Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Two Harbors, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what a location in Two Harbors opens up for me: I'm seriously tempted to get a hitch adapter for my TM3 now. It's only the MR.

I'm in far SC MN and we love camping up near Grand Marais. Right now we tow a 15' vintage TT that's less than 2,000lbs with a 2010 Outback. With just the Two Harbor's location if my range get absolutely savaged to more than 1/2 I can easily make it stopping at St Peter, Minneapolis, Hinkley and Two Harbors. I just need an electrified campsite, then. Sure, lots of stops, a little more time than towing with the Subaru but after paying $67 this morning to fill the tank in that thing I could about pay for the hitch adapter with a single camping trip. Yes, yes, I know the TM3 is not officially rated for towing in the US. I live dangerously.

Another location in Grand Marais would be icing on the cake but I think a lot of people are seriously under-estimating how beneficial this Two Harbors location is.

We have a hitch on our MR. Range is about 90 - 100 miles on a full charge in favorable weather towing a flatbed trailer with a golf cart at 55 MPH.

Reactions: trevize1138
Here's what a location in Two Harbors opens up for me: I'm seriously tempted to get a hitch adapter for my TM3 now. It's only the MR.

I'm in far SC MN and we love camping up near Grand Marais. Right now we tow a 15' vintage TT that's less than 2,000lbs with a 2010 Outback. With just the Two Harbor's location if my range get absolutely savaged to more than 1/2 I can easily make it stopping at St Peter, Minneapolis, Hinkley and Two Harbors. I just need an electrified campsite, then. Sure, lots of stops, a little more time than towing with the Subaru but after paying $67 this morning to fill the tank in that thing I could about pay for the hitch adapter with a single camping trip. Yes, yes, I know the TM3 is not officially rated for towing in the US. I live dangerously.

Another location in Grand Marais would be icing on the cake but I think a lot of people are seriously under-estimating how beneficial this Two Harbors location is.
Sorry, a little off topic for this thread, but…
Definitely consider adding the hitch receiver to your 3. I installed mine a year ago and love it:
Torklift Central 2” EcoHitch Stealth Receiver Hitch
Towing close to 2000 lbs is probably pushing it for a 3, based on Tesla ratings in Europe, but having the option is really handy.
I do not tow with mine, I just use it for my bike rack.

The mayor was recalled in last week's election (by a huge margin). The City Council president will take over but they need to schedule a special election.
If the city council still needs to approve this I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed - they have quite a bit going on up there.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkoC
Two Harbors will be great but we do need a Grand Marais SC. I have an off-grid cabin 15 miles north of GM and even with Two Harbors a round trip without spending time on a level 2 in GM is not possible. Maybe EA will put something in GM and a CCS adaptor will solve the problem....

I think it's going to be a very, very long time until you see anything non-Tesla faster than 50kW along the north shore. EA still has huge swaths of interstate to cover before they can even consider covering these more niche locations. And they definitely won't beat Tesla to the punch.

Reactions: MikeMacMan
According to an article from Energy News Network:

"The second budget cycle will expand the fast-charging network by 2,500 miles by focusing on seven corridors: State Highway 61 from Duluth to Grand Portage State Park; State Highway 1 between Ely and Thief River Falls; U.S. Route 59 from Granite Falls to Karlstad, and State Highway 23 connecting Marshall, Pipestone and other locations"

and

"The state required charging stations to have 350 kilowatts of electricity available to prepare for further expansion."

Here is a link to the article, which is now 2 years old.

Reactions: gnavi
Two Harbors will be great but we do need a Grand Marais SC. I have an off-grid cabin 15 miles north of GM and even with Two Harbors a round trip without spending time on a level 2 in GM is not possible. Maybe EA will put something in GM and a CCS adaptor will solve the problem....
But you could spend time on a level 3 in GM with a Chademo adapter. I mean, I know its not ideal but you don't need to spend time on a level 2 as stated. I don't know what vehicle you drive, but the Lutsen Tesla charger delivers 80 amps, gotta have dual chargers....

But you could spend time on a level 3 in GM with a Chademo adapter. I mean, I know its not ideal but you don't need to spend time on a level 2 as stated. I don't know what vehicle you drive, but the Lutsen Tesla charger delivers 80 amps, gotta have dual chargers....
There are very few Tesla’s on the road including no Model 3’s or Y’s that can do level 2 charging above 48 amps.

I will probably grab the Tesla to CCS adaptor when available in the US and plan to hit the 50kWh charger in GM. I drive a M3P and with a deep charge at Two Harbors I won't need to spend much time on a level 2 or the 50kWh.

I will probably grab the Tesla to CCS adaptor when available in the US and plan to hit the 50kWh charger in GM. I drive a M3P and with a deep charge at Two Harbors I won't need to spend much time on a level 2 or the 50kWh.
With the latest FSDbeta software update I was able to do the installation of the Gen 4 charge port ECU in my 2018 M3p. I bought everything back in May to upgrade my car for CCS. Just had to wait nearly 4 months for a Software update. Got the official Tesla adapter from S. Korea. Now I waiting for the opportunity to test it out. The nearest CCS EA fast charger is about 60 miles from my house. The funny part is the Tesla supercharger being located across the street. People will think I’m lost charging at EA 🤣

With the latest FSDbeta software update I was able to do the installation of the Gen 4 charge port ECU in my 2018 M3p. I bought everything back in May to upgrade my car for CCS. Just had to wait nearly 4 months for a Software update. Got the official Tesla adapter from S. Korea. Now I waiting for the opportunity to test it out. The nearest CCS EA fast charger is about 60 miles from my house. The funny part is the Tesla supercharger being located across the street. People will think I’m lost charging at EA 🤣
CCS adapter is great. Used it at a few EA stations and in Trego, WI of all places. Opens up a lot of options where superchargers are not an option. Highly recommend grabbing one if you can.

Reactions: MikeMacMan
I emailed the mayor of Grand Marais this morning asking about any Supercharger (or DCFCs in general) plans and he responded fairly quickly with this:

How would one go about voicing support to Tesla in favor of a Supercharger in Grand Marais?
Tesla Charging on Twitter is opening up voting for new sites. I replied with Grand Marais MN. If lots of people like or do the same, we might get one.