Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Washington, DC - M Street NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

A new Supercharger is coming to DC! 8 V3 stalls + 2 L2 chargers are coming soon to the Harris Teeter parking lot at 130 M St NE. Parking is free for customers, although I'm not sure what the grace period is.

DC.jpg

This is what exactly what I was searching the forum for. I was just looking to see what the updated expectations were for DC based SCs and saw one was projected soon for NoMa (potentially moved from the one that was expected in SE near Eastern Market/Barracks Row). Interesting these will be V3s and not the 72kW chargers found near Georgetown and in Arlington, VA.

Do we know what it means to have two L2 chargers? Maybe for non-Teslas? I've never seen that at a SC.

I'm interested to see what they do with the proposed (2022) SC in Columbia Heights. That's been on the projected schedule for years now. Would be a lifeline for apartment and condo dwellers in that popular area of DC.

DC SC Location.png

This is about a mile and a half from where I live and also nice because it's very close to an REI/Brewery/two grocery stores (Harris Teeter/Trader Joe's) and the Metropolitan Branch Trail for those that might want to take a walk with their SC time.

Great find and I'm excited to help provide updates.

Last edited:
It must be close as the Tesla website shows both that it's coming and that it's already there simultaneously😆. If you highlight the grey SC it says TO is Q2 2022, if you highlight the red SC it says TO is Q1 2022. I'll try to check progress in the next few days. Fingers crossed.

The permit says issued even though the application still says missing contractor information... not sure what to make of that.

NOMA2.PNG

Permit 2.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I will be among those using them, if they're free of charge. I have a HPWC at home but I always try to use free L2 charging where it's provided - my theory being that demand will create more supply in the long term. That said, I'm consistently surprised that the L2 chargers I most often visit - at 2x Wholefoods and a Trader Joes' - are almost always vacant.

I will be among those using them, if they're free of charge. I have a HPWC at home but I always try to use free L2 charging where it's provided - my theory being that demand will create more supply in the long term. That said, I'm consistently surprised that the L2 chargers I most often visit - at 2x Wholefoods and a Trader Joes' - are almost always vacant.
I suppose that's a rational reason, but as a former owner of EVs that don't have a couple hundred miles of range, and occasionally needed the few additional miles of range that a public L2 station could offer, I would ask that you do try to keep these stations open for folks that actually need them. If someone is willing to try out an EV but can't afford a new 250+ mile model and therefore goes with a used 100 mile vehicle that maybe only gets 75 miles now, it may sour their opinion on EVs if they constantly see Teslas blocking their access to charging stations when it's more likely than not that they live within 30 minutes away and have convenient home charging.

We have a similar setup in Raleigh where there are 2 L2 stations adjacent to a 12 stall urban Supercharger, and it naturally infuriates non-Tesla owners when they see Teslas using the L2 stations when they are literally next to the Superchargers. There may be a valid reason for the Tesla to be using them (maybe they are not local and are doing some shopping that's going to take longer than 45 minutes), but when it gets to be the norm, I can tell you that it gives Tesla owners a pretty sour reputation.