shocked that SLT doesn't have anything yet, sounds like the negotiations have been going on for a while now, it will bs perfect once they get one in, especially if it really is near the Y. Any updates on the plans?

Yikes - good to know, I have a house up near the Y and was looking at the route (haven't driven it before in the MS) and wondered if Folsom was a stop to do (from San Mateo) - if you used 190 just from Folsom, sounds like an absolute "yes".

It is a definite yes when it is snowing. Typically I do get from Folsom to the Y with half a battery left... but a blizzard really kills the range. It might not be so bad in a D if you don't use chains.

Coming back is different... by the time you get to Folsom you know what affect any blizzard has had so you know if you need to charge coming home or not by the time you get to Folsom.

I too am shocked that SLT doesn't have anything yet, sounds like the negotiations have been going on for a while now, it will bs perfect once they get one in, especially if it really is near the Y. Any updates on the plans?

If you do get desperate there are HPWCs at California Base that anyone can use, but they seem to only give about 30 amps.
A supercharger would certainly help a lot (unless you stay somewhere like my property that has a 14-50).

If you do get desperate there are HPWCs at California Base that anyone can use, but they seem to only give about 30 amps.
A supercharger would certainly help a lot (unless you stay somewhere like my property that has a 14-50).

Yeah, I'm taking your advice and getting a 14-50 installed at the house, found a local guy in SLT to do it for $450 which seemed reasonable-ish and worth the not having to stress about what I'm going to do for power once up there.

I have an 85D and have never driven up there in the winter, how are the roads and is it doable in a Tesla? All I see are pretty weathered looking 4-Runners up there. My wife has an Audi SUV but I sure would love to take the Tesla since it's such a great road-trip car.

I have an 85D and have never driven up there in the winter, how are the roads and is it doable in a Tesla?
I've gone to North Lake Tahoe many times in my P85. No D. No snow tires the first year, but I did use them last year. All good. The car is awesome in snow/ice/rain, and the dual motor version is just that much better.

I'm thinking that maybe we'll do Epic passes this year and therefore generally end up in South Lake. No idea how I'll charge when there, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. The ideas people are dropping here is useful, but it would be nice if Tesla would finally build superchargers there.