Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tyler, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are driving AWDs. presuming the bigger battery? ABRP shows <50 KW from Lindale to Natchitoches. I wouldn't think that a high pucker factor mission. I've done Coppell to Natchitoches 95% to 10% when I was in a hurry, but my sporting blood turns to urine after 15%. And, alas, I no longer have my truck driver's bladder.
There's been times I've rolled into Natchitoches with about 5-6% left. Other times it's more like 12-13%. A few times the software recalculates I might not make it and redirects me to S-port, anyway. I guess in theory it shouldn't be that tight because my "EPA" range is around 320 miles, but with battery degradation, weather conditions and whatever else, it is what it is.

Coppell to Natchitoches (~274 miles) on 85% of your battery? Lordy, I could make it to Lafayette -- my destination -- with only one stop along the way with that kind of range (if my bladder could stand it).

Reactions: drdumont
There's been times I've rolled into Natchitoches with about 5-6% left. Other times it's more like 12-13%. A few times the software recalculates I might not make it and redirects me to S-port, anyway. I guess in theory it shouldn't be that tight because my "EPA" range is around 320 miles, but with battery degradation, weather conditions and whatever else, it is what it is.

Coppell to Natchitoches (~274 miles) on 85% of your battery? Lordy, I could make it to Lafayette -- my destination -- with only one stop along the way with that kind of range (if my bladder could stand it).
I've given up on trying to figure out the BMS. I just drive and enjoy it, usually in <>200 mile chunks. My trip from DFW- La Plata, MO - Union, Ill - Beech Grove, IN - Chattanooga, Atlanta, NOLA and home was a joy, and I didn't really think about it. JFTHOI I kept a log of predicted and actual SOC on Arrival. It varied 10% or more either side of center. I neither poke the bear or overfeed him. A pilot friend says it is due to headwinds, tailwinds, atmospheric density and that second piece of pie after lunch., or all of those or none of those. Apparently he flies that way, too.

I'm Jonesing for a Model S, but the additional range isn't the reason. Although like the fat girl who likes Silver Haired Old Men, welcome aboard!

I've given up on trying to figure out the BMS. I just drive and enjoy it, usually in <>200 mile chunks. My trip from DFW- La Plata, MO - Union, Ill - Beech Grove, IN - Chattanooga, Atlanta, NOLA and home was a joy, and I didn't really think about it. JFTHOI I kept a log of predicted and actual SOC on Arrival. It varied 10% or more either side of center. I neither poke the bear or overfeed him. A pilot friend says it is due to headwinds, tailwinds, atmospheric density and that second piece of pie after lunch., or all of those or none of those. Apparently he flies that way, too.
I think you're right about all of that.

Since I've taken road trips in Teslas I've come to appreciate how much enjoyable the trip is when you don't rush too much and take longer stops. Maybe that's age, too.

The main thing for me is avoiding the Shreveport and Alexandria stations if possible. Neither are that convenient to get to and lack convenience stores nearby. And I rather like the meat pies at the Natchitoches station 😋

Stopped by yesterday, 5/24, to check out the progress. Looks like there’s a little closed off parking spot enclosed by the Starbucks drive thru line that will be used for chargers. Some pull in spots noted at the end. Going to be awkward with all the cars facing each other while charging. Also, it’ll be a dead end so going to be hard to pull back out or maneuver your way in for some of the inner spots.

