Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Williams, CA - 6th Street (LIVE 18 Dec 2019, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC user @Blup85 found the location of the supercharger in Williams, CA:

I spoke with a building official at the City of Williams, and they have approved building plans for a supercharger to be installed at Granzellas (I think everyone familiar with the area knew that was where it would go) The City is just waiting on the contractor to pull the permit for construction.

Granzella's includes an inn, restaurant, and a gift shop in this area. This will be an extremely welcome addition to I-5, relieving congestion at Colusa and shortening the gaps between Colusa and points south.

Williams, CA

Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-5:
To: Corning, CA - 55 miles
Diversion: 0.6 miles
To: Mt. Shasta, CA - 163.6 miles
To: Grants Pass, OR - 280.7 miles

To us coverage nerds it might not seem as exciting as a new coverage Supercharger, but this is a good density Supercharger.

It splits the 4th largest gap on I-5 (111.1 miles from Sacramento, CA to Corning, CA).
Also, that gap is south of a run of the largest gaps on I-5, so the split could be particularly helpful

Also, Manteca, CA and Sacramento, CA both have relatively large diversions. Gustine, CA to Williams, CA is 170.3 miles, making it easier for those passing through to skip the larger diversions.

Corning-Vacaville is a really tough stretch for my X90D with my camper behind it. I just recently had to ditch the camper a few miles from Vacaville in order to make it. So this is an enormous help for me and is very welcome.

I forgot about the Bay Area and US-101.

To: Vacaville, CA (I-5, I-505) - 58.4 miles
To: Rohnert Park, CA (CA-20, CA-29, l, US-101) - 102.1 miles
To: Windsor, CA (CA-20, CA-29, l, US-101) - 95.1 miles
To: Ukiah, CA (CA-20, US-101) - 86.5 miles
To: Laytonville, CA (CA-20, CA-20/US-101) - 117.8 miles

Last edited:
TMC user @Blup85
at Colusa and shortening the gaps between Colusa and points south.

I think you mean Corning.

Corning has been busy for a few years even during the week can be almost full.

There was a line of 4 this holiday weekend.

I'm excited.

I ate at the deli once, it was quite decent. Lots of options, so this will be a good food charger, more so than Corning.

There is a place behind the gas station and McDonalds that sells garden art. The older man who sells the stuff makes it himself with his family (it retails at a lot of nice garden centers). Its a fun place to go, you'll see it when coming in from the North, you won't miss it. You'll see his latest stagecoach and dragons... Probably very entertaining for little kids. He makes it from the metal of old cars.

Reactions: emupilot
I am a little worried that we will need the Redding supercharger too for the way up to Mt. Shasta.

I tried my best to go from Mt. Shasta to Vacaville this weekend while skipping Corning. I was 95% full but it was hot (not blistering), but the worst part was the two road construction delays that ate an hour out of the trip. Ended up charging in Corning.

I am a little worried that we will need the Redding supercharger too for the way up to Mt. Shasta.

I tried my best to go from Mt. Shasta to Vacaville this weekend while skipping Corning. I was 95% full but it was hot (not blistering), but the worst part was the two road construction delays that ate an hour out of the trip. Ended up charging in Corning.

No doubt that more density and capacity is required.
Coverage: enables journeys.
Density: allows journeys to be optimized
Capacity: supports more cars

The 100+ mile gaps between Superchargers forces drivers either to stop at every Supercharger, or to charge to high states of charge to skip one. With old, low-capacity locations there as well, it's not surprising that there are problems.

Redding is on Tesla's map as a 2019 location.

Reactions: Ulmo
Corning-Vacaville is a really tough stretch for my X90D with my camper behind it. I just recently had to ditch the camper a few miles from Vacaville in order to make it. So this is an enormous help for me and is very welcome.
I remember your posts regarding difficultly with this stretch, and I would guess this stop would be pretty popular for folks towing (future pickup?) So maybe Tesla will incorporate some pulls throughs like Petaluma? They would have to give up half of the larger stalls, but from the looks of the aerial below, cars are using them anyway.

upload_2019-7-9_11-9-1.png

Reactions: ohmman

I Spoke to a Redding buiding official last week, Tesla is in talks, but hasn't formerly submitted. I'll be giving them a routine call every couple weeks to check in.

I forgot about the Bay Area and US-101.

To: Vacaville, CA (I-5, I-505) - 58.4 miles
To: Rohnert Park, CA (CA-20, CA-29, l, US-101) - 102.1 miles
To: Windsor, CA (CA-20, CA-29, l, US-101) - 95.1 miles
To: Ukiah, CA (CA-20, US-101) - 86.5 miles
To: Laytonville, CA (CA-20, CA-20/US-101) - 117.8 miles

The Yuba City Supercharger is about 33 miles east on SR20, and Truckee is 92 miles further east on SR20 via Grass Valley/Nevada City.

Saves a detour into the traffic on Interstate 80 through Sac and is a much more scenic drive.

We could debate the merits of putting a supercharger in Williams vs. other locations, but at least Granzella's is the best possible location in that town. I think they should also put one in Woodland eventually (more amenities there), but that wouldn't serve people driving I-505. Another possibility would be the north end of I-505. There isn't much there but there is a Pilot truck stop.

This is a perfect location. I am super pleased! Hopefully they can make some changes at Corning and really ease up on the congestion in this corridor.
They don't necessarily have to increase Corning. To me, adding more sites like Dunnigan, Willows, Redding and Red Bluff would be preferable to having fewer sites with really high stall count.

Heading from the Bay area to Redding next week. Was the road construction delay around the Caltrans project near Dunsmuir?

Last edited:
Not to be Debbie Downer, but that parking lot doesn’t look big enough. Aren’t 20+ stalls required on all major highways just outside of FS/LA/SD? /s