Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Washington, DC - M Street NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely take your point, and - also from a similar former owner's perspective - entirely agree. Let me nuance a little: 99% of the time I go to the grocery store, both L2 chargers are free. I use one of them for thirty minutes, I come out and the other one is still free. I guess, though, that it's possible that two shorter-range EVs have come and gone in that time, so maybe my "demonstrate demand so they'll build more" approach is not the right one. I shall ponder.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I will say that I am as guilty as anyone for occasionally using a charging station in a deck downtown that I never see used (the parking deck is normally full during the day, but deserted at night when I go), so obviously if it's a case of it never being used, then you might as well use it (I'd probably check for Plugshare checkins to validate that assumption). But perhaps actual demand (rather than artificial demand) ought to be what drives further deployment. Besides, my experience with stores like Whole Foods that install charging stations for "green cred" is that the store management isn't aware of or care about the charging stations. When broken or ICEd, they couldn't care less.

I suppose that's a rational reason, but as a former owner of EVs that don't have a couple hundred miles of range, and occasionally needed the few additional miles of range that a public L2 station could offer, I would ask that you do try to keep these stations open for folks that actually need them. If someone is willing to try out an EV but can't afford a new 250+ mile model and therefore goes with a used 100 mile vehicle that maybe only gets 75 miles now, it may sour their opinion on EVs if they constantly see Teslas blocking their access to charging stations when it's more likely than not that they live within 30 minutes away and have convenient home charging.

We have a similar setup in Raleigh where there are 2 L2 stations adjacent to a 12 stall urban Supercharger, and it naturally infuriates non-Tesla owners when they see Teslas using the L2 stations when they are literally next to the Superchargers. There may be a valid reason for the Tesla to be using them (maybe they are not local and are doing some shopping that's going to take longer than 45 minutes), but when it gets to be the norm, I can tell you that it gives Tesla owners a pretty sour reputation.

I generally agree when it comes to public J-1772 stations. However, it's worth noting that the L2 stations at this location are Tesla Wall Connectors. Non-Tesla owners should not have an expectation of being able to use them, nor should they be upset when Tesla vehicles are plugged into them.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I generally agree when it comes to public J-1772 stations. However, it's worth noting that the L2 stations at this location are Tesla Wall Connectors. Non-Tesla owners should not have an expectation of being able to use them, nor should they be upset when Tesla vehicles are plugged into them.
How common is it to have V3s in a parking structure/non-highway applciation like this? I would have expected to see Urban SCs in this type of application.

Perhaps the thinking is that there are enough people in the area, living without the option to charge at home, therefore they can use a V3 SC to top off with the least amount of downtime?

I agree with that then, although you had originally referred to them (and others have as well) as "level 2 charging stations", which while technically correct even for destination chargers, would nowadays imply they were Tesla branded J1772 stations (at least to me). It's hard to tell from the picture whether or not that's the case, but if they are TPC connectors, then I would mostly retract my statement.

How common is it to have V3s in a parking structure/non-highway applciation like this? I would have expected to see Urban SCs in this type of application.

Perhaps the thinking is that there are enough people in the area, living without the option to charge at home, therefore they can use a V3 SC to top off with the least amount of downtime?

Tesla hasn’t opened a new urban supercharger in quite a while. They seem to have gone V3 for all recent public installations. Miami is the most recent urban installation in an think of, with another still under construction… but they’ve been under construction for a looong time.

The idea with this location is that city dwellers who don’t have home charging can combine their charging needs with their regular grocery shopping. Urban supercharger are a bit too slow for a typical grocery store visit, so V3 should work out well.

I agree with that then, although you had originally referred to them (and others have as well) as "level 2 charging stations", which while technically correct even for destination chargers, would nowadays imply they were Tesla branded J1772 stations (at least to me). It's hard to tell from the picture whether or not that's the case, but if they are TPC connectors, then I would mostly retract my statement.

You might be right about them being the J-1772 Wall Connectors. Here is the full resolution image.

520D3838-80F5-42B5-A14B-41A5C812AF48.jpeg

I do see there are “Tesla Vehicle Charging Only” signs.

• Informative
Reactions: Thinkje and RTPEV
Man, it would be really nice if Tesla used a different colored face plate for TWCs that have the J1772 plug vs the Tesla plug. Like a solid green face plate on the wall unit if it is J1772 would be great so that it is very obvious and easily identifiable as available for all cars.

Man, it would be really nice if Tesla used a different colored face plate for TWCs that have the J1772 plug vs the Tesla plug. Like a solid green face plate on the wall unit if it is J1772 would be great so that it is very obvious and easily identifiable as available for all cars.

The ones with J-1772 are silver/gray compared to new Wall Connectors that are white. I know that doesn't really help since Gen 2 Wall Connectors are also silver/gray, but hey, at least you know a white wall connector has the Tesla proprietary connector.

Reactions: mociaf9
Tesla hasn’t opened a new urban supercharger in quite a while. They seem to have gone V3 for all recent public installations. Miami is the most recent urban installation in an think of, with another still under construction… but they’ve been under construction for a looong time.

The idea with this location is that city dwellers who don’t have home charging can combine their charging needs with their regular grocery shopping. Urban supercharger are a bit too slow for a typical grocery store visit, so V3 should work out well.
Maybe it’s easier Tesla to just focus on one SC model for permits, maintenance, and customer expectations.

I was actually thinking V3 might be too fast for most anything besides a pit stop and refreshments. That being said city grocery visits don’t seem to be as much of an event as in the suburbs. Also, it’s 15min roundtrip walk to TJs which is objectively superior to HT.😊