Attachments

• IMG_2726.jpeg
    IMG_2726.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 7
Was a Tyler S/C site. 16 V4 stye dispensers but v3 power gear 250KW. Apparently no adapters for other than Tesla. Tesla logo MAY be backlighted below charging handle stow. Haven't loaded the QR code yet. Pedestal next to control cabinets blank with conduits awaiting but has no transformer. Located on West side inside $tarbuck$ drive through loop.
Tyler area go clobbered by high winds lately. Lotsa trees down from Canton to E, of Tyler and to the North above Emory. Motels full of tree service and power restoration trucks. Tyler resident told me there are still areas with no power so I presume this is on the back burner.
At 1030 AM Lindale was half full, but working fine.
UTL FROM QRCODE: https://www.tesla.com/app/landing?product=nontesla
Here's the pix as promised. Sunday June 16 2024. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_20240616_112434046_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240616_112434046_HDR.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240616_112422878_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240616_112422878_HDR.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240616_112321632_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240616_112321632_HDR.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240616_112221891_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240616_112221891_HDR.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240616_112042378_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240616_112042378_HDR.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240616_112010124_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240616_112010124_HDR.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240616_112526083_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240616_112526083_HDR.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 1
Was a Tyler S/C site. 16 V4 stye dispensers but v3 power gear 250KW. Apparently no adapters for other than Tesla.
These dispensers appear to have a Magic Dock. If so, that's great news for most all non-Tesla EVs as well since there are no other fast chargers in the area for them - the closest one is off I-20 in Longview and it costs 85¢/kWh and last month, someone reported being charged $1.15/kWh - that's the gasoline equivalent of 6 miles per gallon! Unlike other V4 dispensers, these do not appear to have the small screens with payment terminals behind the handles.

Pedestal next to control cabinets blank with conduits awaiting but has no transformer.
In addition to the transformer, the switchgear (circuit breaker cabinets) is not yet present.

Last edited:
These dispensers appear to have a Magic Dock. If so, that's great news for most all non-Tesla EVs as well since there are no other fast chargers in the area for them - the closest one is off I-20 in Longview and it costs 85¢/kWh and last month, someone reported being charged $1.15/kWh - that's the gasoline equivalent of 6 miles per gallon! Unlike other V4 dispensers, these do not appear to have the small screens with payment terminals behind the handles.

In addition to the transformer, the switchgear (circuit breaker cabinets) is not yet present.
I am not sure about the Magic Docks. The socket for the handle storage is fixed - nothing moves or wiggles, and it does not look like the Magic Docks I have seen. I did look at the QR Code URL, and no mention kade of a Magic Doc. ISTR those mount in the cavity of the classic V2/V3 Supercharger stand. No LCD screen or display other than a small perhaps backlit Tesla IUD below the handle.

Hadn't thought about disconnects... Doesn't look like room for them on the pad. Perhaps the pad is for switchgear and the transformer elsewhere. I kinda doubt that, it would be a long expensive pull for the secondary. Internal to the cabinets? These look a little different from other 250 KW cabinets. Bigger, I think. And only 3 for 16 dispensers.
<EDIT> I blew up a couple of other pics. he "pad" has conduits coming up in a slot, a group of 4 and another separated by a couple of feet which suggests Big Green Box. The 4 cabinets are definitely larger than the last 20 KW unis I saw. And the protruding door on the cabinet looks different, perhaps disconnect therein? This would, however preclude an emergency shutdown usually provided by an external Bull Switch. (Yeah, I'm Old School).

If you get desperate for a charge there are a couple of Tesla Level 2 Charging adapters and a couple of small non Tesla pay for use units at the motel on the NE corner of Hwy 69 and the Loop or whatever that road is called. It's across the street from the Super 8. There's also the outlets for the Ice Machine, Washer and Dryer at the Super 8. You DO carry your Charging Adapter, a suitable Extension Cord and a set of adapter plugs, don't you? And a Compact Spare?

Last edited:
Looking at Supercharge.info, roughly half of the V4 dispensers currently open are listed as having a Magic Dock, but even those that aren't appear to have Magic Dock hardware even if it is not yet functional - as reported by users.

I'm not a betting man, but if i were, I'd bet these have built-in CCS adapters. :)

Reactions: drdumont
Looking at Supercharge.info, roughly half of the V4 dispensers currently open are listed as having a Magic Dock, but even those that aren't appear to have Magic Dock hardware even if it is not yet functional - as reported by users.

I'm not a betting man, but if i were, I'd bet these have built-in CCS adapters. :)
Don't know where... As I said, the hole for the nozzle doesn't move or appear to have anything mobile or removable. The Charging handle (nozzle?) was a standard NACS. Only one hose, nuthin but Tesla. Still had the clear plastic covering the handle.