Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Donner Pass Rd. (LIVE Aug 2014, 11 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to California Vehicle Code 22511, property owners with designated EV charging spaces can tow a vehicle if the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes. Law section

But it contains a requirement of a conspicuous sign containing “Unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense. ...” and I've never seen such a sign at any California supercharger I've visited.

I see lots of posts here and reddit about ‘there's a law in California...’. Sure, but without the sign, there can’t be any towing. Plus, the law applies to property owners. Not many of them will tow a customer and risk the backlash.

But it contains a requirement of a conspicuous sign containing “Unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense. ...” and I've never seen such a sign at any California supercharger I've visited.

I see lots of posts here and reddit about ‘there's a law in California...’. Sure, but without the sign, there can’t be any towing. Plus, the law applies to property owners. Not many of them will tow a customer and risk the backlash.
I see lots of tow signs on private property.
I think we need some at Superchargers.

Reactions: Russell

I think just having the signs there will dissuade a lot of people from parking there.
How many people illegally park in handicap spots, fire lanes,...?

Is it done?

Yep
x.jpg

Reactions: Acps110

They seem to have it solved in Italy:
Vincent Everts on Twitter

Something else I noticed about Truckee and no where else and its true for both sites, but more prevalent at the Brockway site. It’s constantly being iced by up to 3 vehicles and most often the same ones every time, while at the same time there are no issues parking in regular parking spots.
I have left notes indicating that the action is just like someone blocking their service station, but it has no effect.
Truckee is the only place that I notice that phenomenon

This is not uncommon for the Truckee area. Unfortunately a lot of lifted pick-up trucks seem to block the SC spots... must be EV envy :cool:

Used this SC on Nov 16. There was a power outage as I was almost done, approx 8pm . The guy who parked next to us asked me for help with getting his charging going and I was about to suggest the scroll wheel reboot when I realized the pedestal lights had gone off .

I used a couple of times the charger over the weekend to recharge and make for the slow charge at my rental (110V). The charger was most of the time 50% occupied. There is a Safeway next to it and the Zurich coffee across the street which is a great spot for lunch or coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_6729.jpg
    IMG_6729.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 54