Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger wait times as Model 3 numbers increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What else persuaded you to go back to ICE?
To be clear, we intend to go back to ICE but have not yet sold our Tesla and bought a replacement. We're waiting for the new Cayenne to be sold in the US and that is the vehicle that will replace our Tesla. Why? Primarily, we are bored with the Telsa's interior and exterior styling. If Tesla offered a new high end vehicle that had new styling and a more luxurious interior, we'd probably just upgrade from the P85D. But they aren't, and we're going to be moving out of California anyway to a locale where EVs don't make that much sense, so that's another consideration.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Enjoy the gas station and archaic drive experience!
EVs make sense everywhere btw.

I have no problems with gas stations, any more than I have with superchargers. Gas station visits are far shorter in duration, in fact. As for the drive experience, while I like the low end acceleration of the Tesla, I like the way ICE cars operate at higher speeds.

As for the statement that EVs make sense everywhere, that's utterly false. I have a place in a very rural part of a rural state. I've taken our Tesla there a few times and found it to be a very inferior vehicle. There are gas stations even in the most remote of places. EVs make no sense there, and I spend a lot of time in that place.

• Disagree
So far I have not noticed any difference. Some stations are busy, but honestly, the wait times are very rare and even if it happens it's just a few minutes. I have to wait maybe 1 out of 30 or 40 times I visit a Supercharger and if I have to it's always less than 3 minutes. Not a big deal. It seems that Tesla has been good about keeping the Supercharging network growing at the same pace as car sales.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Also remember that many supercharger users are 'local'. They use them even if they can charge at home. A 3 driver will never do that. They are legitimately needing juice to go somewhere.

I have no problems with gas stations, any more than I have with superchargers. Gas station visits are far shorter in duration, in fact. As for the drive experience, while I like the low end acceleration of the Tesla, I like the way ICE cars operate at higher speeds.

Have you ever calculated how much time you spend plugging in vs refilling at gas stations? Unless you are choosing to go to superchargers all the time (which is your choice, not part of the intended experience) or literally drive back and forth across the country on interstates, the time you spend inserting and removing a connector is FAR less than gasoline refilling times.
As to your 'ICE at high speeds' comment... WTF? EVs aren't track vehicles... yet... but outside of that what do you like more? Shifting? Noise? The delay of the transmission to find the best power output of the engine?

As for the statement that EVs make sense everywhere, that's utterly false. I have a place in a very rural part of a rural state. I've taken our Tesla there a few times and found it to be a very inferior vehicle. There are gas stations even in the most remote of places. EVs make no sense there, and I spend a lot of time in that place.

I sincerely hope you are able to receive electric service someday so you can mitigate this problem.

Have you ever calculated how much time you spend plugging in vs refilling at gas stations? Unless you are choosing to go to superchargers all the time (which is your choice, not part of the intended experience) or literally drive back and forth across the country on interstates, the time you spend inserting and removing a connector is FAR less than gasoline refilling times.
As to your 'ICE at high speeds' comment... WTF? EVs aren't track vehicles... yet... but outside of that what do you like more? Shifting? Noise? The delay of the transmission to find the best power output of the engine?

I sincerely hope you are able to receive electric service someday so you can mitigate this problem.

I wasn't arguing that it takes less time to use gas stations. I was responding to a comment saying "enjoy the gas stations" and I noted that a gas station stop is very short, less than 5 minutes and gas stations are everywhere. So it's easy to just pull over, without having to make a detour to find a supercharger, fill up for 5 minutes and then not have to deal with fuel for another 600+ miles.

And as for the prefer ICE at high speeds, I prefer the lower road noise from the ICEs that I use and at least on my Tesla (P85D) the high speed acceleration is not very impressive. And yes, I do like the sound of an ICE as it kicks down and revs up. No knock on the Tesla, as I find it to be a very impressive vehicle on many levels, but there are also many things it doesn't do so well.

Finally, I actually hope I never receive electric service at my cabin, as it is off grid intentionally.

• Disagree
Something else to consider....at least for now....Most of the people who currently own and are driving 3s also have a Model S. But unless you have a 100D the Model 3 has superior range. For this reason I have already used my 3 instead of my S for 3 road trips in the last couple months. I was surprised at how the extra range impacted the amount of time I was at the superchargers, in every case the car was ready to move on before I was done with the bathroom/coffee/snack stop I was on.

Basically I was in and out of the supercharger fast.....I replaced the longer wait times I would normally have with my S with the shorter wait time of the 3, reducing my time spent at the supercharger substantially. Multiply that by all the 3 drivers and you might have a net reduction in supercharger use. Of course all that goes away soon as non current tesla owners start getting their deliveries and when the eventual short range models hit the streets. But it does help give tesla an opportunity to get ahead of the curve.